View Full Version : New to Dexedrine IR:How long dose one dose last for you

AcctUhd456
07-04-17, 11:44 AM
I take 10mg x 3 daily since prescribed yesterday and I'm just wondering when I should time the doses. I'm guessing its 4 hours as someone else mentioned online though when I took 10mg once daily as needed after Vyvanse I didn't watch the clock but it was somewhere around 3-5 hours that I felt a hard rebound effect.

Also If I want to avoid any tolerance issue(biggest pain in the butt for me) how many days off per week should I take for this particular medication?

Do doctors still prescribe Dexedrine spansules and why are they popular on this forum if Vyvanse is the same and lasts longer?Am I better off sticking with dexedrine ir as I only pay $10 and walgreens will always have to order the spansules?

Why do all stimulant meds seem to "lose strength" when I eat a meal even if the meal doesn't contain much of ingredients that would increase the rate of excretion of the med?Is it actually getting weaker or is it just that eating food regardless makes people more drowsy?

:thankyou:

sarahsweets
07-04-17, 12:21 PM
I take 10mg x 3 daily since prescribed yesterday and I'm just wondering when I should time the doses. I'm guessing its 4 hours as someone else mentioned online though when I took 10mg once daily as needed after Vyvanse I didn't watch the clock but it was somewhere around 3-5 hours that I felt a hard rebound effect.
Every four hours is the basic idea.

Also If I want to avoid any tolerance issue(biggest pain in the butt for me) how many days off per week should I take for this particular medication?
Are you saying that all the other times you gain a tolerance to amphetamines? Generally thats more the exception than the rule. Its hard to prevent something that may or may not happen so I say take it everyday. Its prescribed that way right?

Do doctors still prescribe Dexedrine spansules and why are they popular on this forum if Vyvanse is the same and lasts longer?

Because vyvanse isnt the same thing as dexedrine. Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, dexedrine is just amphetamine. Their mechanism of action is very different. Vyvanse isnt as strong as dexedrine mg for mg. Vyvanse is supposed to last 12 hours dex ir 4, and dex spansules about 8.
Am I better off sticking with dexedrine ir as I only pay $10 and walgreens will always have to order the spansules?
You should try both and stick with what works.

Why do all stimulant meds seem to "lose strength" when I eat a meal even if the meal doesn't contain much of ingredients that would increase the rate of excretion of the med?Is it actually getting weaker or is it just that eating food regardless makes people more drowsy?

With vyvanse eating is good. it works once it reaches the gut and is converted whereas dex works much faster and deals more with the bloodstream.

AcctUhd456
07-04-17, 12:46 PM
Yea but doesn't taking it everyday cause to tolerance skyrocket vs taking a couple days off? I haven't been taking days off with vyvanse as I got in the habit of taking everyday but I think I want to for dex to avoid any interpersonal/anxiety issues with taking stims everyday as it seems to exasperate those things.

Do the spansules actually last 8 hours though as most meds advertise more than what actually is similar to vyvanse as it seemed to last 7-9 maybe 10 hours for me. Are the spansules only generic just like dex? Do the spansules work in the bloodstream and affected by food just like dex ir?

By the way what meds do you take now as I know you have experience with many and how do these meds affect you compared to dexedrine ir/spansules?Have you tried Desoxyn? I would never bring it up to my doc though it seems to be the closest "magic pill" concerning ADHD but I see lots of pharmacy regulations and tablet dosing issues with it

aeon
07-04-17, 03:37 PM
Dextroamphetamine sulfate as IR tablets last me about 5 hours.

At clinical doses, tolerance is rarely experienced, and there is no need to take days off. Your ADHD doesn't.

I took spansules for years. They are still prescribed because for an equivalent dose, they are more than 2 times as strong as Vyvanse. They are more expensive than IR, but less than Vyvanse. For me, spansules were effective for about 9 hours.

I don't experience any change in effectiveness of my meds when I eat, but I never take my meds with food.

I experience a great reduction of anxiety when I take dextroamphetamine. That you experience an increase in yours may mean it is not the right med for you.

