View Full Version : ADHD at work / medication

Pdx1234
07-25-17, 02:20 PM
So I'm a little bit unsure on what to do regarding my medication plan.

Just to start, I'm currently prescribed 20mg Adderall IR twice per day which means one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

-- ADHD combined type, originally diagnosed at age 14. I'm currently 28.

-- I stopped taking medication to have my kids a few years back.

-- I've been back on my medication for a month now, and for the first two weeks it was 10mg twice per day. My prescriber suggested 3 IR doses per day, but I thought that would be too much and decided to start out with just two doses per day.

I take my first dose generally 60-90 minutes after I wake up. And my second dose right before work, as prescribed.

While my medication has really been helping me at home and work, it has been difficult and frustrating after my second dose of the day is no longer in effect.

I have a lot of paperwork to do at work, especially at the end of each shift. And I have to print and make copies of several things and sort them out for the proper people, etc.

And that is my worst few hours at work to be struggling with my ADHD. If I don't complete my paperwork properly by the end of each shift, I could face termination. It just gets hectic for me and it becomes overwhelming.

I have an appointment with my prescriber next Monday morning, but I'm not sure what to do.

I don't know how I feel about potentially taking medication 3x per day--but If I can find a way to make it work to where my symptoms are managed through the end of each work day, I will be happy. Regardless what that ends up being.

--I'm considering asking my provider about trying one dose of XR in the morning and then one or two IR later in the day.

Not sure on what dosages that would be or anything like that, but that's where my prescriber comes in.

Does that seem reasonable/manageable?

I'm likely overthinking this, but I don't have any close friends who understand ADHD. Support and advice needed and appreciated.

Thank you! :)

midnightstar
07-25-17, 02:56 PM
You can always ask and see what your prescriber says :)

Pdx1234
07-25-17, 03:26 PM
That's the plan. Lol.

someothertime
07-25-17, 10:41 PM
yeah, i'm sure you can work something out with prescriber.

taking first dose a little later and/or substituting it for XR with an IR/Dex midday dose could potentially do the trick.

while "3 doses" per se.... is not in itself "wrong" i think your right to have general concern about it so see what options your prescribe comes up with.... maybe read up on XR and search for threads here to read a little about peeps who take midday "boosters"/second doses to see what they are prescribed / their experience.

o', also be open to improvements to diet, exercise and sleep which are common contributors to dose ineffectualness..... from the sounds of it, you likely do need to teak the dose though..... but keep these factors in the picture throughout this whole process cause they can contribute.

CharlesH
07-26-17, 01:42 AM
Do you mind sharing your rationale behind your reluctance to taking a third IR dose? Just have open conversations with your doctor about your thoughts and concerns. You seem like a thoughtful and responsible person, and hopefully your doctor will see that as well. Also, what is the current average time gap between your two IR dosages? Congrats on having your kids, and being able to manage yourself without medication for all of that time!

I'm not a medical professional, but in my experience and opinion, I don't think you need to worry about the number of times you re-dose. The IR medication is supposed to last around 4-5 hours, and Adderall XR is designed to roughly replicate two IR doses administered 4 hours apart. And yes, it's very normal to take more than 2 IR dosages in a day, or to have an XR in the morning with a booster IR to take later in the day as needed. From what you already said, it looks like your doctor is willing to work with you to accommodate your legitimate medical needs, so I would take that as a positive sign.

sarahsweets
07-26-17, 05:20 AM
For me, Ir meds dont last. Most of that has to do with some absorption issues that I medically have but I still think I would have these issues without my medical problems. XR meds do not last as long as they should either and I take multiple doses throughout the day. They last about 4 hours for me and I start my day at 4 and dont usually go to bed until 10. So I take 20mg adderall xr at 4a,8, and noon. I take 15mg xr at 3 and then again at 6. The daily recommended max is 60mg a day but, thats not because more than 60mg is horrible, its just what some agency decided. My doctor and I agree that what I take now works best. When I did take ir, I took and ir/xr combo but its still didnt cut it. I have been on mostly xr meds for about 13 years. I think its totally fine to take 3 doses of whichever or both daily.

Pdx1234
07-26-17, 10:06 AM
I guess before, it just seemed to me that three doses of anything per day would be overwhelming. Overwhelming in that I am horribly forgetful and even at two doses sometimes I'd forget to take the second one of the day until I was driving myself or my co workers nuts at work with my fidgeting etc.

But I just need to figure out what will work best and it just might end up being more than two doses of my meds, on work days at least... time will tell and I just need to be patient while figuring it out. Which is hard for me, because I'm so bad at patience. I'm glad that from what you guys have said on here, it all depends on the person. Nothing wrong with having different needs and it isn't abnormal if I do end up having to change up the routine with meds.

Thank you for the replies and insight!

sarahsweets
07-27-17, 03:27 AM
As far as taking meds three times a day...its not that far off from taking meds twice a day and they have special pill cases that can help you remember. I used a really awesome one, I can post a picture if you want.