View Full Version : Please be careful with Benzos.

sarahsweets
07-11-17, 07:09 AM
This is long so Im sorry.

I know benzos have their place in mental health treatment so I dont intend on trashing them. I had my own issues with them and walked the addiction line myself. They are not for me, but I know plenty of people who can take them responsibly- and plenty who can not and should not.
If you have addiction issues with drugs or alcohol please be wary.
Because of my involvement with 12 step programs I was asked by a friend to help with her daughter. Her daughter has been coming to meetings and some days she is lucid and doing well and some days shes been slurring her words, acting dopey and falling asleep/out of her chair. I said to the mother about 2 months ago that this reminded me of benzo abuse and I so identify.
The daughter is an alcoholic primarily but she hasnt been honest so no one really knows if she has a drug or pill issue but obviously she does now.
She has been attending a shady day program outpatient where she is supposed to be in groups and learning coping skills but especially mondays she comes home all f**ked up. She gets combative after awhile almost like a mean drunk. That doesnt happen to everyone but in my experience when the benzo builds up in your system and is abused you go beyond the point of being dopey and falling asleep and have a major mental change. The mom and I are both in 12 step recovery and I am a very good no BS advocate and have helped other people get honest and into treatment. She asked me to help with an intervention of sorts. To be fair the daughter isnt the brightest bulb and I dont know if its damage from abuse, being high or if she has something else going on.

The day program is bull sh*t. She always comes home with her hair done and she does it in program. No one has seen any progress and she has been there 6 weeks.

Anyway. Her mom was on the phone with different places trying to see what options there are and because she was already under the influence the daughter was more willing to bring out her pills. She had 4 different scripts for seroquel at different doses with different MG, She had an unmarked bottle with trazodone(I looked the pills up) she had celexa and lexapro, lithium (1200 mg a day!), she had vistaril. And low and behold she had klonopin 15 pills " take 1 as needed " and obviously she has a differnet view of what as needed means.
She may have anxiety but this "program" is a dual diagnosis program with addicts/alcoholics and mental health disorders. WTH the hell are they thinking? We found so many receipts to walgreens and she said they go to program and everyone walks over to walgreens to get their weekly scripts filled. Shes been hiding this and lying which I dont take personally of course because thats typical addict behavior.

She has been blaming this behavior on the doctor not prescribing meds the right way, shes been blaming the seroquel.
We decided her mom was going to take her to a different psyche ER in hopes of getting admited to a different inpatient program. She was a agreeable cause she was already high.
Her klonopin was prescribed on the 7th with 15 pills and there was 1 left. We thought she had taken them over the three days. Klonopin has a 36 hour half life so it can build up in your system over time when abused.

I left and her mom ran errands and went back. This girl doesnt have her kids because of these issues and lives with her Dad. The mom texted me last night.
She got all combative and crazy, threatened to jump out the window and die was in and out of consciousness and all that. ALL in front of her kids who are used to this and told their nanny. Her breathing wasnt right so they called 911 and she admitted to taking 13 klonopin. 13! They took her to the hospital and treated it like an overdose and they told mom she was admitted and thats all we know now.

This is long I know but please, if you have addiction issues think long and hard about needing benzos. Even if you dont get addicted, the temptation to abuse them is so strong especially if you are not treating the reasons why you self medicate. She admitted to drinking on Friday and that this whole time shes been up to no good so her 90 coin was bull sh*t.
Addicts- please please be careful with them. Its so hard to not transfer the self medication from alcohol or other drugs to a new substance that has been known to cause addiction.
Its so hard to stay clean and you have to want it. Her poor kids have been through this enough.
I was very blunt yesterday as I usually am and mom was happy. I just talked to her and we might go up to the hospital and see what the options are.
She needs at least detox and she cant be around those kids or scare her parents like this.
We will see what she is like today.
This isnt meant to be judgy-if you have addiction issues and need them, have someone else monitor them. It shouldnt matter because even if you do not, whats the harm in playing it safe?

These meds go beyond making you dopey when you take enough of them.
We are trying to think about how to ream her day program for doing this. It seems like they medicate the hell out of them and keep them coming back and I guess its some kind of insurance profit.

Much love to all of you and blessings.
xxxooo

aeon
07-11-17, 10:21 AM
Yeah, my doctor is very wary about prescribing them.

So I just drink or self-injure instead.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
07-11-17, 10:28 AM
oh boy, I quit the Klonopins and I was on 2mg 3x daily. I'd just eat the entire bottle. Times were tough then mentally for me.

After a noticeable behavior change in myself that was NOT pretty, I quit cold turk, of course after I had eaten the bottle, told shrinkipoo at the next month and when her eyebrows came down from the ceiling she rx'd Xanax, which I have never abused in 12 years. No desire to.

