View Full Version : It's like the WHOLE WORLD forgot about us and doesn't want to help

GaMommy
07-30-17, 02:10 PM
Forgive me, I'm 1 week off of Adderall due to new my insurance wanting me to pay a $2800 deductible and I'm suffering. Can't focus, motivation is gone, and my memory is flat-lined. I even forgot that I've visited this forum before and already had a login. :eek:

You all have apparently been hyper-focusing to find reasons and solutions to our shared problem, so I feel that I'm finally surrounded by ppl who know what I'm going through.

I have 3 boys who are ADHD, 2 of which have been on ADHD meds for several years, but I'm seeing that that junk is making them far worse in the long run. I see tons of natural alternatives online, but they all say they work, but reviews say different. I need help! And doctor's are OWNED by BIG PHARMA so they won't even talk to me without trying to shove prescriptions down my throat. :mad:

I've done tons of research, but my focus will only stretch so far and I think I'm going in circles. What really works? For adults and kids? :confused::confused:

Little Missy
07-30-17, 02:50 PM
Medication. Period.

Unless someone does not want to take it.

Not all doctors are owned by "big pharma."

Fuzzy12
07-30-17, 03:26 PM
In what way exactly are your kids worse? Rather than completely dismissing meds (which are the only form of treatment proven to be effective for adhd) it might be worth looking at their particular problems. What side effects are they struggling with?

mildadhd
07-30-17, 04:13 PM
Forgive me, I'm 1 week off of Adderall due to new my insurance wanting me to pay a $2800 deductible and I'm suffering. Can't focus, motivation is gone, and my memory is flat-lined. I even forgot that I've visited this forum before and already had a login. :eek:

You all have apparently been hyper-focusing to find reasons and solutions to our shared problem, so I feel that I'm finally surrounded by ppl who know what I'm going through.

I have 3 boys who are ADHD, 2 of which have been on ADHD meds for several years, but I'm seeing that that junk is making them far worse in the long run. I see tons of natural alternatives online, but they all say they work, but reviews say different. I need help! And doctor's are OWNED by BIG PHARMA so they won't even talk to me without trying to shove prescriptions down my throat. :mad:

I've done tons of research, but my focus will only stretch so far and I think I'm going in circles. What really works? For adults and kids? :confused::confused:

Can you buy the medication monthly on your own?

The medication that works best for me is not covered, so I have to pay for the medication monthly, when I get my prescription filled.

M

Little Missy
07-30-17, 04:31 PM
I'm having a real strong cold brew coffee that will do the trick with my next dose.

So, your new insurance just suddenly became effective?

GaMommy
07-30-17, 05:58 PM
Can you buy the medication monthly on your own?

The medication that works best for me is not covered, so I have to pay for the medication monthly, when I get my prescription filled.
M

For Aderrall XR 30mg is $170 w/o insurance. However, I'm used to paying the $10 copay each month :doh:

Plus I've noticed since being off it is how much worse I am since before I began taking it. Every morning I would scramble to remember to take it and my symptoms became noticeably worse and I would crave it. So now I'm asking myself, "what am I doing to my kids whose brains are developing?"

The meds are great until they wear off. I feel like I'm in the movie Limitless!

Before shelling out load of money for bad meds, I was hoping for an alternative that won't damage our brains.

GaMommy
07-30-17, 06:05 PM
In what way exactly are your kids worse? Rather than completely dismissing meds (which are the only form of treatment proven to be effective for adhd) it might be worth looking at their particular problems. What side effects are they struggling with?

When they miss a dose or when it wears off they are hyperactive and cognition seems to be on a lower level than their age. ie, My 12 and 9 yo who both take meds don't act as mature as my 7yo who I refuse to put on meds. All 3 boys are diagnosed with ADHD, but my 7yo can handle situations better bc he has to. For example - for the 2 on meds, the meds handle their anxieties, stress, focus, etc. for them. I fully believe that ADHD Rx meds REGRESS children & I'm working toward getting them off of it!

I hope that made sense

GaMommy
07-30-17, 06:07 PM
So, your new insurance just suddenly became effective?

