View Full Version : Theory of Mind and Empathy in Children With ADHD

userguide
07-27-17, 01:15 PM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28558473

RESULTS:

Children with ADHD showed significantly lower levels of self-reported empathy on most IRI subscales. FPR scores were significantly lower in children with ADHD and were improved, following the administration of MPH, to a level equal to that found in healthy controls.
CONCLUSION:

Children with ADHD show impaired self-reported empathy and FPR when compared with healthy controls. Stimulants improve FPR in children with ADHD to a level equal to that in healthy controls.

Does it mean all social issues in this thread will go away with a pill ?

sarahsweets
07-28-17, 10:09 AM
24 adhd kids and 36 in the controlled group? Hardly a solid long term study IMO. I mean it shows promise but its a fairly small group.

daveddd
07-28-17, 12:13 PM
This is replicated stuff

Stimulants show to calm the emotional response of empathy making it easier to take another's perspective

It's not physical empathy that's bad in ADHD. It's the perspective taking. They think cause the emotions of others flood the logic part of the brain. ( that's just my dumb person way of explaining it. Smart people do it better)

userguide
07-29-17, 12:36 PM
This is replicated stuff

Stimulants show to calm the emotional response of empathy making it easier to take another's perspective

It's not physical empathy that's bad in ADHD. It's the perspective taking. They think cause the emotions of others flood the logic part of the brain. ( that's just my dumb person way of explaining it. Smart people do it better)

I don't get it .

What's "physical empathy" ?
What's "emotional response of empathy" ?

What's empathy in the first place and how can it be measured ?

daveddd
07-29-17, 12:46 PM
I don't get it .

What's "physical empathy" ?
What's "emotional response of empathy" ?

What's empathy in the first place and how can it be measured ?

empathy starts off in as a physical reaction of mirroring another persons emotion (emotional contagion)

by feeling that emotion you can feel it with them, but it should convert (through executive) function of taking tht persons perspective

at that point you console or understand that view, by that you help to regulate their emotion

userguide
07-29-17, 12:59 PM
Ok, got your idea, but I am not buying it yet:)

I need to read more about the systeml.

I am starting to appreciate mild's hyperfocusing on that otherwise weird model :)

daveddd
07-29-17, 01:12 PM
Ok, got your idea, but I am not buying it yet:)

I need to read more about the systeml.

I am starting to appreciate mild's hyperfocusing on that otherwise weird model :)

oh, not really my idea though

just kinda of what the science says

just clarifying , I have my own ideas about things but i generally will say its just my opinion