View Full Version : Took Ritalin During Childhood, Starting on Adderall as an Adult

ThePianist
07-03-17, 04:10 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum, and thought I could receive some keen advice about my current situation. As it says in the title, I was prescribed a daily dose of ritalin (I believe 10-20 mg, nothing large) starting in 3rd grade of elementary school. I was then taken off of it right before 7th grade, and I honestly cannot recall any serious withdrawl symptoms taking effect, besides being extra tired in the first few classes of the day and regaining my love for breakfast and lunch breaks. To be honest, I am skeptical if I was correctly diagnosed with ADHD to begin with, but the reasons I can recall my pediatrician using to justify the diagnosis were my frequent disturbances in class (constantly moving, couldn't stop talking, etc.)

Fast forward to the present: I am about to go into my fourth year of college as an engineering student at a new university (transferring due to a 3+2 program). This past year, my coursework seemed to become extremely difficult to handle. It felt as if the only way to get work done was to set aside an unreasonable amount of time, and do bits and pieces of my work wedged within excessive procrastination habits. At this point I decided I would try Adderall (not proud of doing so without a doctor at first) and I discovered it helped prevent the procrastination habits incredibly. Later on I talked to my doctor about my previous ritalin prescription, and as of today I am on 10 mg XR daily.

Thank you for reading all that, now my questions: Is it possible that I made a mistake looking to these meds again just for help in school? I do fear becoming dependent on it, and I must admit there have been many times I've taken it in really high doses as a party/all nighter social enhancer (this was before I received a prescription).
Also, many people have told me I very well could have anxiety or depression issues, but I was never interested in getting on medications for those disorders. Would it have been a better route to try those first? I am more comfortable with ADHD medication as that is what I have been familiar with and trust.
Lastly, I believe if I am going to keep taking it, I'd like to request a slightly larger dose. Just the 10 mg a day seems like I am coming down at the same time as up, in a way. Would it be foolish to push the dosage up just because I want more of an effect out of it?

This is a very long first post, I know, but I feel the details I've included are needed to receive accurate responses. TL;DR the last sentence.

Little Missy
07-03-17, 04:23 PM
ask your doctor :)

aeon
07-03-17, 06:00 PM
Yes, consult with your doctor.

Also, dependence is natural, and to be expected.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
07-04-17, 06:34 AM
Fast forward to the present: I am about to go into my fourth year of college as an engineering student at a new university (transferring due to a 3+2 program). This past year, my coursework seemed to become extremely difficult to handle. It felt as if the only way to get work done was to set aside an unreasonable amount of time, and do bits and pieces of my work wedged within excessive procrastination habits. At this point I decided I would try Adderall (not proud of doing so without a doctor at first) and I discovered it helped prevent the procrastination habits incredibly. Later on I talked to my doctor about my previous ritalin prescription, and as of today I am on 10 mg XR daily.
I know you have taken stimulants before prescribed by a doctor, and I understand the desperation you can have to want treatment. Doing so on your own though isnt so much the fact that you are doing it without a doctor managing it, its more about making it harder for people needing the meds to get them legitimately. It may seem like you are doing no harm to anyone else and only having this affect you, yourself but these types of things are why doctors are afraid to prescribe stimuants to people that need them.

Thank you for reading all that, now my questions: Is it possible that I made a mistake looking to these meds again just for help in school? I do fear becoming dependent on it, and I must admit there have been many times I've taken it in really high doses as a party/all nighter social enhancer (this was before I received a prescription).
This is another reason why getting stimulant treatment is so tough. Just because you have been prescribed stimulants in the past doesnt mean you can just take them whenever you want. Taking them to party is very suspect because you have already shown you would take them for reasons other than treating adhd.

Also, many people have told me I very well could have anxiety or depression issues, but I was never interested in getting on medications for those disorders. Would it have been a better route to try those first? I am more comfortable with ADHD medication as that is what I have been familiar with and trust.
Lastly, I believe if I am going to keep taking it, I'd like to request a slightly larger dose. Just the 10 mg a day seems like I am coming down at the same time as up, in a way. Would it be foolish to push the dosage up just because I want more of an effect out of it?
How do you plan on getting the dosage you want? Are you going to tell the doctor that you have been self dosing or are you already prescribed the 10mg?

This is a very long first post, I know, but I feel the details I've included are needed to receive accurate responses. TL;DR the last sentence.

I am not trying to rail you and I dont think you are an awful person. Its just really important to me to share my thoughts on taking meds w/o a prescription, misusing them and abusing them. It seems like the risk is only for you, but its a risk that affects all of us.