View Full Version : Vyvanse + Gabapentin

fathom6
07-29-17, 07:58 PM
Folks I have been taking Vyvanse 70mg 1x/daily for last 4-5 months. I would say it is miracle med that really brought good transformational change in me. My doc had also prescribed Buspirone 5mg 3x/daily for my Anxiety, which I only used for 2 weeks. I felt Buspirone was slowing me down (counter acting the positive benefits of Vyvanse) and I was feeling my limbs as heavy, maybe zombie like feeling - loss of emotion.

My doc now prescribed Gabapentin 100mg 3x/daily for Anxiety and suggested on my next appointment if Gabapentin does not work, that I should consider starting anti-depressants - either Prozac, Paxil or Effexor. I did tell the doc that I am not depressed, I just have "immense fear" from just about everything.

I did google resources on this drug but this forum is unique, since you get live feedback from people so much similar. So my question being:

a) is anyone here actually using Gabapentin or has used it in past? maybe even alongside Vyvanse (or Adderall etc)?
b) what did Gabapentin felt like? As much detail you can give : )
c) did it cause any weight gain?

finallyfound10
07-30-17, 12:00 AM
I am an RN who worked on a neurosurgical/neurology unit and now an inpatient psychiatric unit and have administered a ton of Gabapentin for neuropathic pain, post-op pain, seizures and mood stabilization. I am a huge fan of it due it's diversity.

That being said, it isn't a common first line drug for anxiety. Have you tried other meds? I am not sure that it causes weight gain as many of the patients I work with now are on other meds that very often cause weight gain like Zyprexa, Seroquel and Clozaril.

fathom6
07-30-17, 12:09 AM
Hi, I did some further digging, and came across some rave reviews of "propranolol" as a medicine for anxiety
d) Anyone has use "propranolol" and if so how that worked alongside Vyvanse/Adderall?

fathom6
07-30-17, 12:33 AM
Thanks finallyfound10, though I am now confused since it seems like ALL psychiatric medicines have similar 'diversity of uses'? Other beta blockers, anti-depressants, heck even stimulants. So if that is the "main" positive or selling point of Gabapentin, I would be scared from it.

Yea I felt surprised too why Gabapentin as a first line drug for anxiety. And yes, I have tried Buspirone and I truly hated it. I even experimented quite objectively:
Day 1: Just Vyvanse: --> Beautiful day (I am happy, chatty, focused, felt like 10 years younger)
Day 2: Just Busprione --> Ugly ugly day (heavier limbs, low-energy, sluggish thoughts, or were there any thoughts, felt like frickin 90 years older)
Day 3: Vyvanse + Buspirone --> Medium day (constrained happiness/sadness, constrained chattiness/isolation, constrained focus, felt my real age, felt as if Buspar was fighting Vyvanse and the fighting ended as a tie)

Value your opinions, its great to have a Psychiatric RN here and a fellow patient. This is very valuable to hear from you. Thanks.

I am an RN who worked on a neurosurgical/neurology unit and now an inpatient psychiatric unit and have administered a ton of Gabapentin for neuropathic pain, post-op pain, seizures and mood stabilization. I am a huge fan of it due it's diversity.

That being said, it isn't a common first line drug for anxiety. Have you tried other meds? I am not sure that it causes weight gain as many of the patients I work with now are on other meds that very often cause weight gain like Zyprexa, Seroquel and Clozaril.

finallyfound10
07-30-17, 12:19 PM
Beta Blockers are more for short term anxiety producing situations like a public speaking event or a date. It's more for social anxiety not generalized anxiety.

Glad to hear that Vyvanse is working for you. I tried it once and it was ok.

Like Gabapentin, Buspar is not a first line med for anxiety either. Look into the SSRI's and SSNRI's as they are first line meds for generalized anxiety. I wonder why your doc isn't using one of those first?

fathom6
07-30-17, 04:40 PM
ok, I hear you now. So you are saying Anti-depressants are the first line meds for "General Anxiety", because Prozac, Paxil and Effexor are SSRI's right?

So, the aspect I struggle is to understand ... I am not depressed, I am a happy person within myself, but I am happiest when I am in control i.e. alone. I get VERY tired/exhausted when I talk/socialize with anyone. So my biggest fear is socializing and talking (which would be SAD - social anxiety disorder), but correct me if I am wrong the fear from other things, like I constantly have a feeling of impending doom that would be GAD (general anxiety disorder) right?

So far Vyvanse apart from giving me ability to complete tasks, most importantly it gives me energy to talk. Can you imagine, I am 31, and I have been silent (no talking) for 31 years of my life :) The moment I started taking Vyvanse, I have started talking/engaging with people .... I am so thrilled, its like a miracle happening for me, and I am so desperate to improve further.

Could you please if you know, what is the best medicine that makes you VERY talkative? even better than vyvanse.

Beta Blockers are more for short term anxiety producing situations like a public speaking event or a date. It's more for social anxiety not generalized anxiety.

Glad to hear that Vyvanse is working for you. I tried it once and it was ok.

Like Gabapentin, Buspar is not a first line med for anxiety either. Look into the SSRI's and SSNRI's as they are first line meds for generalized anxiety. I wonder why your doc isn't using one of those first?

Little Missy
07-30-17, 04:43 PM
Geez, how talkative do you want to be? Non-stop?

fathom6
07-30-17, 05:05 PM
maybe that works in my case. A med that makes others non-stop talk, for me, it may make me talk to a socially accepted level. Now that I have seen the benefits of vyvanse, I wish to do even better.

Geez, how talkative do you want to be? Non-stop?

Little Missy
07-30-17, 06:24 PM
maybe that works in my case. A med that makes others non-stop talk, for me, it may make me talk to a socially accepted level. Now that I have seen the benefits of vyvanse, I wish to do even better.

Be sure and mention your desires to talk even more at your next doctor appointment. :)

fathom6
07-30-17, 09:41 PM
C'mon Little Missy, you are of very little help : )

Be sure and mention your desires to talk even more at your next doctor appointment. :)

finallyfound10
07-31-17, 01:16 AM
Each person reacts to meds differently so Person A may become very, very chatty as their depression and anxiety decrease if they are on a med(s) for that and Person B may become very, very chatty on an ADHD med.

As someone who used to be quite the talker and social butterfly but no longer, the more you socialize and talk to people, you will develop your style and find your social comfort zones. I would stick with this dose Vyvanse and practice socializing with it for awhile before adding anything else. You don't want to be too hyped up and talking too much in an annoying way.

One can have SAD and GAD at the same time. I have both but hopefully the SAD will decrease once I get back into life again and used to being around non-work people which will hopefully be soon.

Constantly having a feeling of impending doom would be GAD unless it is only in social situations, then it's SAD- I think. I haven't read the DSM-V about them but if I get a chance at work in the next few days, I will look them up and let you know.

fathom6
07-31-17, 10:22 PM
Thanks so much.

Each person reacts to meds differently so Person A may become very, very chatty as their depression and anxiety decrease if they are on a med(s) for that and Person B may become very, very chatty on an ADHD med.

As someone who used to be quite the talker and social butterfly but no longer, the more you socialize and talk to people, you will develop your style and find your social comfort zones. I would stick with this dose Vyvanse and practice socializing with it for awhile before adding anything else. You don't want to be too hyped up and talking too much in an annoying way.

One can have SAD and GAD at the same time. I have both but hopefully the SAD will decrease once I get back into life again and used to being around non-work people which will hopefully be soon.

Constantly having a feeling of impending doom would be GAD unless it is only in social situations, then it's SAD- I think. I haven't read the DSM-V about them but if I get a chance at work in the next few days, I will look them up and let you know.

fathom6
08-02-17, 12:56 AM
I took gabapentin. Wow, one hr after taking, my computer screen started to move in circles. 1.5 to 2 hrs after taking, its now difficult to walk on a straight line, wow. There is an immense state of calmness around me.

fathom6
08-03-17, 05:26 PM
I can say one thing, Gabapentin makes it presence known. I tried Buspar for like 2 weeks and it was a dud. So far, since I started Gabapentin:

- the adrenaline from Vyvanse has gotten completely tamed. I feel my heart is not even beating.
- anxiety: I dont know. I have a calmness that one gets from alcohol, but not anything other than that. I still have fear and maybe fear has increased. Are anxiety and fear are totally different things, and require different meds?
- I feel very tamed down. I feel no anger for anyone. But on other hand, the "drive" that Vyvanse gave me has decreased too. Ability to focus unfortunately has decreased too.
- my balance and co-ordination has become horrible. I am hitting doorways left and right. Even sense of perception is now different.