View Full Version : Getting more inattentive with age

Technik
07-07-17, 10:57 AM
I am only in my mid 20s (26), but I already feel like I struggle to focus more than 5 or 6 years ago. Looking back, I definitely had issues with procrastination but my thinking seemed a lot more clear and snappy than it is now.

Is this common among ADHD-PI?

userguide
07-07-17, 05:49 PM
I feel to the contrary.

Maybe you are facing real challenges now vs earlier.

someothertime
07-08-17, 04:43 AM
it's possible... but i wouldn't say it is a property of PI.... just manifest most obviously with it.

Fuzzy12
07-08-17, 04:54 AM
It definitely gets worse. I think for two reasons:

1. The older we get the more is on our mind constantly so more stuff competing for our attention.

2. We are put in more challenging situations that require attention to be paid.

sarahsweets
07-08-17, 07:09 AM
I dont know if I am getting more inattentive but I am definitely getting more scatter brained.

finallyfound10
07-09-17, 03:01 PM
I think that I am worse now than before too.

oldtimer
07-18-17, 10:59 AM
As we age we learn and develop mental functions that help control our ADD. Pre schoolers usually display ADD like behaviors. In your public school years you develop impulse control and other mechanisms that control ADD behaviors. Once you get into your 50s you are going down hill mentally anyway. I found I couldn't recover from stimulants as when I was younger. I first dropped dosage (55) then went from Adderal to Ritalin (60). For the last few years I can't take any unless I must concentrate (67).

AddicusFinch
07-27-17, 08:25 AM
Yes! I can no longer perform last minute miracles on the job and basically that was my only strategy so now I'm hosed. Getting diagnosed recently and having medication has made life better, easier, but my symptoms are still getting worse with age. It might be the tremendous stress of raising a family while being a complete and utter failure. My brother and father are hyper/impulsive and all my life I enjoyed making fun of them. Now I wish I had their ADHD instead of PI.
My psychiatrist doesn't believe PI symptoms can worsen with age. Probably because the most prevalent type i.e. hyperactive generally is "outgrown" in adulthood.

Wire Mother
08-09-17, 04:54 PM
I was incredibly scatterbrained in my teens and 20s, and even into my 30s, but now that I'm in my 50s I have a much easier time of it.

I attribute that to having developed various work-arounds and coping strategies for my most difficult traits/symptoms, but also to learning how to prioritize, and how to say no to others' demands and expectations that I know will just make my life more difficult.

By not taking on more responsibility or obligations than I know I can handle (and refusing to bother with non-essential things I genuinely don't want to do), I'm a lot less scattered. But at my age, I don't feel as much need to please others or prove myself worthy--which was a big concern in my 20s. So maybe you're just overwhelmed by all the demands of being a young adult, out in the world, having to take care of yourself.

One thing that might help is to make two lists--the first of things you absolutely have to do/get done, and the second of things you can let slide, or at least won't create too much of a disaster if they're left undone, or done half-baked. You might discover just how little of the stuff you worry over is actually important.

I used to think I had to do everything (and do it right), but as I've grown older, I've discovered that I really only need to do the most important stuff, and even then I don't always have to do it perfectly. Not being distracted and made anxious by what is really non-essential stuff, however, gives me enough brainspace to excel at most of the important things--which makes me look way more focused and together than I actually am, LOL.

Shelsi
08-09-17, 10:50 PM
I'm definitely getting worse and worse. I think like the others said though that I just have so much more going on!

When I was 18 I only had myself to worry about & I only had to show up at my minimum wage job and to school.

At 23 I was married with a baby but I quit to be a stay at home mom so again I really had ONE thing to worry/think about.

Now at 37, I just finished my bachelors degree in May, I'm currently a grad student, my 10 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, and depression, my 13 year old has ADHD and ASD, I have a dog who I swear has ADHD (lol), my husband turned into a jerk so I'm contemplating divorce, all while I need to keep on top of my research, juggle therapy & doctor appointments, coordinate all the kids' school things from having clothes/shoes that fit to homework and sports/club meetings, the roof got hail damage & needs to be replaced, a giant tree out front got a weird fungus and had to be removed, the grass needs to be mowed (but I keep forgetting to buy more gas!), and for some ridiculous reason if I don't make dinner the rest of the people in this family just literally do not eat! :confused: :scratch:

Whew, so yeah, obviously things get forgotten. My inattentiveness is funnier now though. I went through a phase last year where instead of unzipping my boots when I came through the door I'd start unzipping my pants :lol: The kids & I still crack up about that one.

SashaBV
11-11-17, 01:22 AM
I'm definitely worse as a senior citizen. Of course, I can't rely on my DH anymore for certain things. He's disabled and ill. My stress is greater, my memory is worse and sometimes I feel like such a failure. I did find my key ring today after about two weeks, so I'm so happy about that! And now I have extra keys!

DeClutter
11-15-17, 03:42 AM
I am 46, and the past 3-4 years it has been getting worse. For the first time in my life i really experience it as "problematic".

I think i managed to cope all that time before by just being an adrenaline junkie - creating stress and excitement in my private and professional life - which compensated my lack of focus by inducing hyperfocus.

But by now, that adrenaline fix doesn't work anymore. In fact, there were also periods before that it did not work for a certain time. I could then still call it burn-out, as i was unaware of the broader picture of living with ADD.

SashaBV
11-16-17, 01:11 AM
Lost my key ring again already. Trying to get it back from the known person who took it from the community mailboxes. I went back looking within an hour. Wow.

sarahsweets
11-16-17, 04:28 AM
Lost my key ring again already. Trying to get it back from the known person who took it from the community mailboxes. I went back looking within an hour. Wow.

Took as in stolen? Or removed for safe keeping?

SashaBV
12-01-17, 07:33 PM
She thought it would be safer if she kept it temporarily. Took me a week to get it back. It was someone who just recently moved here...newbie.

Pinkyswear
12-02-17, 09:18 AM
For me, definitely worse with age. I am 42 and just finally sought treatment about 4 months ago. I know that I have always been dealing with ADD, but this year it just hit me where I HAD to get help. I was struggling so much at work and at home. Majorly scatterbrained and I culdn’t focus or concentrate on anything. My daughter was telling me I was repeating myself (I was forgetting I had already told her something - constantly).

*Funny moment side note - I just found my dirty socks I took off after work yesterday in the bathroom garbage can. :lol: