View Full Version : I need help ASAP!

Brian Stokes
07-21-17, 01:14 PM
I'm 16 years old and have ADHD and uses to be prescribed with Adderall and Dextroamp. Recently I stupidly decided to try dex again because my ADHD was really starting to bother me so I took 45mg of dextroamp orally and felt great... until the side effects kicked in and didn't get a second of sleep that night or the day after. My heart rate went up, my body temp goes up every now and then, I had a dry mouth, no appetite, and a little bit of a headache and I'm starting to freak myself out. This is my first time taking it in 1 1/2 years or so, someone please help me!

Little Missy
07-21-17, 03:38 PM
What is the prescribed amount you are supposed to take and how many times a day are you supposed to take it?

Little Missy
07-21-17, 03:58 PM
Eat some lunch, take a couple of aspirin and drink a couple of tall glasses of water.

It'll wear off soon and then you can discuss your dosage with your doctor if you are that uncomfortable. :)

wonderboy
07-21-17, 05:37 PM
I think you need to have your dosage re-evaluated

Brian Stokes
07-21-17, 06:05 PM
I haven't taken dextroamp in over a year. I am not prescribed Dex anymore as they moved me to 25mg of adderall. But I'm out of adderall and can't get my refill before 07/25/17. I talked with my doctor and he said taking dex is like a substitute for adderall and is a bit weaker than it's actual form so he recommended 35mg-45mg. Won't be taking that much anymore.

someothertime
07-22-17, 06:16 AM
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/017078s042lbl.pdf

Narcolepsy:
Usual dose is 5 to 60 mg per day in divided doses

General:
The least amount feasible should be prescribed or dispensed at 1 time in order to minimize the possibility of overdosage.

[snip]

Prescribers or other health professionals should inform patients, their families, and their caregivers about the benefits and risks associated with treatment with dextroamphetamine and should counsel them in its appropriate use. A patient Medication Guide is available for DEXEDRINE.

You might need a new doctor, or a serious rethink about how effective your medication is. When a script runs out or a treatment is not effective, then there is a breakdown somewhere. One that isn't solved as an individual or "temporarily".

Look after yourself dude. Sit down with those involved in your treatment and work out a plan that will promote your health moving forward.

Little Missy
07-22-17, 06:25 AM
I haven't taken dextroamp in over a year. I am not prescribed Dex anymore as they moved me to 25mg of adderall. But I'm out of adderall and can't get my refill before 07/25/17. I talked with my doctor and he said taking dex is like a substitute for adderall and is a bit weaker than it's actual form so he recommended 35mg-45mg. Won't be taking that much anymore.

hmmm, Dexedrine is actually stronger than Adderall. If you take 25 mg of Adderall the Dexedrine dose would be 12.5. But that all depends if you are taking IR or XR of either.

No matter now though.

sarahsweets
07-22-17, 07:45 AM
So you have leftover dex lying around and your doc told you to take it? Or did he just prescribe you dex instead of adderall?

Lunacie
07-22-17, 10:23 AM
Even if the two meds are equal in some ways, there are still ways in which they
are different, and like with any stimulant med, it's best to start low and increase
slowly to give your body time to adjust the difference.

I agree with Someo that your doctor doesn't seem knowledgeable enough.

Brian Stokes
07-22-17, 02:25 PM
He prescribed me dex.

Little Missy
07-22-17, 03:29 PM
He prescribed me dex.

Well, I bet you're feeling better now.

Brian Stokes
07-22-17, 05:47 PM
Still having some side effects and issues for sure. But definitely somewhat better after drinking 5 16oz bottles of water