I know if I had Klonopins again I'd do the same thing. Horrible withdrawals. I had to wrap my head with paper towels because of the sweat pouring into my eyes.

I eat the whole bottle of Valium too. I don't know why Xanax and I work so well together. :confused:

Vex187
07-31-17, 09:54 AM
Benzos and alcohol are 2 of the only drugs you can die from detoxing. Been through them both, and along the lines of little missy if you give me a bottle of benzos i'll take a few and crash out the for the nigh. Next morning i'll wake up and go to have some only to realise a day has actually passed and I ate the whole bottle already, in the process ******* everyone off close to me, contacted every ex or past fling on facebook, spoke literal garble and probably asked to borrow money off someone and necking a bottle of wine... aka making a fool of myself in my delirious blackout haze.

Guess some people are better with them than others, but having spent my share of time in institutions i can say a lot of people eventually fall into the same trap... and its a horrid detox that fuels denial by thinking they're safe because a doctor prescribes them.

Emre22
07-31-17, 11:05 AM
I have used Imovane(Zopiklon) for 2-3 months , i stopped few weeks ago but i havent experienced any withdrawal symptoms ( i started with 7.5mg than lowered it to 3.75 after 3weeks)
Zopiklon is a little different case than general "benzos" but it has very similar structure with benzos

I guess it also depends on that person's psychologic condition

If you have addictive personality , you must be careful with them

People must understand that benzos are short/mid term friends, they have to understand they have to leave that friend after a time

Fortune
07-31-17, 12:00 PM
I was prescribed benzos for several months in 2002. Probably dodged a bullet there since getting off them was not that difficult. Possibly because I stayed on a low dose the entire time.

ginniebean
07-31-17, 02:07 PM
After 30 years of getting my 20 1mg pills of Lorazapam every six months, I recently got a new doctor. I was questioned about my use and he started to try and dissuade me. I told him very frankly, I've been getting these pills for almost 30 years now and I'm not going to start abusing them now. He looked a bit startled. I said, go ahead and check my records, you'll see I only take them on an as need basis and often take longer than six months to get a refill.

That was the end of that conversation and he shrugged and said, ok. Wrote me my script.

For many people benzo's are so highly addictive, I knew this when I started and I guess I don't really have much of an addictive personality because I've never felt that I needed to take one other than my anxiety was just too much that day.

Vex187
07-31-17, 03:32 PM
Thats awesome if you can use them properly. IMO its a godsend, they're extremely good for topical use during anxiety & panic attacks.
Its what i originally got them for, just for whatever reason i cant not eat them when i have them, so benzos along with almost everything else i can think of is off the table for me now.

Only just started on it yesterday but im really hoping dex works, if not i have some clonadine from an opiate detox last year to have a try. Read somewhere that it works great with dex and other CNS to help alleviate anxiety if it pops up as a side effect. Anyone confirm this?

Hermus
08-02-17, 08:06 AM
I'm always quite surprised at how easy doctors are willing to prescribe them. An ex-gf went through a mental health crisis, but also clearly is an alcoholic. She went to the doctor and got a prescription for benzos. As far as I know she quit them again, but those things should definitely not be prescribed to addicts easily in my opinion. Another friend of mine is now in recovery from benzos. She's not totally clean, but is lowering the dose slowly. She wasn't an addict before, although she has quite some experience with the recreational use of drugs. This stuff is so dangerous and in this country you can just get it prescribed by a gp. It's madness.

ToneTone
08-14-17, 12:57 AM
I have never taken Benzos, but I do have a friend on Xanax who wants to get totally off of it, but finds that he can't ... and my ex used to take Ativan when she was having an anxiety attack.

Anyway, Benzos haven't taken up much space in my brain, so your cautionary tale is really helpful.

Thanks.

Tone

Arei
08-14-17, 10:27 PM
After 30 years of getting my 20 1mg pills of Lorazapam every six months, I recently got a new doctor. I was questioned about my use and he started to try and dissuade me. I told him very frankly, I've been getting these pills for almost 30 years now and I'm not going to start abusing them now. He looked a bit startled. I said, go ahead and check my records, you'll see I only take them on an as need basis and often take longer than six months to get a refill.

That was the end of that conversation and he shrugged and said, ok. Wrote me my script.

For many people benzo's are so highly addictive, I knew this when I started and I guess I don't really have much of an addictive personality because I've never felt that I needed to take one other than my anxiety was just too much that day.

Same. My psych wants me to take clonazepam more often, but I reserve it for extreme anxiety, and fill a bottle of 30 like once a year (and often a few of them expire before I use it all).

Personally I don't think benzos should be prescribed to anyone that has a drug or alcohol problem. There are other things to control anxiety. Everyone, even if you don't have an addictive personality to drugs, should be careful with benzos. I don't like feeling sleepy and spacey so I prefer to only take them when necessary. But you never know what could make you fall down the rabbit hole.