View Full Version : Discontinuing Adderall -- advice?

blue592
07-06-17, 04:25 PM
I recently graduated with my masters and came home, and now I am trying to figure out my life. I have been on Adderall XR 25mgs and had been taking it almost every single day for the 2 years I was in school and before then too.

When I got home, I started to have back pain, tension, and increased anxiety. One day I decided to not take my adderall and could not believe how much better my body felt and how my racing anxiety slowed down to normal emotions. Later that day I got a massage. The combination of not taking the medication and the massage eliminated my back pain almost entirely. So I decided to pretty much stop taking it and feel so much more natural, peaceful, and comfortable in my body when I am off of it. I realized that the stress, jaw tension, overall body tension, and avoidance of other people almost went away. While I did need it in the past and it helped me a lot, I think it's also exhausted me in a way and now I do feel better when I'm off of it.

The thing that alarms me though is the appetite difference, as my hunger is significantly greater when I'm off of it. As is probably common, I lost some weight when I started going on adderall and have maintained a healthy shape since then (not stick thin, but healthy). I have been terrified of gaining the weight back because needless to say I'm very happy with my body without the extra pounds I had as a teenager. But I've also been controlling my diet very strictly when I'm off of it, logging my calories, eating lots of fruits and veggies and even considering going vegan.

Tomorrow I am calling my doctor to try and get a lower dose, so that I can taper off of it. Should I do this or just stop taking it entirely forever? Am I acting at all dangerously by not taking it most days? Also, I have trouble deciding when to take it and when not to. There are some days in which I do feel sluggish and anxious not taking it and just want to eat the world to solve my anxiety but that's also because living with my mom can make me feel very stressed out (topic for another post).

Does anyone have any relatable experience or advice for going off of adderall, particularly regarding the appetite/nutrition aspect? I know lots of people gain weight going off of it and I can see how it's very, very easy to, but it's possible to maintain your weight with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle right?

PS-I rarely talk about my adhd or adderall use with anyone and even my closest friends don't know this about me so the thoughts pile up in my mind and turn to anxiety. I am so grateful to be able to voice myself through this forum, to people who understand. Thank you.

sarahsweets
07-07-17, 04:39 AM
When I got home, I started to have back pain, tension, and increased anxiety. One day I decided to not take my adderall and could not believe how much better my body felt and how my racing anxiety slowed down to normal emotions. Later that day I got a massage. The combination of not taking the medication and the massage eliminated my back pain almost entirely. So I decided to pretty much stop taking it and feel so much more natural, peaceful, and comfortable in my body when I am off of it. I realized that the stress, jaw tension, overall body tension, and avoidance of other people almost went away. While I did need it in the past and it helped me a lot, I think it's also exhausted me in a way and now I do feel better when I'm off of it.
Its important to listen to your body. If you feel that much better not taking adderall it seems like a good idea to stop taking it. (with a doctor's approval)

The thing that alarms me though is the appetite difference, as my hunger is significantly greater when I'm off of it. As is probably common, I lost some weight when I started going on adderall and have maintained a healthy shape since then (not stick thin, but healthy). I have been terrified of gaining the weight back because needless to say I'm very happy with my body without the extra pounds I had as a teenager. But I've also been controlling my diet very strictly when I'm off of it, logging my calories, eating lots of fruits and veggies and even considering going vegan.

A side effect of most stimulants is appetite supression. Whether your appetite goes back to normal or not is a wait and seen sort of situation. Ive heard of people being ravenous for a few weeks and returning to normal and Ive heard of people being really hungry for a long time after stopping adderall, it just depends.

Tomorrow I am calling my doctor to try and get a lower dose, so that I can taper off of it. Should I do this or just stop taking it entirely forever? Am I acting at all dangerously by not taking it most days? Also, I have trouble deciding when to take it and when not to. There are some days in which I do feel sluggish and anxious not taking it and just want to eat the world to solve my anxiety but that's also because living with my mom can make me feel very stressed out (topic for another post).

If your doctor says its ok to stop it, then I say just stop. Youre going to feel a lot of fatigue and sleepiness but you would feel that anyway. Its not like tapering makes you not feel sleepy and tired. Those symptoms willn happen because of the absence of the amphetamine. Might as well get it over with.
Other than the issues you are feeling while on it, is there any other reasons you want to stop taking it? You shouldnt feel bad for being dependent on medication. I am dependent on my antidepressants and other meds and its ok that I am.

Does anyone have any relatable experience or advice for going off of adderall, particularly regarding the appetite/nutrition aspect? I know lots of people gain weight going off of it and I can see how it's very, very easy to, but it's possible to maintain your weight with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle right?

Not giving in to eating junk will help a lot with this.

PS-I rarely talk about my adhd or adderall use with anyone and even my closest friends don't know this about me so the thoughts pile up in my mind and turn to anxiety. I am so grateful to be able to voice myself through this forum, to people who understand. Thank you.

You say the side effects are unbearable yet it helps. How about a lower dose overall? This way you could reap the benefits without the side effects. ADHD impairs all areas or at least most areas of your life. Treatment with stimulants is know as a "first line treatment" for adhd but they are not for everyone.

Poohbear5854
07-07-17, 11:04 AM
This important for everybody to stop and listen! As my daughter has taken Addrall sence she was 5 years old hasnt has a problem ! so please listen to what I have to say.. There is a type of Adderall that is out there that my daughter has taken she is 10 years old and she was taking 30 mg of Adderall and it is from Global lab she came home from school one day the bus driver Miss D running off the bus running.. Christina not breathing very well I get her to my neighbor's house Christina has stopped breathing her heart is stopped paramedics are called and they are trying to resuscitate my daughter I find out as she's in the hospital she dies again at CHKD Children's Hospital .Christina I find out that the Adderall my daughter was on had literally Made her heart come down to nothing and she had died! my daughter who is 10 years old is okay now. She's no longer on this Adderall I did not realize it was this type of Adderall then I realize they had to switch my Adderal.l I was on 30 mg of Adderall, Which is global lab for some reason? I've been taking Adderall for a very long time and the global lab that they put me on my heart rate went down to 49 I have a monitor that tells your your heart rate your oxygen and it is very important that people know what's going on I just found out a friend of mine who has just had the glod lad Andrall same problem I'm asking everybody if you're having this problem with your heart rate going down your blood pressure having a problem and you feeling like you can't think you're tired and you're disoriented please post it here I am also trying to get a hold of global lab that has made this Adderall and tweet whatever they tweaked in this Adderall. I do have to take Adderall because I'm ADHD I'm also Emr now they call it Di.I'm asking for help because I don't know what to do I do not want to sue nobody I just want to know what they're going to do to make this safer for everybody I also want everybody to understand I don't want to see nobody get hurt from this. And to go threw what i went threw as a mom. just want them to understand what is happening to certain people or if this is happened all the way around so this is really serious and I love everyone but you need to know Thank you..

Little Nut
07-07-17, 11:05 AM
Hey Blue, From my knothole in the fence, when you started w/ the meds, you had problems/symptoms... Your Doc prescribed Adderall and you found the proper dosage and frequency to acceptably treat your symptoms for the past couple of years. Reading between the lines a positive side effect was that you lost a few pounds and maintained a good weight w/ little to no effort. After getting your Masters, you developed social issues, "back pain, tension, and increased anxiety". After discontinuing the Adderall these problems improved, but you had problems controlling your food intake. Did I get this right?

Off of the top of my head;

Did the problems start after school or did you notice them after school? If these problems started/worsened after school I would discuss this with your Doc. It may not be Adderall related.
What about your symptoms/problems that the Adderall originally helped address? I would discuss w/ your Doc and work out an approach to address them coming back if you discontinue the Adderall.
If you had trouble controlling your weight before the Adderall, you may want to prepare to address before discontinuing the Adderall. Restricting carbs works for me, but YMMV
For me it takes a few weeks to a month for my body to adjust to starting an amphetamine and it takes ~ the same time to adjust to discontinuing an amphetamine. During this time it is tough to truly assess the impact of starting/stopping the med.

Let me know how it works out for you. HTH, -LN

sarahsweets
07-07-17, 03:02 PM
This important for everybody to stop and listen! As my daughter has taken Addrall sence she was 5 years old hasnt has a problem ! so please listen to what I have to say.. There is a type of Adderall that is out there that my daughter has taken she is 10 years old and she was taking 30 mg of Adderall and it is from Global lab she came home from school one day the bus driver Miss D running off the bus running.. Christina not breathing very well I get her to my neighbor's house Christina has stopped breathing her heart is stopped paramedics are called and they are trying to resuscitate my daughter I find out as she's in the hospital she dies again at CHKD Children's Hospital .Christina I find out that the Adderall my daughter was on had literally Made her heart come down to nothing and she had died!
Who told you this? What proof was there that it was a specific brand of adderall? if this is true then you are LEGALLY required to notify the appropriate authorities, they are LEGALLY required to investigate it asap and LEGALLY required to issue a recall. Unless you have absolute proof and evidence it was the adderall, you cant go around saying it was. Suppose another parent has their child on Global and reads this?

my daughter who is 10 years old is okay now. She's no longer on this Adderall I did not realize it was this type of Adderall then I realize they had to switch my Adderal.l I was on 30 mg of Adderall, Which is global lab for some reason? I've been taking Adderall for a very long time and the global lab that they put me on my heart rate went down to 49 I have a monitor that tells your your heart rate your oxygen and it is very important that people know what's going on I just found out a friend of mine who has just had the glod lad Andrall same problem I'm asking everybody if you're having this problem with your heart rate going down your blood pressure having a problem and you feeling like you can't think you're tired and you're disoriented please post it here I am also trying to get a hold of global lab that has made this Adderall and tweet whatever they tweaked in this Adderall. I do have to take Adderall because I'm ADHD I'm also Emr now they call it Di.I'm asking for help because I don't know what to do I do not want to sue nobody I just want to know what they're going to do to make this safer for everybody I also want everybody to understand I don't want to see nobody get hurt from this. And to go threw what i went threw as a mom. just want them to understand what is happening to certain people or if this is happened all the way around so this is really serious and I love everyone but you need to know Thank you..
You cant say these things unless you can prove they are true and if they are you are obligated to report this horrific thing to every single government agency possible. If true, it doesnt matter if you want to sue or not, endangering a child like this is not ok. You have to go on record about it and get a lawyer to protect yours and your daughter's rights.

wonderboy
07-18-17, 06:31 PM
Theoretically, there is no -significant- withdraw" from amphetamine.

Psychologically there is profound withdraw.

Withdraw may make itself known in a kaleidoscope of symptoms including:
profound lethargy, malaise, myalgia, dysphoria, and others. It can't be severe. Depending upon the individual