Cheers,
Ian

AcctUhd456
07-04-17, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I experience a reduction in anxiety as well however when I take any stimulant med for days and weeks in a row without a day off I start to experience some anxiety/irritability. It could also be due to sleep issues as I had that on vyvanse especially when taking it twice a day.Thank God I'm off that. I am optimistic for dextroamphetamine sulfate. Are the spansules supposed to be dex ir tablets in one in terms of how long it lasts and strength?

sarahsweets
07-05-17, 05:55 AM
Yea but doesn't taking it everyday cause to tolerance skyrocket vs taking a couple days off? I haven't been taking days off with vyvanse as I got in the habit of taking everyday but I think I want to for dex to avoid any interpersonal/anxiety issues with taking stims everyday as it seems to exasperate those things.
I dont believe daily medication causes your tolerance to skyrocket. I believe its possible for you to gain a tolerance to the meds effectiveness if you ABUSE it. If you abuse it you are purposely taking alot more which would mean the therapuetic doses might not work. People often confuse the way medication makes them feel with effectiveness. If you are trying to gauge how medication works by how it feels then you arent self evaluating very well. You have to look at symptom control. Are your symptoms getting better or worse?

Do the spansules actually last 8 hours though as most meds advertise more than what actually is similar to vyvanse as it seemed to last 7-9 maybe 10 hours for me.
I have medical absorption issues so none of the stimulants have lasted as long as they were supposed to. I tried vyvanse (even though I hated it) for a month and I was lucky to get 8 hours. Ir meds I would get about 3 and the spansules I would get about 5. I am the exception on this I think.

Are the spansules only generic just like dex? Do the spansules work in the bloodstream and affected by food just like dex ir?
The brand name of dex spanules used to be called Dextrostat and I do not think there is a brand anymore. I have never noticed food specifically creating an issue but I take my meds right when I wake up which is always before I have eaten.

By the way what meds do you take now as I know you have experience with many and how do these meds affect you compared to dexedrine ir/spansules?Have you tried Desoxyn?
I took dex for about 3 years and it was mostly good. I only switched to adderall due to insurance issues and I have been on either one or both for over 13 years. I have been taking adderall consistently for about 5 years. The dex was mostly ok but I found out that the levoamphetamine in adderall was more suited to help me with procrastination, motivation and task initiation.
I have never tried desoxyn.

I would never bring it up to my doc though it seems to be the closest "magic pill" concerning ADHD but I see lots of pharmacy regulations and tablet dosing issues with it

Its an old school med-and by that I mean its been around for like 50 years. If anything I would think doctor's would be more concerned with adderall since its so abused by college kids.
I do not believe that the average person gains tolerance with clinical doses.

Little Missy
07-05-17, 06:01 AM
is the Dexedrine working well for you?

foreverwarrior
07-05-17, 01:13 PM
Dexedrine works well for me. It's got its perks and its got its pitfalls. I take 60mg IR daily, + two 15 mg spansules spaced out. I'm a ****ty metabolizer, so the spansules help even out the drop offs I get from IR - which for me are abrupt and crappy. Dexedrine can help me focus, relieve symptoms (especially anxiety as someone else mentioned), but if I don't MAKE myself do things, I dont. I could take it and sit and think about what I'm going to do today - the whole day. And accomplish nothing. That's the pitfall. Adderall offers a bit of a kick to get going, dex doesn't (for me). But that's also a thing I struggle with regardless of meds.

Little Nut
07-07-17, 12:05 PM
****SNIPPAGE FOR CLARITY****

Assuming you are talking about Dex IR. Everyone seems to be different. For me a dose lasts ~2.5 - 3 hours. Other people experience different timings. This is independent of dosage. Whether 5 mg or 15mg. This is one of the things to find out while YOU are titrating. HOW LONG BETWEEN DOSES. For me I started with a single daily dose to find this time out. That way I could set how often between doses to get coverage for the whole day. The other thing to figure out during titration is the PROPER DOSAGE FOR YOU. Too low and poor symptom treatment. Too high and you risk undesirable side effects.

Also If I want to avoid any tolerance issue(biggest pain in the butt for me) how many days off per week should I take for this particular medication? IMVHO at therapeutic doses tolerance is not an issue.

Do doctors still prescribe Dexedrine spansules and why are they popular on this forum if Vyvanse is the same and lasts longer?Am I better off sticking with dexedrine ir as I only pay $10 and walgreens will always have to order the spansules?

