View Full Version : Just got diagnosed with ADD

Moonfairy
07-24-17, 06:59 AM
Hello, I just got diagnosed with ADHD (but with the hyperactivity symptoms gone now that I'm grownup) and my doctor has prescribed me with Ritalin 10mg x1 per day.
I've been taking it for a week now, Monday to Friday with Saturday and Sunday free of medication.

Honestly, I feel NO difference.
It's supposedly supposed to stimulate me however, it's made no impact on my life whatsoever, I still sleep a lot, I need my afternoon naps.
If anything, the Ritalin helps me to sleep better LOL.

My appointment is in 3 weeks, however I'm thinking of setting an appointment earlier (maybe tomorrow) to adjust the dose.
Should I continue to give this a try?

My reasons for needing the Ritalin are simple, I wish to stop making careless mistakes in my work, stop getting distracted by everything so minor, stop having my thoughts run wild while in class or while doing my work and seriously, just STOP MAKING CARELESS MISTAKES.

Rant:
I can literally have my statistic question right on top, YET STILL WRITE THE NUMBERS WRONG. How is that possible?
I've taken to double checking my work, and a miracle has happened.
I wrote my numbers wrong, wrote the signs wrong, yet somehow magically managed to type in everything correctly on my calculator (honestly I check my calculator like 4x before pressing answer because I ALWAYS key in wrongly) and got the answer.
It's so damn mystifying yet aggravating at the same time.
I have so much problem completing my work on time, much less exam scripts because of how much I have to double check and check and check yet somehow I MIGHT still get it wrong because HA HA, somehow managed to miss a spot.
It's like I can't connect A to B.
I'm going crazy, really. With a lot more statistics assignment to do, when in class, it's like I'm sitting there, but I'm not really there, I've stopped myself from daydreaming but whatever my teacher says just go straight pass the other ear.
I recently got my results back, I got distinction for my management module whilst I got a simple PASS grade for my accounting module.
I can't do maths. Seriously.
My recent economics module is driving me crazy as well.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

sarahsweets
07-27-17, 03:40 AM
Sometimes its a matter of the wrong dose. The medication is not supposed to stimulate you.

Azisgoin
07-27-17, 05:25 AM
What you are going through is stressing you more than you can handle and that will make worse of what you are going through.
Firstly you need to sort out your medication and let that settle. Medication has a purpose and it will not be very clear what that purpose is until you get to know your medication. Its like a getting to know someone you just met. Once you figure out what you can get out of that medication and it settles in properly then you can start focusing on "what is wrong with you"....don't make judgements on your self while you are sorting out your medication.
Now as for your struggles,you will need to give yourself sometime to figure out what ADHD symptoms of yours making things difficult for you. One thing i can tell you that, knowing the reason of a problem will start making you see that problem differently/less stressing. It is all about personal development, understanding and getting yourself more and more which everyone needs to do to live a better life...but dont go too far and hard on yourself. To a certain level you can work on yourself and develop yourself. That is like you working with you...too much of that will be you working against you. Do not work against you. You are a wonderful person and do not neglect that and work with it to shine that....if you see yourself keep getting the same negative results despite how tried to manage, dont keep hogging on that thing and jeopardize yourself/your feelings/your mental state and psychology for that...you are more important than what you are trying to achieve.
My suggestion is be calm and firm but not agressive on yourself....keep moving from what's not working whatever it is and create room for other things to come that you will eventually find ones that are working better for you.
Love yourself,accept yourself and work with yourself not against yourself....

sarahsweets
07-30-17, 05:19 AM
Hello, I just got diagnosed with ADHD (but with the hyperactivity symptoms gone now that I'm grownup) and my doctor has prescribed me with Ritalin 10mg x1 per day.
I've been taking it for a week now, Monday to Friday with Saturday and Sunday free of medication.

Honestly, I feel NO difference.
It's supposedly supposed to stimulate me however, it's made no impact on my life whatsoever, I still sleep a lot, I need my afternoon naps.
If anything, the Ritalin helps me to sleep better LOL.
Some people report that they get sleepy with stimulants at the wrong dose both too high or too low.

My appointment is in 3 weeks, however I'm thinking of setting an appointment earlier (maybe tomorrow) to adjust the dose.
Should I continue to give this a try?

I think you should see the doctor asap but take the medication as prescribed until then. Maybe give the doc a call and ask if you need to increase it.

My reasons for needing the Ritalin are simple, I wish to stop making careless mistakes in my work, stop getting distracted by everything so minor, stop having my thoughts run wild while in class or while doing my work and seriously, just STOP MAKING CARELESS MISTAKES.

And to help your adhd.

Rant:
I can literally have my statistic question right on top, YET STILL WRITE THE NUMBERS WRONG. How is that possible?
I've taken to double checking my work, and a miracle has happened.
I wrote my numbers wrong, wrote the signs wrong, yet somehow magically managed to type in everything correctly on my calculator (honestly I check my calculator like 4x before pressing answer because I ALWAYS key in wrongly) and got the answer.
It's so damn mystifying yet aggravating at the same time.
I have so much problem completing my work on time, much less exam scripts because of how much I have to double check and check and check yet somehow I MIGHT still get it wrong because HA HA, somehow managed to miss a spot.
It's like I can't connect A to B.
I'm going crazy, really. With a lot more statistics assignment to do, when in class, it's like I'm sitting there, but I'm not really there, I've stopped myself from daydreaming but whatever my teacher says just go straight pass the other ear.
I recently got my results back, I got distinction for my management module whilst I got a simple PASS grade for my accounting module.
I can't do maths. Seriously.
My recent economics module is driving me crazy as well.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

are you normally good with math ?

Sunflower009
09-30-17, 12:55 AM
I think you should get an evaluation for dyscalculia. There is a section about it on the Learning Disabilities section of the forums. Unfortunatelyy there are no medications to help it, but understanding it could help, if that is the actual issue.

but also definately discuss increasing the dose!

Moonfairy
10-07-17, 08:43 AM
Some people report that they get sleepy with stimulants at the wrong dose both too high or too low.

I think you should see the doctor asap but take the medication as prescribed until then. Maybe give the doc a call and ask if you need to increase it.

And to help your adhd.

are you normally good with math ?

No, I've been bad at maths since young (past 3 grade where fractions and stuff started coming in =/)
I have adjusted my dose to 18mg concerta +10mg ritalin taken in the morning, another 10mg in the afternoon and take as required, an extra 10mg for the evening.

Moonfairy
10-07-17, 08:51 AM
And I just wanna thank y'all so much for reading my rant and reaffirming the fact that I have adhd.
Honestly, I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just dumb/useless/worthless, can't do anything right and a hopeless case with or without meds.
My prev doctor couldn't diagnose me with ADHD because 1. he didnt feel qualified so and 2. he said there could be other causes for my behavior, he listed a few and I heard "conduct disorder" freaking clearly, it just reinforced what I've always felt since young. I'm just defiant. The words "naughty, out of control, can't sit still" chimed in my head and I remembered all those times my teachers/parents yelled at me, "stupid, lazy, careless" and all those times I got segregated from my class, everyone sits in groups/pairs but my teacher would put my table and chair at the very back/end of the class because I was "talkative, disruptive" since second grade.
Really, I tried to help it, I tried to be better all my life, but I just keep getting knock down by myself.
Eventually I just started avoiding doing things.
What's the point of trying so hard if I'm only going to receive a script filled with crosses right back at me?
It hurts. A lot. Every single time.
Seriously, I know it doesn't look like it but I have been trying all my life, in my own way to be normal, to be better.
/sigh
I don't know what i am anymore.