View Full Version : Funny distribution of concerns across the globe

userguide
07-27-17, 01:21 PM
I put "adhd", "autism" and "ptsd" into google trends, and got an interesting picture.

The adhd/autism ratio is quite different in North America and Western Europe than Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Japan.

Seems like from Sweden to Italy and Japan people are more concerned of adhd than of autism.

I know the numbers might be skewed somehow, but do you think it could make sense ?

mildadhd
07-27-17, 02:00 PM
I put "adhd", "autism" and "ptsd" into google trends, and got an interesting picture.

The adhd/autism ratio is quite different in North America and Western Europe than Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Japan.

Seems like from Sweden to Italy and Japan people are more concerned of adhd than of autism.

I know the numbers might be skewed somehow, but do you think it could make sense ?

I think we should be concerned about both equally.

But I have wondered if autism gets more public attention?

If 1% of the population has autism and 5% of the population has ADHD?

Everything being equal.

I certainly do not feel ADHD gets 5 times more public attention, than autism.

Although I think would great if both got as much public attention as needed.

M

mildadhd
07-27-17, 02:17 PM
This year there was a International ADHD conference in downtown Vancouver British Columbia, Canada.

The conference was held just a few blocks from Vancouver's downtown east side neighbourhoods, sometimes referred to as the poorest postal code in Canada.

The health professionals working in the area I have asked guess up to 50% of the population might have AD(H)D, living in the DTES area.

I was unable to go to the conference, but I wondered if the people attending the conference from all over the world were aware that up to 50% of population living in DTES possibly had ADHD?

M

Lunacie
07-27-17, 03:08 PM

I do think the U.S. is ahead of many countries in diagnosing and treating both
adhd and autism. They are starting to catch up with adhd diagnosis but lag
behind on diagnosis of autism.

Which seems odd because the first doctor to describe and treat autism was
Swiss, and the first scientist to describe Asperger's was German.