View Full Version : ADD Coaches sharing your info???

Tara
06-18-05, 11:03 PM
Right now there is no official credentialing or certification for "ADD Coaches". The International Coach Federation credentials "Life Coaches". Life Coaching is based on a wellness model. Despite people's personal views of what AD/HD is or isn't, it is classified as a disorder and in the DSM IV. Part of the credentialing process to become a "Life Coach" through ICF requires that coaches prove that they have coached a certain ammount of hours by providing names and email addresses of clients they have coached.

How do you as a person who has been diagnosed with AD/HD feel about the idea of somebody you hire as an ADD Coach sharing your information? (The coach would have to get a signed realease from you to share this info).

Ian
06-20-05, 12:30 AM
I now avoid that style of coach. I don't think the benefits of coaches need necessarily be the sole domain of the skilled practitioner.

With almost any degree of emotional detachment while remaining bonded, the coach needn't be as formalised as is often thought to be required. At least this is how it's been in my experience. I now take "coaching" away from many people that are not acknowledged to be anything but acquaintances.

I'd revolt if I thought my professional coach was adding my name to a dossier client list without my knowledge.
Thanks for bringing this to light Tara. This is great information and I appreciate you bringing the topic open here.

Cheers! Ian.

Nucking_Futs
06-20-05, 06:46 AM
Right now there is no official credentialing or certification for "ADD Coaches". The International Coach Federation credentials "Life Coaches". Life Coaching is based on a wellness model. Despite people's personal views of what AD/HD is or isn't, it is classified as a disorder and in the DSM IV. Part of the credentialing process to become a "Life Coach" through ICF requires that coaches prove that they have coached a certain ammount of hours by providing names and email addresses of clients they have coached.

How do you as a person who has been diagnosed with AD/HD feel about the idea of somebody you hire as an ADD Coach sharing your information? (The coach would have to get a signed realease from you to share this info).

If I signed the release obviously I would not have a problem with them sharing my information with those who ensure they are doing their job right. Now, if they were to share their information with future or present clients or another coach then the **** would hit the fan.