View Full Version : Does taking adderall XR without the capsule ruin XR mechanism?

JustAHedgehog
07-18-17, 12:38 PM
Saw my aunt give my cousin (also ADHD) a portion of his medicine by opening the capsule and pouring half onto each part of the capsule and serving him a portion from one pet of the split capsule and then putting the capsule back together with the remaining medicine.

namazu
07-18-17, 01:40 PM
Some medications (and I think Adderall XR is one of them) contain beads that mediate the extended release.

The prescribing instructions (https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=aff45863-ffe1-4d4f-8acf-c7081512a6c0) state that for people who have difficulty swallowing pills, it's OK to mix the beads with applesauce or other soft foods.

However, the prescribing instructions also say to take all of the beads at once, and *not* to divide doses or save for later, presumably because it's hard to divide accurately and/or because the medication may start to dissolve:
ADDERALL XR capsules may be taken whole, or the capsule may be opened and the entire contents sprinkled on applesauce. If the patient is using the sprinkle administration method, the sprinkled applesauce should be consumed immediately; it should not be stored. Patients should take the applesauce with sprinkled beads in its entirety without chewing. The dose of a single capsule should not be divided. The contents of the entire capsule should be taken, and patients should not take anything less than one capsule per day.

(Per ADDF guidelines and the prescribing instructions, splitting pills the way your aunt did -- saving half for later instead of consuming all at once -- would be considered medication misuse.)

sarahsweets
07-19-17, 06:48 AM
Was your aunt splitting it just for the cousin or between two people. It is misuse either way.