View Full Version : Messaging my Doc. to Increase Medication

HAL9000
07-16-17, 02:16 PM
So I have been taking adderal for a few years now. For the last 2 and a half I have been taking 20mg XR. It seems to be losing its effect. I feel it for barely a few hours now.

The reason why I'm posting is because I want to ask my doctor if I could increase my dose however I am in New York City for the next month and a half for summer classes and my doctor is about a 2 hour trip from here so scheduling an appointment is a little out of the question. There is a website that I log on to in order to ask for refills and communicate with my doctor through messaging. I was thinking of writing a message explaining my situation however I am unsure of whether that will be a legitimate form of communication. What do you all think? Also I am not quite sure how to word it.

Thank You!

sarahsweets
07-16-17, 02:29 PM
I think you should really make an effort to see your doctor even if its a pain in the but. When dealing with controlled substances I feel its important for the doctor to be able to evaluate your affect in addition to hearing about your issues.

Does the 20mg help at all? You shouldnt judge the efficacy of a medication based on how it makes you feel.

HAL9000
07-16-17, 03:04 PM
You do make a good point sarah, I actually had a check-up about 2 months ago. Though I was having this issue I, for whatever reason didn't bring it up (I've been seeing her since I started, but I still get nervous when I go). They drug tested me since I just changed insurance companies, I (obviously) passed.

When I take the medication in the morning it works for a bit, and about a couple hours later I start getting sidetracked easily while sitting in class, or while working on assignments, or I start to lose focus/interest in whatever I'm doing. I'm now taking my prescription about an hour before class when I first get to campus, and that has worked enough for me to get through at least the first 2/3 hours of my first class.

I almost feel as though 1x 20mg in the morning, and 1x 5,or 10, mg halfway through the day would suffice.

I suppose what's holding me back is the fact that I am aware that making an appointment would be the best way to go about it. It's an accelerated course so I really don't have much time between class and homework to travel.

Pilgrim
07-16-17, 04:11 PM
I would follow Sarah on this one. For the above mentioned reasons. It's a big deal so don't treat it frivolously.
I think your dr would appreciate it.

sarahsweets
07-17-17, 04:54 AM
You do make a good point sarah, I actually had a check-up about 2 months ago. Though I was having this issue I, for whatever reason didn't bring it up (I've been seeing her since I started, but I still get nervous when I go). They drug tested me since I just changed insurance companies, I (obviously) passed.

When I take the medication in the morning it works for a bit, and about a couple hours later I start getting sidetracked easily while sitting in class, or while working on assignments, or I start to lose focus/interest in whatever I'm doing. I'm now taking my prescription about an hour before class when I first get to campus, and that has worked enough for me to get through at least the first 2/3 hours of my first class.
It does sound like maybe you need a higher dose or to change up your dosing frequency. Sometimes its not about having more of the drug but having it more frequently. I take 20mg xr three times a day with 1 15mg booster now. I take it every 4 hours. Now, I have absorption issues as well so xr meds work like ir meds for me.

I almost feel as though 1x 20mg in the morning, and 1x 5,or 10, mg halfway through the day would suffice.

I suppose what's holding me back is the fact that I am aware that making an appointment would be the best way to go about it. It's an accelerated course so I really don't have much time between class and homework to travel.
I get it but it would be really worth your while to go see the doc, even if you find out you can take more of what you currently have, you will still run out sooner so you will need a new script sooner.

ToneTone
07-17-17, 07:11 PM
My doctor can't phone in Adderall prescriptions or any stimulant prescriptoins... She can't even email or fax them in ... The computer blocks her.

Not sure if it's her hospital rule or a DEA rule or a state rule (I live in Pennsylvania). Have you had a stimulant prescription phone in before?

I have to present a script in person to my pharmacist.

But as far as how to communicate with the doctor, do as you do here. I'm such and such and I've been under your care for X years/ months. I've been on Adderall XR Y dose for however long. I have had some success on Adderall with Y & P and Z symptoms being better. But recently I find I am having the following problems. I typically take the medication at X time in the morning ... but by Y time, I'm having this specific trouble. I am in school and finding that my concentration has whatever problems you identify. I would like to request consideration for an increase in dosage.

You can even mention that you are two hours away and you're not sure what to do and wonder if it is possible to get a prescription phoned in ...

The move you want to make is to give the doc enough specif info such that the doc can conclude you need an adjustment. What you do NOT want to do is ask for the change in dosage without first laying out your symptoms in detail. Lay out your symptoms and it's technically the doctor deciding to adjust the dosage, not you! This helps the doctor not feel like a prescription dispensary.

Tone

CharlesH
07-17-17, 10:55 PM
I'm not aware of any blanket federal regulation that a prescription change must be preceded by an in person appointment. That being said, many doctors would probably prefer to see you first before approving a change. If your doctor's office provided you with this system of online messaging, then you can assume that it counts as an official means of communicating medical information, unless you were told otherwise. Doctor's can't fax or call in c2 prescriptions, but they can mail you the physical scripts or send it directly to the pharmacy by electronic prescription (assuming they have the needed software).

sarahsweets
07-18-17, 04:13 AM
I'm not aware of any blanket federal regulation that a prescription change must be preceded by an in person appointment. That being said, many doctors would probably prefer to see you first before approving a change. If your doctor's office provided you with this system of online messaging, then you can assume that it counts as an official means of communicating medical information, unless you were told otherwise. Doctor's can't fax or call in c2 prescriptions, but they can mail you the physical scripts or send it directly to the pharmacy by electronic prescription (assuming they have the needed software).

Nj just started allowing doctors to send controlled substance scripts electronically.

CharlesH
07-18-17, 06:30 PM
Nj just started allowing doctors to send controlled substance scripts electronically.

Good point. It depends with each state. I read in the news that NY is actually going to now require that all controlled scripts be sent electronically.