View Full Version : New Diagnosis and Generic medication quandry

Tarmac
07-20-17, 11:59 AM
Hello everyone,
First of all, I want to thank all of you for all the information that's provided in these forums. I was just recently diagnosed at age 41 and even though I just joined, I've found a tremendous amount of support and information that has been shared here.
A little about me: As stated, I was recently diagnosed. I was always that kid that was staring out the window in school, just stuck to myself, have always had a hard time reading and sticking with long term projects. In my 30s, I was diagnosed with depression and have gone through therapy and several types of anti depressants that have done wonders for me.
Within the past few months I started doing my own research on ADD because of a few comments made by friends, acquaintances and previous girlfriends. After connecting the dots based on symptoms, I decided to speak to my therapists. After a few sessions of him trying to weed out any other issues, he gave me a trial scrpit for Adderall.

My experience so far has been incredible and I would even say life changing!
I'm 6' -0" and 190 lbs and started with 10mg XR. The first day was interesting. I felt mellow and the world slowed down a bit and I wasn't as easily distracted. Day 2 and 3 came and I didn't feel anything. On Dr.s orders, I doubled my dosage and I felt like day one again but just for that one day. Little by little, my dosage went up to 30mg which seems to be working well.

I went in for my new script for this month but I was given a different generic. The first 2 days on it were awful. I felt lightheaded, an off and on headache and my body temperature seem to go up. The 2nd day on it, I was just hyper or wired which was the opposite effect of what I've been experiencing on the medication.

I decided to look at my presc. bottles and all of them were different generics from the same pharmacy.

I believe some were from Sun Pharma, mallinckrodt and Actavis. My current scrpit is Actavis.

Is this normal to have so many different generics from the same pharmacey? It seems like the Actavis makes me feel the worst, almost as if I'm over medicated. The Mallinckrodt seemed to work ok and I think my first script was the Sun Pharma which worked ok but the dosage was small.

I'm going to chat with them today about consistency or possibly getting a brand name instead.

sarahsweets
07-23-17, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone,
First of all, I want to thank all of you for all the information that's provided in these forums. I was just recently diagnosed at age 41 and even though I just joined, I've found a tremendous amount of support and information that has been shared here.
A little about me: As stated, I was recently diagnosed. I was always that kid that was staring out the window in school, just stuck to myself, have always had a hard time reading and sticking with long term projects. In my 30s, I was diagnosed with depression and have gone through therapy and several types of anti depressants that have done wonders for me.
Within the past few months I started doing my own research on ADD because of a few comments made by friends, acquaintances and previous girlfriends. After connecting the dots based on symptoms, I decided to speak to my therapists. After a few sessions of him trying to weed out any other issues, he gave me a trial scrpit for Adderall.

My experience so far has been incredible and I would even say life changing!
I'm 6' -0" and 190 lbs and started with 10mg XR. The first day was interesting. I felt mellow and the world slowed down a bit and I wasn't as easily distracted. Day 2 and 3 came and I didn't feel anything. On Dr.s orders, I doubled my dosage and I felt like day one again but just for that one day. Little by little, my dosage went up to 30mg which seems to be working well.

I went in for my new script for this month but I was given a different generic. The first 2 days on it were awful. I felt lightheaded, an off and on headache and my body temperature seem to go up. The 2nd day on it, I was just hyper or wired which was the opposite effect of what I've been experiencing on the medication.

I decided to look at my presc. bottles and all of them were different generics from the same pharmacy.

I believe some were from Sun Pharma, mallinckrodt and Actavis. My current scrpit is Actavis.

Is this normal to have so many different generics from the same pharmacey? It seems like the Actavis makes me feel the worst, almost as if I'm over medicated. The Mallinckrodt seemed to work ok and I think my first script was the Sun Pharma which worked ok but the dosage was small.

I'm going to chat with them today about consistency or possibly getting a brand name instead.

Is your pharmacy a chain pharmacy or small mom and pop pharmacy? Alot of the chain ones order from multiple suppliers so its possible you have many different manufacturers given to you. I used to be the person that thought people that complained about different manufacturers were crazy until I experienced issues myself. For me it was actavis and it was awful. I took it for three days and promptly went back to my doctor, returned the pills and got a new script.