MY preference is IR because it is easy to monitor and adjust if needed. Also, my insurance formulary is the most flexible for Dextroamphetamine IR.

Can't speak for your situation, but iirc pH in your stomach and blood influences absorption and excretion and the foods you eat affect these. Personally I wouldn't try to control these, especially at the same time you are starting a med. Just eat as you normally do and figure out what dosage and dosage frequency work for you.

HTH, -LN

AcctUhd456
07-07-17, 04:57 PM
How do I reply from quoting like you have done above?

AcctUhd456
07-07-17, 04:58 PM
Yes it is!

AcctUhd456
07-07-17, 05:03 PM
What is the Vyvanse to dexedrine conversion?

I think I read that 70mg vyvnanse=22.5mg dexedrine

Does that mean 2 doses back to back of 10mg of dexedrine?

My 10mg of dex seems way stronger than 40mg vyvanse I become somewhat introverted yet focused

aeon
07-07-17, 06:36 PM
What is the Vyvanse to dexedrine conversion?

Conversion Factors for Common ADHD Medications (http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173221)

To make it simple, multiply a Dexedrine dosage by 2.47 to get a Vyvanse equivalent.

Or, divide a Vyvanse dosage by 2.47 to get a Dexedrine equivalent.

Cheers,
Ian

AcctUhd456
07-10-17, 10:36 PM
I will probably answer my own question since it seems so obvious but it makes me mad people never point this out.

After I divide vyvanse strength by 2.47 is the number I get suppose to be split in 2 equal doses since Vyanse lasts at least 2 times longer than dex in duration?

For example converting 40mg vyvanse to dexedrine

40/2.47=16.2mg

I assume it would be 8mgx2 doses back to back right?

16.2mg dex at one time would be way more strong in effects than 40mg vyvanse would lol ....

I don't know why people forget to put that part when talking about adderall xr,vyvanse,dexedrine conversions.

Since I'm prescribed 10mg tabs with a half score should I take the full 10mg or 1/2 the tab plus breaking the other 1/2(very inconvenient since its hard to break that small tab and it smears so its not like its going to be an equal 7.5 every dose). Its weird because 7.5mg and 10mg both work good for me depending on how much sleep I get. On good sleep 7.5 mg in the morning seems to work fine and 10mg would be having me with "blinders" on with a horrible headache/dry mouth. On low sleep 7.5mg seems low and 10mg sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depeding how low my sleep was.(I need to get my sleeping pattern fixed as I wake up 5:30AM for religious obligation and can't seem to go back to sleep after for a bit before work/class.It's amazing that the only real thing that effects the efficacy of these meds is sleep and people,including me in the past,put so much emphasis on supplements which is a waste of money-just a random rant. ! thankyou: for the conversion rate number

aeon
07-11-17, 12:20 AM
After I divide vyvanse strength by 2.47 is the number I get suppose to be split in 2 equal doses since Vyanse lasts at least 2 times longer than dex in duration?

Not necessarily...the conversion is simply based on the potential available dex base...it doesn't speak to bioavailability, response curves, etc.

16.2mg dex at one time would be way more strong in effects than 40mg vyvanse would lol ....

Having had both medications, and both spansule and IR for the dex, I'm not sure I could agree with that, at least based on my experiences with them.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Nut
07-11-17, 08:58 PM
How do I reply from quoting like you have done above?

Put the text between a Quote Command and an End Quote command.

Quote = (Quote)
End Quote = (/Quote)

Instead of parentheses use brackets. I couldn't show w/ brackets because it would show as quoted text and not what characters were input. (Little brain dead so hope this made sense.)

