View Full Version : ADD medication, what am I supposed to feel?

Dreadbolt12
07-26-17, 01:02 PM
Dear fellow ADD'ers,

So I know I haven't been as active on the forums as much (this is like my first post lol) but I've had this question stuck in my head and whenever I'm at my low I always ask myself, What does adderall really do??? What am I supposed to feel? and does it really help with my concentration? I started on adderall about 4 months ago with 10mg ir (by far my favorite) which later was turned to a 10mg XR (did not feel anything) and now currently I am on 15mg XR (the only thing I feel is depressed and unmotivated...) I spoke with my doctor about my mild depression ( kinda of weird saying I was depressed because I had never felt that way until I began taking adderall) *Side Note* ( my whole life I've always been very happy go lucky with a positive energetic mindset, even when I was sad I was always able to use that negative energy to motivate me) After speaking with my doctor she proscribed me BUPROPION to help with my sadness and also work with the adderall to help more with my concentration... ( she also stated it would help quit smoking a lot easier.... yeah.. no its not....... honestly I've gone a few months on and off and this period I'm my life seems to be the hardest ever... (BTW I'm 23 and have been smoking cigarettes since I turned 18.. :( ) The point of my long short story is... I keep feeling embarrassed and disappointed every appointment I go to my doctor and ask for a larger dose.... maybe its my insecurities but I feel like they would judge me as some pill addicted junkie just trying to get more and more, but honestly I haven't been seeing improvements in my concentration.

So I ask what am I supposed to feel? does it really make the dreading pain-staking task of staring at your HomeWork for 3 hours, reading the same sentence over and over and over again. Finally find any and everything to do besides HW, eventually stay up all night and finally hyper focus about 2 hours before your class starts (the next day I mean, pulling an all nighter to start really working at 7am when your class starts at 9am....) to then finally finish (but like barely) show up late to class 30 mins late, and end up getting a C or B when you really know you could have gotten an A had you started the day before...

Because I thought medicine would help shorten that process. Now not only is it the same problem of no concentration getting lost in conversation and people getting annoyed with you on the phone because you forget to talk back and respond because your mind is trying to figure out why in the world is there a fly in my room and now your soul purpose is to chase it down and kill it because his buzzing noises past your ear is distracting.

Plus to top it off I feel more and more sluggish each day, unmotivated, honestly worried because I don't want to leave my room, and sleeping all day then sleep at night and still waking up late for class feeling tired!

Did I have too much faith going into this thinking I could actually sit down for once and read a book longer then "The Cat In The Hat"? or is this just something I will always have for the rest of my life and these "medicines" are just giving me other problems to worry about so I can forget about the fact that I can't concentrate?

Thank you, Jordan

Content ID
07-29-17, 06:03 PM
Hey I know exactly what you're going through and at first it can be rough but you must keep pushing.
When medication is working as intended it should control ADHD symptoms to make it less of a burden.

I am not a medical professional but am re-iterating factual information to help you for your benefit.

OK to begin with.
For the past 4 Months you have been on some form of Adderall for ADHD, the doctor you are seeing is she just a General Practitioner or a Psychiatrist?

I only ask because any Dr. especially a Psychiatrist, knows that during the initial Diagnosis and treatment of ADHD with medication the period in which your Dr. and you find a working dose is crucial. This period your doctor often "Titrates" the dosage, meaning increases the dosage every 1 - 2 weeks until you find something that works.

SEEN FROM THE ADDERALL XR PRESCRIBING GUIDE SECTION 2.1: http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/AdderallXR_USA_ENG.PDF

Also, You said Adderall IR Worked better for you at 10MG, there is no surprise about that. Most adults start off at 15MG.

The thing with Adderall XR is even though you are prescribed 15MG you are only getting 7.5MG at a time twice a day. Which is LESS than what you started on at 10MG IR once a day. To effectively get the 10MG IR efficacy you once got your Dr. WILL NEED to prescribe Adderall XR 20MG.

If she is unwilling to do that and consistently follow up with you FIND A NEW DOCTOR.

sarahsweets
07-30-17, 04:47 AM
Why did you switch from ir to xr?

