View Full Version : Trying Concerta but can't tell if it's working

oakleye1
07-31-17, 03:09 PM
I started on Concerta 18mg a week ago. According to the doctor I am to bump to 36mg this week. The first day I felt like I had a rocket booster strapped to my back and I couldn't stop talking. I didn't sleep much that night. As the week wore on, I could feel my body getting more and more run down, but my mind would be wide awake. I took Saturday off the pills and then took one pill Sunday (since I had to work) and 2 pills today (Monday). I feel jittery and obsessive about everything except the work I should be doing. I haven't been on any other medications so I don't really know what I am supposed to be feeling. Any help on this? How do I know if this is the right medication for me? I have a follow up in 11 days and I don't have a clue what to tell the doctor.

Emre22
07-31-17, 04:16 PM
Medications like concerta and amphetamines may cause a euphoria at the beginning but it will be gone away after a time

Whatever you experienced is sounds like amphetamine psychosis or manic attack ( also ADHD medications may trigger OCD sometimes)

But it is very short time period and hard to say anything

Just use it on therapeutic dose that your doctor recommended, do not lower or increase it by yourself

use it on correct dosage in period that your doctor told you

Then consider consequences with your doctor when u visit him

I am on concerta for 2 years, my current dose is 54mg and sometimes i use ritalin with it so (54+10 or 54+10+10)

ohlookakitty
08-07-17, 03:52 PM
Are you eating properly? It's very common with these medication to tank your appetite; when I'm not paying attention I would go for 6+ hours without eating and start to feel dizzy. But I'm not hungry. With 18mg sometimes I end up skipping snacking or I just become a bit agitated by end of the day because I'm not getting enough calories in (which is bad long term really).

I agree about not increasing/decreasing without a doctor's approval. That can be very dangerous without knowing what how the medication is affecting you which obviously will vary by each individual.