Yes, my employer went with a new company and when I went to fill my Rx, I was told I'd have to pay full price or the $2800 deductible. I don't see a dr consistently except for my meds dr. and he had already written it previous to the new insurance taking over.

mildadhd
07-30-17, 07:10 PM
For Aderrall XR 30mg is $170 w/o insurance. However, I'm used to paying the $10 copay each month :doh:

Plus I've noticed since being off it is how much worse I am since before I began taking it. Every morning I would scramble to remember to take it and my symptoms became noticeably worse and I would crave it. So now I'm asking myself, "what am I doing to my kids whose brains are developing?"

The meds are great until they wear off. I feel like I'm in the movie Limitless!

Before shelling out load of money for bad meds, I was hoping for an alternative that won't damage our brains.

I would make sure you and your family are receiving the basic developmental needs required to promote the healthy development of self-regulation.

M

finallyfound10
07-31-17, 01:27 AM
The manufacturers have programs to help people who can't afford meds. J & J was income based but they all might not be.

sarahsweets
07-31-17, 06:41 AM

The reason the reviews say different is because most people do not see improvement with naturopath medicine. Doctors are not all owned by Big Pharma. Who do you think makes out when people buy into homeopathic medicine? Why do you think the supplement industry is so lucrative? If anything the natural alternative crowd as it better because they are not FDA approved and not monitored by the FDA. Did you know that all these supplement companies do not have to prove with studies that they are effective in working on the problems they say the supplements are good for? Did you know that they do not have to prove their claims?

sarahsweets
07-31-17, 06:43 AM

Can you provide sources to back up your claims of brain damage?

sarahsweets
07-31-17, 06:45 AM
When they miss a dose or when it wears off they are hyperactive and cognition seems to be on a lower level than their age. ie, My 12 and 9 yo who both take meds don't act as mature as my 7yo who I refuse to put on meds. All 3 boys are diagnosed with ADHD, but my 7yo can handle situations better bc he has to. For example - for the 2 on meds, the meds handle their anxieties, stress, focus, etc. for them. I fully believe that ADHD Rx meds REGRESS children & I'm working toward getting them off of it!

I hope that made sense

I wish I understood where you are getting your information from, then I could possibly help unravel it. It sounds like you googled something that already had a bias in the search terms and found information that you think backs up your assertions.

sarahsweets
08-07-17, 05:14 AM
OP, can you expound on the part about regressing children?

hutchie0109
08-07-17, 05:59 PM
There are children on various medications because they need to be on them, no one complains about that, making up facts. I was on long term medication as a child, a non Adhd medication, but obviously linked now, which is still prescribed to children and adults, an anti depresant.

aeon
08-07-17, 07:49 PM
Thank all that is good in the world for Big Pharma...they make the medications that are actually proven to work...especially because nothing else has ever been proven to do so, outside of daily therapy.

And yes, dextroamphetamine in particular has been shown to change brain structures...in a way that brings them closer to that which is normative.

You can believe ADHD meds regress children with ADHD if you want to. I'd suggest you find peer-reviewed, verified clinical data in support of your position before making a decision which could have undesired outcomes for your children.

Cheers,
Ian

Lunacie
08-07-17, 08:53 PM
I was very unsure about medications when I joined this forum many years ago.
But seeing videos by Dr. Russell Barkley discussing the risks to those with adhd
who are not medicated showed me a lot about considering risk vs benefit.

ginniebean
08-08-17, 07:41 PM
ADHD medication has a half life of around six hours meaning it is out of your system completely within 12 hours. When medication wears off it is noticible even in adults. When people stop medication they experience fatigue and more challenging symptoms for a few days while their body adjusts to being without medication.

When my kids were young I was very anti medication. It scared me. Knowing what I know now about how ADHD ruins lives there is no question for me that medication is the safer route. Educate yourself about ADHD. it's often talked about as if it is little more than a nuisance along with the nuisance children that come with it.

All four of you have ADHD, you owe it to yourself and your children to seek out the best information you can. if you are wrong, you're wrong for four. You only pay the consequences of one of those lives.

My children pay the consequence for my former ignorance and I don't wish that guilt on anyone.

Narratives of overly active healthy children being "drugged" have an agenda attached to that ever so wholesome packaging. ADHD is not a benign disorder, lives truly get ruined. These narratives ignore this. Don't take my word for it the science is sound, it's immaculately done. Check it out for yourself.