View Full Version : Need Some Help/Advice for My ADD Husband on Adderall XR

Wife1984
07-22-17, 03:49 PM
Hi, I'm new here. My husband was diagnosed with ADD about 4 years ago and he's now 35 years. He's currently seeing a psychiatrist and has tried a lot of different meds over the years to help with his ADD and anxiety. His most recent cocktail is: Adderall XR 20mg 2x/day, Paxil 50mg and Buspar 30mg 2x/day and as needed. Recently I've noticed that if he's tired (which he seems to be quite often) he's more argumentative (he's usually a very level-headed person). And I'm talking argumentative like he doesn't always make sense... he seems almost drunk (he's not drinking). I know he needs to run this all by his psychiatrist, and he will, but right he's having one of these bouts and it's a little scary/upsetting when you talk to a person who you've known for 12 years and yet you can't reason with them or make sense of their thought process. I've always been super supportive and I always will be... he is the best person I've ever met in my life! I'm not complaining or bashing him, I just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this on any of these meds maybe. Thanks for reading my post, hopefully it makes some sort of sense.

sarahsweets
07-23-17, 06:07 AM
Hi, I'm new here. My husband was diagnosed with ADD about 4 years ago and he's now 35 years. He's currently seeing a psychiatrist and has tried a lot of different meds over the years to help with his ADD and anxiety. His most recent cocktail is: Adderall XR 20mg 2x/day, Paxil 50mg and Buspar 30mg 2x/day and as needed.
How long has he been on this cocktail?

Recently I've noticed that if he's tired (which he seems to be quite often) he's more argumentative (he's usually a very level-headed person). And I'm talking argumentative like he doesn't always make sense... he seems almost drunk (he's not drinking).
Buspar isnt meant to be taken as needed. Its mean to be taken at the same dose/same time daily and over time it builds up and begins to work.

I know he needs to run this all by his psychiatrist, and he will, but right he's having one of these bouts and it's a little scary/upsetting when you talk to a person who you've known for 12 years and yet you can't reason with them or make sense of their thought process. I've always been super supportive and I always will be... he is the best person I've ever met in my life! I'm not complaining or bashing him, I just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this on any of these meds maybe. Thanks for reading my post, hopefully it makes some sort of sense.
It does sound scary. What is he like? Like what is he arguing about, what does he say and do?

Wife1984
07-23-17, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your reply, sarahsweets!

He's been on this particular mix for several months now. He's been on Buspar for several years and what you're saying makes sense. Now that you mention it, it seems like it may be after he takes an "as needed" dose of Buspar that he acts weird. I talked to him after reading this and he's going to try sticking with it twice a day. I'm questioning why his doctor was allowing him the "as needed". I know my husband was taking the extra to curb strong bouts of anxiety (he used to take benzos, but he built too much of a tolerance and had to be weened off). Apparently Buspar doesn't work like that though, so he's just making himself super tired and then acting strange.

Yesterday we were supposed to run an important errand for his grandmother, but he wasn't feeling well most of the morning. Apparently he took some Buspar (I didn't realize it) before we left for the store to get her stuff. At the store he was arguing that she should have done this herself and he didn't feel like running to her house 25 minutes away. I tried to reason that WE agreed to help her and that her current health issues were keeping her from doing it herself. He loves his grandparents like his own parents, so this was really odd for him to be ****** for no reason. To make matters worse, my car is in the garage and his car is a work vehicle. So, I didn't have the option of running the errands myself, because it's against his company's policy for anyone other than the employee to drive the vehicle without the employee present. He wouldn't even agree to be a passenger while we ran the errands. I told him to see if his Mom could help her out instead, at this point I realized I couldn't reason with him. He spoke to his Mom and fell asleep for hours. Today he's normal and doesn't remember half of what happened yesterday. Unfortunately, he feels awful, but I had to tell him about it.

Sorry for the short novel, but I REALLY appreciate your feedback! I think it's a good point and something for him to be mindful of going forward!

sarahsweets
07-28-17, 10:32 AM
I'm questioning why his doctor was allowing him the "as needed". I know my husband was taking the extra to curb strong bouts of anxiety (he used to take benzos, but he built too much of a tolerance and had to be weened off). Apparently Buspar doesn't work like that though, so he's just making himself super tired and then acting strange.

This is a VERY important point. Do you want a doctor that doesnt understand how a med works being his prescriber? Any chance you could go with him next time? If it was an oncologist you wouldnt want them to recommend a drug therapy that was completely wrong would you? Treating mental health disorders requires the same level of diligence as treating something serious like cancer.