View Full Version : Bipolar dx but I think they are wrong...

dihard
07-04-17, 02:24 PM
I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and put on straterra for a 2 week trial. I did not feel much of a difference after the 2 weeks so they took back the ADHD diagnosis and told me I was bipolar. I know that I am not bipolar. I was diagnosed with OCD in my 20's but I do not believe I have this either. The obsessive cleaning is actually more relaxing and stress relieving than just sitting.

Anyway, I lost my job at that point and with that my insurance. Time for a new doctor. I want to try meds again but I want to know if others feel the same way.

I am a 36 y/o female. As a young child, I would constantly tell my mom how bored I was. I would get some relief from the boredom by cleaning (this was around the age of 7). Cleaning seems to somewhat quiet my thoughts. Instead of thinking of everything, I can just think of everything cleaning related (meaning constant chatter in my head about what needs to be cleaned or organized next).

Everyday is the same. I constantly think about everything that I need to get done. I will be in my boss' office explaining something and all of the sudden I am blurting out a task (totally unrelated) that needs to be done, and then I am back to the topic. I make my boss nervous because when I talk to him, I am constantly moving (stepping back and forth or fidgeting). I feel like I am non-stop all day and the only relief I get is from cleaning or alcohol.

And done. Thanks for any insight.

Emre22
07-04-17, 02:29 PM
I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and put on straterra for a 2 week trial. I did not feel much of a difference after the 2 weeks so they took back the ADHD diagnosis and told me I was bipolar. I know that I am not bipolar. I was diagnosed with OCD in my 20's but I do not believe I have this either. The obsessive cleaning is actually more relaxing and stress relieving than just sitting.

Anyway, I lost my job at that point and with that my insurance. Time for a new doctor. I want to try meds again but I want to know if others feel the same way.

I am a 36 y/o female. As a young child, I would constantly tell my mom how bored I was. I would get some relief from the boredom by cleaning (this was around the age of 7). Cleaning seems to somewhat quiet my thoughts. Instead of thinking of everything, I can just think of everything cleaning related (meaning constant chatter in my head about what needs to be cleaned or organized next).

Everyday is the same. I constantly think about everything that I need to get done. I will be in my boss' office explaining something and all of the sudden I am blurting out a task (totally unrelated) that needs to be done, and then I am back to the topic. I make my boss nervous because when I talk to him, I am constantly moving (stepping back and forth or fidgeting). I feel like I am non-stop all day and the only relief I get is from cleaning or alcohol.

You can't understand that you are bipolar by yourself

Nobody is going to ask themselves am i having manic episode? when they feel good

but it depends on how good you are also what you do

So let your doctor decide what you are, especially if they are concerned about bipolar

"NON-STOP" without any substance?
Hmm have you been like that whole your life? or is it new thing?
if it is new , then they may be right about bipolar

dihard
07-04-17, 02:38 PM
I do not get any depressive episodes which is why I do not believe that I am bipolar.

I go non stop until I wear myself completely out or just get so stressed out that I drink so that I can finally relax. I have always been like this.

I did not trust the person diagnosing me.

He was a therapist and we only met for 30 minutes before he had made this dx. The facility I went to would have the therapist do the screening and recommendations and then a psychiatrist would sign off. I never saw the psychiatrist.

mrh235
07-04-17, 08:15 PM

Why would they say you're bipolar? How did you respond to straterra? Straterra tends to be very ineffective for ADHD. I always say "straterra is StraTERRIBLE" . Have a heart to heart discussion with your physician and ask them why they're inclined to believe you're bipolar. Emotional dysregulation is a part of ADHD, and ADHD is often misdiagnosed as bipolar. Concerta/ritalin or adderall/vyvanse would probably help your adhd.

Ask for a second opinion.

sarahsweets
07-05-17, 05:03 AM
Once again, this seems like a doctor throwing the BP diagnosis at someone because they cant bother digging any further. I am BPII so I say that with experience. I dont know why it seems so prevalent lately. You do not sound bipolar to me, but I am not a doctor. Is it possible that you have some OCD tendencies? OCD isnt about getting something done, its about coping with anxiety and stress with repetitive actions or thoughts that are soothing. At least I think thats sort of the correct way of explaining it in layman's terms.

mrh235
07-05-17, 08:12 AM
Once again, this seems like a doctor throwing the BP diagnosis at someone because they cant bother digging any further. I am BPII so I say that with experience. I dont know why it seems so prevalent lately. You do not sound bipolar to me, but I am not a doctor. Is it possible that you have some OCD tendencies? OCD isnt about getting something done, its about coping with anxiety and stress with repetitive actions or thoughts that are soothing. At least I think thats sort of the correct way of explaining it in layman's terms.

That makes much more sense agreed with everything you say. I like what you said about OCD. I used to have OCDish style behavior before I got my ADHD under control, it was basically a coping mechanism and maybe even part of hyperfocusing gone really far off the tracks.

dihard
07-05-17, 12:59 PM

Thank you for this. I thought the same thing when I was given the bipolar diagnosis. It felt like within a few minutes he was so focused on my being bipolar that he was trying to convince me that I was.
I could definitely have some OCD tendencies in the way that you explained. I suppose cleaning the kitchen floor 3+ times a day could be seen as repetitive :)

dihard
07-05-17, 01:50 PM
Why would they say you're bipolar? How did you respond to straterra? Straterra tends to be very ineffective for ADHD. I always say "straterra is StraTERRIBLE" . Have a heart to heart discussion with your physician and ask them why they're inclined to believe you're bipolar. Emotional dysregulation is a part of ADHD, and ADHD is often misdiagnosed as bipolar. Concerta/ritalin or adderall/vyvanse would probably help your adhd.

Ask for a second opinion.

I just felt the side effects but that was about it from the straterra. It is impossible to get in with a psychiatrist in my area. None of them are taking new patients but hopefully my PCP will be able to help out. I have an ppt tomorrow with my primary so I will update here. Thank you!

mrh235
07-05-17, 04:31 PM
I just felt the side effects but that was about it from the straterra. It is impossible to get in with a psychiatrist in my area. None of them are taking new patients but hopefully my PCP will be able to help out. I have an ppt tomorrow with my primary so I will update here. Thank you!

I strongly recommend having your PCP refer to a psych. PCPs really don't know what they're doing a lot of them.

You probably had straterra side effects because straterra isn't a very good medicine for most people. It gave me nose bleeds and just made me feel awful.

Be very direct to your doctor that straterra isn't realy much of an ADHD medicine (it's a practically off the label ADHD med, on the label anxiety medicine) and the side effects you experienced were just the result of straterra being a bad medicine for you, not you being bipolar say that directly.

Lunacie
07-05-17, 06:54 PM
Reacting or not reacting to one of many different meds for adhd doesn't prove
you have it or prove that you don't.

Strattera isn't even the first line of treatment for adhd. That would be stimulant
meds.

I went to a clinic that worked much like yours, although the therapist couldn't
recommend meds. I was actually there for anxiety issues, but the therapist also
put bipolar into my file.

When I saw the psychiatrist for the meds, he commented on the bipolar dx and
I told him that there is no history of bipolar whatever in my family, but there
are tons of family members with adhd and autism, so I reject the dx of bipolar.
As far as I know, that's still my file there, if they still have it after 5 years of
not going back.