View Full Version : Having skunk troubles again-now they live under my front porch!

sarahsweets
07-13-17, 05:12 AM
Yes, you heard that right. My neighbor and I have always had issues with skunks in the summer since about 4 years ago. At least once a summer our dogs get sprayed and its a nightmare. Hers have been sprayed twice already and usually my one dog Duke gets it because he doesnt know they are mean and when they come into my fenced yard he goes into hunter mode.
Last week my neighbor said we have a mama and her babies living under our front porches which are connected. She said she has seen the babies go under there and her car has even gotten sprayed. We blocked off the hole we saw on our side but her porch is higher and they have a decent home with access.
I figured Id call animal control.

Animal control gets farmed out to my local PD when its not dangerous and the cop told me there is nothing they can do if they are not rabid. He said you cant kill them(which of course I am not looking to do) and if we were to trap them we have to get the mom and babies or else we get in trouble with dept of fish and game. How would I even trap them and not get sprayed? And then when I do, I have to find a wildife refuge to take them to which means a car ride to god knows where. He told me to get mothballs but I am not going under there to spread them! Someone on facebook told me predator urine and my neighbor said she would try to get some.

Tuesday night I let my blind dog out at midnight and he came running in rubbing all over my bed, the house and then we caught a wiff. My poor blind dog who cant even go after something got sprayed in the face and side! We grabbed him and threw him in the tub and got the dawn dish soap going which is what has worked in the past.
It didnt work this time. In the past we have been able to keep the smell contained but now the whole house smells. I spent 70$ on deoderizers and stuff and its done nothing, Ive been spraying my peroxide mix on the dog and nothing.

I dont know what to do with the smell and these guys under the porch. They have services to come out to your house and trap them but they are like 500$!
I just had to buy a new stove and do not have that money now.
I am trying to think humanely but I cant figure out how I am going to live with it.
The cop said if they came to get the skunk because I claim they are rabid and they test them I could get in trouble for falsely claiming dangerous wildlife.
Anyone have any ideas?( and no, tomato juice doesnt work, thats an old wives' tale).

Little Missy
07-13-17, 06:19 AM
Spread the mothballs at high noon. If they come out, they are rabid. They are nocturnal.

Dawn changed its formula and just now came out with old Dawn again and the bottle looks different. Maybe the old Dawn will work again. I only know this because the housekeeper at LOL's was using the new Dawn and I couldn't be around it which was strange as Dawn never bothered me and when I shopped for LOL I found the old Dawn. It is clearly marked. Kind of like throw back Mt. Dew.

Other than that quit with the deodorizers and use opened boxes of baking soda. They'll suck up the smell quickly and you can dispose of them. Deodorizers will only put smell over smell over smell without elimination.

psychopathetic
07-13-17, 08:46 AM
Well that stinks!

:giggle: :giggle:

I'm sorry...but someone had to say it! lol

Your poor old blind dog :(. Is he big or small? Just curious. And I can't imagine the kind of hell the smell must put a dog through with them having such sensitive smellers :(.

I've no suggestions. I'm lucky enough to have never had to deal with skunks before even though there's lots of them around here.
It really frustrates me that the police/animal control wont come do this for you. Just the fact that they pose a possible threat to you and your family would be enough...I'd think. :mad:

I don't know :(
Just (((Hugs))) and stuffs!

Little Missy
07-13-17, 09:36 AM
you probably already looked, but there a bunch of youtubes about ridding skunks from under porch invasions

Little Nut
07-13-17, 01:06 PM
***SNIPPAGE TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME TO RESPOND***

Last week my neighbor said we have a mama and her babies living under our front porches...

I figured Id call animal control.

..the cop told me there is nothing they can do if they are not rabid.

He said you cant kill them
if we were to trap them we have to get the mom and babies or else we get in trouble with dept of fish and game.

How would I even trap them and not get sprayed?

Sorry Sarah no good answer(s) 4 u. If it was me and no acceptable "outside" firms/people were available I would find some way to bait/lure them to a safe distance from the house and shoot them. (22 or air rifle depending on how "rural" your home's location is.) I guess if you lured/baited them out, you, your hubby and your neighbors could then use ?!? chicken wire to block access to your porch and prevent them from getting back under your porch?!? Maybe the next night you have to unblock your porch to lure them out one at a time.

I don't know what to do with the smell

dawn dish soap going which is what has worked in the past didn't work this time.

High or low pH aqueous soap/detergent/whaeva should make the mercaptan water soluble and much easier to remove/minimize. Dawn used to be High pH and if reformulated may explain. TSP dissolved in water would work and it is safe for humans, pets, clothing, and likely your home's interior if u r deliberate. Also skin contact is not an issue, but keep it out of mouth and eyes. (It is disparaged because when sent to storm sewers the algae/plants like it too much.) Vinegar may work, but it has its own odor issues and indoors may be a problem for walls, trim, furniture. Plus by itself if you rinse too much it may leave much of mercaptan behind.

I don't know what to do with the guys under the porch. They have services to come out to your house and trap them but they are like 500$!

Check Craigslist, Google, Local pet Stores for people and ideas to take care of. Sorry, but that is all I have. GL and let us know how it works out. -LN

Anyone have any ideas?( and no, tomato juice doesnt work, thats an old wives' tale).

In any event after removed, make some modifications to porch to keep rodents out. *Fingers Crossed*

midnightstar
07-13-17, 02:51 PM
I came across this online sarah, hope this helps:

Homemade Skunk Repellant (https://www.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC_%7E_PdN_%7E_PcS_%7E_PcSJJJmqBvGLBHEFrys mpBz_%7E_PcSFGEL_%7E_PcSpErnGvAt-n-AnGHEny-FxHAx-ErCryyrAG)

Getting rid of skunks (http://pestkilled.com/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks/)

psychopathetic
07-14-17, 07:39 PM
Why does the skunk bring toilet paper to the party?
Because he is a party pooper

How many skunks does it take to make a big stink?
A phew!

What did the judge say when a skunk entered the courtroom?
Odor in the court!

What did the religious skunk say?
"Let us spray!"

What do you get when you cross a bear and a skunk?
Winnie the PU

Did you hear about the joke about the skunk?
No?
Good because it stunk!

https://i2.wp.com/100things2do.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Screen-Shot-2015-04-14-at-5.05.53-PM.png?ssl=1

psychopathetic
07-14-17, 07:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ckvSOqjC3qU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Little Nut
07-14-17, 08:01 PM
Psych you forgot this!! (http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true)

psychopathetic
07-29-17, 03:44 PM
Been thinking about this lately...any updates on this Sweets?

Free to Fly
08-03-17, 01:40 PM
Friend has been dripping and spraying vinegar under his deck to eliminate raccoons, don't know if that will work on skunks. He also ran a light under, so that it is lit up all night. Also put a small radio down there and left it on a talk station. Raccoons are gone for now.