View Full Version : How to call out sick when you have a job interview

anonymouslyadd
07-31-17, 10:58 PM
I have a job interview tomorrow and will be calling out sick. I'm wondering how to handle this with my pseudo-boss. She doesn't like me, and I don't trust her.

I need to know what to do and what not to do. I guess I'm worried about her response and somehow being caught. We just had a reorganization in which many employees were let go.

namazu
07-31-17, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the interview!

Do you get a certain # of sick days (or any vacation/personal days) each year?

anonymouslyadd
07-31-17, 11:14 PM
Congrats on the interview!

Do you get a certain # of sick days (or any vacation/personal days) each year?
Not really. We haven't worked all of that out yet.

namazu
07-31-17, 11:31 PM
Hmmm...that does make it trickier...

If you can't just say you're taking a personal day -- and I'm guessing you'd not be comfortable saying you're taking a "mental health day" -- then I guess you'll have to make up an excuse. Feeling unwell? Headache (like, your boss)? ;)

anonymouslyadd
07-31-17, 11:38 PM
Hmmm...that does make it trickier...

If you can't just say you're taking a personal day -- and I'm guessing you'd not be comfortable saying you're taking a "mental health day" -- then I guess you'll have to make up an excuse. Feeling unwell? Headache (like, your boss)? ;)
Well, that's what I'm going to do. I figure that if I do it early in the morning (I begin work at 12:00 p.m.), that will make this seem more real and also give them time to have the other guy come in and work.

anonymouslyadd
08-01-17, 12:09 AM
I'm avoiding all social media stuff. I will not post online at all tomorrow.

Fuzzy12
08-01-17, 05:31 AM
Can't you just take leave?

sarahsweets
08-01-17, 07:52 AM
I hate lying but have some to terms with it as something that has to happen. When I say I dont lie, I mean I dont lie for any reason. I try and find a reason to technically be true because I am a terrible liar. My husband called out last week to come to the shore with us, he said something major came up that he had to deal with. I am guessing that you cant do that. Since you have to call out sick, I would try and find something that you regularly or frequently have had to deal with because the element of truth will keep you from looking like a liar. Lets say you have a bad stomach or bad acid reflux....if you say that you have this problem and your issue is acting up and you cant come in is till technically a lie, but the element of truth to it will make it easier to explain and stay consistent with. Do you have any sort of health issues that would be considered chronic? I hate giving advice like this because I dont want to look like some pro at manipulating or lying but sometimes in your case, there isnt another way around it.

namazu
08-01-17, 09:37 PM
How'd it go today -- both getting out of Job #1 and interviewing for Job #2?

anonymouslyadd
08-01-17, 11:01 PM
How'd it go today -- both getting out of Job #1 and interviewing for Job #2?
So far so good. The interview went really well. We'll see if there's backlash at Job #1 tomorrow.

EuropeanADHD
08-03-17, 12:55 AM
Can't you just take leave?

I'm in a similar situation to the OP and I'm asking myself how to organize that.

I could take a day off. However, if I ask my boss for a day off in advance and he says no it will be difficult for me to call out sick on the same day, right?

Abshire
08-08-17, 08:47 PM
I might have to do something similar to attend mock interview sessions at the job center. The mock interviews are always held in the mornings, when I work at my current job. Actually, my boss knows I'm looking, but he probably isn't too worried about losing me. I've been rejected several times before. Obviously, I'm still doing something wrong or I would have had a good offer by now, even in this tough job market.:(