Example: (QUOTE)Put the text between the quote/end quote commands.(/QUOTE)

AGAIN USE [] AND NOT ()

HTH, -LN

D WoodIce
07-23-17, 06:28 PM
20 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 20 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 5.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
30 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 30 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 8.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
40 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 40 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 11.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
50 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 50 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 14.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
60 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 60 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 17.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
70 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 70 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 20.8 mg of dexamfetamine.

and just to clear up the misinformation posted in this thread...

lisdexamfetamine dimesylate IS dexamphetamine but it is dexamphetamine that is bonded to an amino acid called lysine.
The lysine is broken away leaving plain old regular dexamphetamine floating through your body.
it's "mechanism of action" is exactly the same, as it is the same drug.
It is simply it's mechanism of metabolisation that is different.

sarahsweets
07-24-17, 07:35 AM
20 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 20 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 5.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
30 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 30 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 8.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
40 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 40 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 11.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
50 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 50 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 14.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
60 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 60 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 17.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
70 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 70 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 20.8 mg of dexamfetamine.

and just to clear up the misinformation posted in this thread...

lisdexamfetamine dimesylate IS dexamphetamine but it is dexamphetamine that is bonded to an amino acid called lysine.
The lysine is broken away leaving plain old regular dexamphetamine floating through your body.
it's "mechanism of action" is exactly the same, as it is the same drug.
It is simply it's mechanism of metabolisation that is different.

Under the tongue does NOT count as its not listed as an acceptable use with the prescribing/ oral use guidelines.
And you are not a doctor so you cant tell someone that its ok. Under the tongue is popular with people misusing and abusing drugs because the effects are felt much quicker.The same goes for chewing medications.
When it somes to spanules, crushing the beads also defeats the release mechanism.

CharlesH
07-25-17, 03:56 AM

While we're on the topic of conversions, I think these stats are misleading. Dexamfetamine is NOT equal to dexedrine. Dexedrine is dexamfetamine sulfate. The sulfate has weight to it. For instance the 70 mg vyvanse = 20.8 mg dexamfetamine is probably equal to about 30 mg of dexedrine (dexamfetamine + sulfate). Also, Vyvanse tends to have greater bioavailability, which throws off simple mathematical ratios.

And why would anyone try taking Vyvanse sublingually? So many things wrong with this. It's a prodrug that is metabolized in the bloodstream, so even if you were trying to abuse a stimulant, it'd be a pretty expensive waste of money. Sublingual meds are designed to not damage your teeth, and since Vyvanse wasn't designed for this purpose, you shouldn't trust the inactive fillers in Vyvanse. Please don't abuse meds. It makes life difficult for the rest of us who actually need and and use it responsibly. I'm not directing this at you, just at people in general :)

aeon
07-25-17, 10:05 AM
While we're on the topic of conversions, I think these stats are misleading.

They’re not...they are accurate, if not precise.

If you link to my sticky posted earlier in the thread, you can find conversions for all the typical ADHD meds, and the equivalencies are based on chemical bases, not their salts and whatnot, so mass is taken into account.

Cheers,
Ian

Jenn1202
07-28-17, 12:07 AM
Dex IR: 4 ish hours. Dex ER: 5-6 hours but it barely does anything. For me Dex has a cumulative effect. Taking 5 mg IR and then 1.25 mg four hours later keeps me focused for a good 6-7 hours.

Question
07-31-17, 09:35 PM
In my experience dex instant release lasts about 4 hours BUT the timing seems to vary a lot depending on what i eat and whether i take it on a full stomach or not.

In general, dex seems to work less effectively when taken after a meal on a full stomach. My doctor used to tell me that the opposite was supposed to happen, but i read a post here where someone said that the stomach acid destroys some of the medication, which i guess makes sense. The difference is pretty large...sometimes the dose seems to do nearly nothing.

I've also noticed that dex sometimes lasts a lot shorter than the normal 4 hours or so...i'm not exactly sure what causes it. But by the 3 hour mark, I feel out of it and unable to concentrate. I can't narrow down a common factor for this...my latest theory is that it has to do with eating too many carbs, since too many carbs can cause a carb crash and make you tired, etc.

Friendlyriver
08-01-17, 10:30 PM
I have recently stopped taking Prozac which I was on for ages and now my regular smooth day of dosing and re-dosing on ir has gone crazy.

I used to take 10mg ir at 7, 10:30, 2:00, 5:30 .... NOW though - it feels like an intense crash about 2 hours after taking it, so basically the duration has been shortened with the absence of the prozac or the prozac was masking part of the up and down on the dex and now I am feeling the full rollercoaster of multiple ir doses. I cant tell if it is stronger or not. I have been feeling more ups and downs and it sucks.

I am seriously thinking of switching to the ER spansules, which I didn't really like while I was on the prozac. Maybe they will act differently now...