View Full Version : My issues with dexamphetamine

Riri088
07-06-17, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone, long time lurking these forums and first time posting..

a bit of background on my ADD:
I was unofficially diagnosed with ADD when i was 8 years old and officially when i was 19 ( only 2 years ago)
I have shown symptoms practically since i was a baby, never responded to things like my sisters

:)WARNING WALL OF TEXT, TLDR AT BOTTOM:)

Quiet as a toddler would not talk to anyone, as a young child i was still quiet and always ' off with the fairies' very impulsive with my decisions and would do things subconsciously like moving things around, touching other peoples cups at the table without even realizing was doing anything, kicking under the table without knowing i was, and even tickling my own foot with my hand when i was sitting at the TV, and kept telling my sister to stop it, only to look down and see that it was me all along, and i could go on with this list forever.

All my life ive basically been at the point of almost non functional in the sense that anything that requires cognitive function is a MASSIVE struggle for me ( this is before medication) and learning to drive... lets just say my mum deserves a medal for actually teaching me. I absolutely know how to drive now, but without my medication you would think I was still on my learners. I try my best not to drive without my medication, which is difficult at night as i cant take it, but i keep night drives short, and dont go in traffic hours.

I am so glad to finally have medication and it helps me in so many ways ( although, definitely doesn't feel like a "cure" but i am at my best on my medication.

The problem is, so many things in my life almost REQUIRE me to take my medication, but the side effects i get just make me not want to take it. I get dry mouth every single day and i drink water ALL day and ALWAYS have my water bottle with me, which helps but I still have dry mouth and always feel very thirsty ( and yes, ive accepted that i have to go to the bathroom 100x a day) this is unpleasent but not the worst.

I also sometimes get very bad heart palpitations, particularly when it is wearing off, but when i take my next dose a the right time and it doesn't start to wear off, i get some chest pain and my BPM is very high, but its not intolerable. This is not everyday, but at least every week it happens

My sleep is effected even when it seems to have completely worn off and im very irritable in the late afternoon. I can also get very emotional, and cry or get angry over things that i would normally be able to talk out ( although, i have always had a problem with quick and obvious emotions, but in my adulthood I have more control over it then i used to ) but it is definitely much more overwhelming t the end of the day when my medication is wearing off.

I am prescribed 30mg a day
10mg 3x a day

This dose actually had less side effects when i first started taking them but there was a time where i had to cancel my next appointment with my psychiatrist because i could not afford it, but re booked. The booking fell on a day that was a week after my medication finished, and so, of course, i missed the appointment.

Because i missed the appointment the receptionist told me i cannot make appointments anymore, and i couldnt speak to him to explain

after months of trying to find a new phyciatrist that i could afford, my mum spent hours going back and forth with the reception, and eventually got to speak to my phyc, explained what happened and that I recently moved out of home and didnt have her to take me and remind me, and that i was not on my medication and she got me an appointment ( bless her )

since then i have not beeen able to take my doses properly. I take 1 (5mg) in the morning ( sometimes 2 ) and 1 at noon to get me through the rest of the day.

This dose does not give me nearly the amount of concentration and steadyness i had before, and i still get dry mouth and some of the symptoms i meantioned earlier, but if i attempt to start taking it the way i used to the side effects are too much for me. Dizziness, heart rate too high, palpiations, moodiness (whether it be positive emotions or negative, they are heightened ) head aches, nausea and even sometimes my ears would feel like im at the top of a mountain for no reason ( high pressure in my ears and cant pop them)

ZERO appetite even when i do finally feel hunger, i am repulsed by the smell, texture and look of food and everyone knows me as a total food lover. I love cooking and love all kinds of flavors and different food. As a child without medication I would overeat and would sneak food all the time just out of impulse and boredom and not from hunger. I was the only person in my family who would do this and i was a ... cuddly child.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Whenever i try to explain to someone close to me i just feel like im complaining all the time and theres always SOMETHING wrong with me. I dont know anyone who has ADD, or who even actually understands fully what it is, except for my mum and ive put enough on her through my life. I would love to hear about all your experiences.

TLDR;
was on meds for a year, took prescribed dose of 30mg dexamphetamine, 10mg 3x a day, excellent cognitive improvement but unpleasent side effects. off it for at least 6 months from due to financial circumstances. Back on now and can barely handle half the dose in terms of side effects, but am not getting the same cognitive improvements on the lower dose.
Its like my brain loves it, and the rest of my body hates it.

:confused:

sarahsweets
07-06-17, 02:48 AM
By dexamphetamine, do you mean dexedrine? Or adderall? I always forget which one because there is dextroamphetamine and dexamphetamine. Do you think you would do better on a different medication like concerta or ritalin?

someothertime
07-06-17, 07:40 AM
heart issues are a huge flag..... you gotta get that checked out ASAP .... take a multi, avoid coffee..... get good rest....... you might need to abstain for a few days and get a GP to have some tests done..... just to make sure your not in any major danger..... get some blood tests done too.....

for now...... you general health needs assessment.

i can relate to alot of what you say..... going down a dose..... or not taking for some time can whack your system....... keep up the water....... and keep things as simple as possible until your general health and day to day stabilize a little....