Dear fellow ADD'ers,

So I know I haven't been as active on the forums as much (this is like my first post lol) but I've had this question stuck in my head and whenever I'm at my low I always ask myself, What does adderall really do??? What am I supposed to feel? and does it really help with my concentration? I started on adderall about 4 months ago with 10mg ir (by far my favorite) which later was turned to a 10mg XR (did not feel anything) and now currently I am on 15mg XR (the only thing I feel is depressed and unmotivated...) I spoke with my doctor about my mild depression ( kinda of weird saying I was depressed because I had never felt that way until I began taking adderall) *Side Note* ( my whole life I've always been very happy go lucky with a positive energetic mindset, even when I was sad I was always able to use that negative energy to motivate me) After speaking with my doctor she proscribed me BUPROPION to help with my sadness and also work with the adderall to help more with my concentration... ( she also stated it would help quit smoking a lot easier.... yeah.. no its not....... honestly I've gone a few months on and off and this period I'm my life seems to be the hardest ever... (BTW I'm 23 and have been smoking cigarettes since I turned 18.. :( ) The point of my long short story is... I keep feeling embarrassed and disappointed every appointment I go to my doctor and ask for a larger dose.... maybe its my insecurities but I feel like they would judge me as some pill addicted junkie just trying to get more and more, but honestly I haven't been seeing improvements in my concentration.

So I ask what am I supposed to feel? does it really make the dreading pain-staking task of staring at your HomeWork for 3 hours, reading the same sentence over and over and over again. Finally find any and everything to do besides HW, eventually stay up all night and finally hyper focus about 2 hours before your class starts (the next day I mean, pulling an all nighter to start really working at 7am when your class starts at 9am....) to then finally finish (but like barely) show up late to class 30 mins late, and end up getting a C or B when you really know you could have gotten an A had you started the day before...

Because I thought medicine would help shorten that process. Now not only is it the same problem of no concentration getting lost in conversation and people getting annoyed with you on the phone because you forget to talk back and respond because your mind is trying to figure out why in the world is there a fly in my room and now your soul purpose is to chase it down and kill it because his buzzing noises past your ear is distracting.

Plus to top it off I feel more and more sluggish each day, unmotivated, honestly worried because I don't want to leave my room, and sleeping all day then sleep at night and still waking up late for class feeling tired!

Did I have too much faith going into this thinking I could actually sit down for once and read a book longer then "The Cat In The Hat"? or is this just something I will always have for the rest of my life and these "medicines" are just giving me other problems to worry about so I can forget about the fact that I can't concentrate?

Thank you, Jordan

CharlesH
07-31-17, 12:49 AM
After speaking with my doctor she proscribed me BUPROPION to help with my sadness and also work with the adderall to help more with my concentration... ( she also stated it would help quit smoking a lot easier.... yeah.. no its not....... honestly I've gone a few months on and off and this period I'm my life seems to be the hardest ever... (BTW I'm 23 and have been smoking cigarettes since I turned 18.. :( ) The point of my long short story is... I keep feeling embarrassed and disappointed every appointment I go to my doctor and ask for a larger dose.... maybe its my insecurities but I feel like they would judge me as some pill addicted junkie just trying to get more and more, but honestly I haven't been seeing improvements in my concentration.

Bupropion tends to not be nearly as effective on average as the stimulants, which is probably why it only has a FDA indication for depression, not ADHD. What makes you feel embarrassed that you keep asking for larger doses? If I'm understanding you correctly, you've only had one dose increase so far (going from 10 mg to 15 mg). 10 mg of XR is the same amount of active chemical as 10 mg of IR, it's just that the XR is more spread out over time.

Dreadbolt12
07-31-17, 05:54 AM
Thank you so much for your input! To answer your question my doctor is a general practitioner, not a psychiatrist. Initially when I began treatment I was on IR but after I had asked for an increase and when asked about my sleeping schedule, I had said that I was going to sleep earlier than usual but that it was nice because usually I stay up late till about 2-3am... She then prescribed me the XR but still 10 mg (same dose) to see how it would effect my concentration and my sleeping schedule. That same week I wasn't noticing any effect while on my medicine and little by little started feeling down and un motivated (depression) which is why later I was prescribed the bupropion.
Just had my last doctors appt this past Friday and I basically told my doctor what I had posted and told her I want to quit treatment because I don't see the benefit of ingesting chemicals that aren't helping with my concentration and just making me feel crappy and down. So she increased me to 20mg adderall now and I think 250mg bupropion (idk because I haven't gotten my refill yet). So for right now I'm going to try the new dose and see how that works and if I'm still feeling bad I'm just going to quit medical treatment and try a counseling route..

Hey I know exactly what you're going through and at first it can be rough but you must keep pushing.
When medication is working as intended it should control ADHD symptoms to make it less of a burden.

I am not a medical professional but am re-iterating factual information to help you for your benefit.

OK to begin with.
For the past 4 Months you have been on some form of Adderall for ADHD, the doctor you are seeing is she just a General Practitioner or a Psychiatrist?