AFTER THAT:
dex medium / long term for most..... requires strict / routine / good;

-diet / exercise / sleep
-downtime / efficiency management
-sometimes precursor suppliment ( magnesium / fish oil / etc. )

now... it is not easy... keep us updated....

Riri088
07-06-17, 09:23 AM
By dexamphetamine, do you mean dexedrine? Or adderall? I always forget which one because there is dextroamphetamine and dexamphetamine. Do you think you would do better on a different medication like concerta or ritalin?

I live in Australia, and it isn't branded. I get a bottle that just says dexamphetamine Sulfate.
My dr said he didn't reccomend ritlkn for me, I haven't been told about concerta before. I'm a little scared to change medicine as I worry that even if it helps all the symptoms, what if it doesn't work as effectively for my concentration as dex

Riri088
07-06-17, 09:25 AM
heart issues are a huge flag..... you gotta get that checked out ASAP .... take a multi, avoid coffee..... get good rest....... you might need to abstain for a few days and get a GP to have some tests done..... just to make sure your not in any major danger..... get some blood tests done too.....

for now...... you general health needs assessment.

i can relate to alot of what you say..... going down a dose..... or not taking for some time can whack your system....... keep up the water....... and keep things as simple as possible until your general health and day to day stabilize a little....

AFTER THAT:
dex medium / long term for most..... requires strict / routine / good;

-diet / exercise / sleep
-downtime / efficiency management
-sometimes precursor suppliment ( magnesium / fish oil / etc. )

now... it is not easy... keep us updated....

Thank you that makes me feel alot better. I will try to improve all those things and see if that helps, I will try fish oil too

It definately hasn't been as easy as just taking any other medicine

Pilgrim
07-08-17, 03:08 PM
This is good advice above. Exercise will help you here. I do find that my response to medication is a little cyclical no matter how much I tinker with it.
I do find that looking for the right time NOT to take medication is few and far between.

I've decided that the worst side effect of medication is dry mouth. There are drops that you can take in the mouth that will increase fluid in mouth cause this can really hurt gums and teeth.

Kunga Dorji
07-13-17, 11:11 PM

A brief FYI: Dextroamphetamine and dexamphetamine are the same thing.
Dextroamphetamine is the name used in the US, and dexamphetamine is more prevalent in the UK and Australia.

Kunga Dorji
07-13-17, 11:23 PM
This dose does not give me nearly the amount of concentration and steadyness i had before, and i still get dry mouth and some of the symptoms i meantioned earlier, but if i attempt to start taking it the way i used to the side effects are too much for me. Dizziness, heart rate too high, palpiations, moodiness (whether it be positive emotions or negative, they are heightened ) head aches, nausea and even sometimes my ears would feel like im at the top of a mountain for no reason ( high pressure in my ears and cant pop them)

ZERO appetite even when i do finally feel hunger, i am repulsed by the smell, texture and look of food and everyone knows me as a total food lover. I love cooking and love all kinds of flavors and different food. As a child without medication I would overeat and would sneak food all the time just out of impulse and boredom and not from hunger. I was the only person in my family who would do this and i was a ... cuddly child.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Whenever i try to explain to someone close to me i just feel like im complaining all the time and theres always SOMETHING wrong with me. I dont know anyone who has ADD, or who even actually understands fully what it is, except for my mum and ive put enough on her through my life. I would love to hear about all your experiences.

TLDR;
was on meds for a year, took prescribed dose of 30mg dexamphetamine, 10mg 3x a day, excellent cognitive improvement but unpleasent side effects. off it for at least 6 months from due to financial circumstances. Back on now and can barely handle half the dose in terms of side effects, but am not getting the same cognitive improvements on the lower dose.
Its like my brain loves it, and the rest of my body hates it.

:confused:

I guess the question is: "What has changed in your life since you were on the higher dose? ie Diet, sleeping patterns, exercise, work, study etc

All the side effects you are listing are actually common mainstream side effects of stimulants (mostly overstimulation of the stress system) and for them to be affecting you worse at half the previous tolerated dose the obvious thing to ask is "is anything else going on that is firing up that system?" Often it is not emotional stress that does this-- ie lots of sitting and getting in to a forward head posture will do the same.

sarahsweets
07-14-17, 07:44 AM
Do you think maybe you need to alter your expectations of your meds?

longboat
09-12-17, 07:17 AM

adderal is combined of 4 different amphetamines (25% dex)

b3nault
09-13-17, 12:59 AM
If I am understanding correctly, you started taking the same medication again, but it is not having the same therapeutic effect as before?

If so, is this 2nd attempt of the "same" medication from a different manufacture? All I know is that I have tried "dexamphetamine" from 3 different generic manufacturers, and they all treated me VASTLY differently.