I only ask because any Dr. especially a Psychiatrist, knows that during the initial Diagnosis and treatment of ADHD with medication the period in which your Dr. and you find a working dose is crucial. This period your doctor often "Titrates" the dosage, meaning increases the dosage every 1 - 2 weeks until you find something that works.

SEEN FROM THE ADDERALL XR PRESCRIBING GUIDE SECTION 2.1: http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/AdderallXR_USA_ENG.PDF

Also, You said Adderall IR Worked better for you at 10MG, there is no surprise about that. Most adults start off at 15MG.

The thing with Adderall XR is even though you are prescribed 15MG you are only getting 7.5MG at a time twice a day. Which is LESS than what you started on at 10MG IR once a day. To effectively get the 10MG IR efficacy you once got your Dr. WILL NEED to prescribe Adderall XR 20MG.

If she is unwilling to do that and consistently follow up with you FIND A NEW DOCTOR.

Dreadbolt12
07-31-17, 06:04 AM
Why did you switch from ir to xr?

I didn't want to switch, my doctor said to try the XR and see how it effects me.. after that I've asked about going back to IR but the question always seem to get redirected... Im assuming that because I'm in a college town, the abuse of adderall tends to be higher than in other cities and from what I've heard and information I've gathered on the web, the XR make it slightly more difficult to abuse since they have a delayed effect ( like I said this I just a guess don't quote me lol)

Dreadbolt12
07-31-17, 06:16 AM
Bupropion tends to not be nearly as effective on average as the stimulants, which is probably why it only has a FDA indication for depression, not ADHD. What makes you feel embarrassed that you keep asking for larger doses? If I'm understanding you correctly, you've only had one dose increase so far (going from 10 mg to 15 mg). 10 mg of XR is the same amount of active chemical as 10 mg of IR, it's just that the XR is more spread out over time.

Im embarrassed because since I've started treatment, every appointment I've made I've asked for a higher dose and I've only received one.. I live in a college town which I think has something to do with it, because I've heard stories of students trying to fake ADHD symptoms just to get a script. even the first couple of appointments I went too they would drug test me just to make sure I was on the medicine and not selling it. idk I could just be over thinking, but me personally I hate asking for anything, especially help which is why I'm finding this process so uncomfortable to me.

sarahsweets
07-31-17, 06:31 AM
I didn't want to switch, my doctor said to try the XR and see how it effects me.. after that I've asked about going back to IR but the question always seem to get redirected... Im assuming that because I'm in a college town, the abuse of adderall tends to be higher than in other cities and from what I've heard and information I've gathered on the web, the XR make it slightly more difficult to abuse since they have a delayed effect ( like I said this I just a guess don't quote me lol)

I guess my confusion lies in the fact that she already tried you on IR and switching you to xr doesnt make any sense unless she gave you the impression that she thought you were misusing your medication which it doesnt sound like she did.

sarahsweets
07-31-17, 06:33 AM
Im embarrassed because since I've started treatment, every appointment I've made I've asked for a higher dose and I've only received one.. I live in a college town which I think has something to do with it, because I've heard stories of students trying to fake ADHD symptoms just to get a script. even the first couple of appointments I went too they would drug test me just to make sure I was on the medicine and not selling it. idk I could just be over thinking, but me personally I hate asking for anything, especially help which is why I'm finding this process so uncomfortable to me.

The drug test is a good thing because it proves you are reliable. You have passed them so far so I think you have a right to ask to go back on the ir.

Dreadbolt12
07-31-17, 06:48 AM
The drug test is a good thing because it proves you are reliable. You have passed them so far so I think you have a right to ask to go back on the ir.

yea I wasn't opposed to the idea of the test mainly because it helps prove that I'm serious, but then when the bill came and I had to pay $25 for every drug test I was ******, but thankfully they haven't tested me in 2 months. And the reason they put me on the XR was because the doctor told me it was the next step towards increasing my dosage (I guess to see how I do one the XR but to this day still makes no sense..). Friday had an appt and they're bumping me up to 20mg XR, so I'm going to try that out and if I still feel like its not helping me I'm going to switch doctors.

nanajoy
07-31-17, 06:54 PM
I think that when we are trying to figure this out, it is ok and a good thing to try IR and then XR. It was in my case, anyway.The 10 XR helps, the 5 IR twice a day was not helpful. Who knows why, I'm just glad we tried. As for what it feels like? For me, my goal was a few hours of productivity and focus. I did not want to feel anything. I wanted to feel like me and not drugged at all. I *think* I have found that and am trying to take 3 day vacations so that I can stay at this dose.