View Full Version : Confusion

Danbui2780
08-01-17, 02:37 PM
I recently started therapy.

At the office I get treatment at a nurse practitioner does all the prescribing of meds.

She prescribed me by buspar for anxiety but nothing for ADHD.

When I went to my next appointment with my therapist he said my ADHD is what should be treated first cause it's causing the most problems for me in life and the the nurse practitioner should have prescribed me something for that before anything else or at least with any other medications.

It has me very confused.

He basically told me he doesn't feel she has too much experience yet and I should have been the one to tell her this. But why would it be me??? I'm just trusting them to help me.

My next appointment with my therapist is today and my next appointment with the nurse practitioner is in 2 weeks.

What should I be doing/saying to ensure I'm getting the best help I get??

PoppnNSailinMan
08-01-17, 05:19 PM
I recently started therapy.

At the office I get treatment at a nurse practitioner does all the prescribing of meds.

She prescribed me by buspar for anxiety but nothing for ADHD.

When I went to my next appointment with my therapist he said my ADHD is what should be treated first cause it's causing the most problems for me in life and the the nurse practitioner should have prescribed me something for that before anything else or at least with any other medications.

It has me very confused.

He basically told me he doesn't feel she has too much experience yet and I should have been the one to tell her this. But why would it be me??? I'm just trusting them to help me.

My next appointment with my therapist is today and my next appointment with the nurse practitioner is in 2 weeks.

What should I be doing/saying to ensure I'm getting the best help I get??

It would be better I would think if your therapist and the nurse practitioner communicated with each other.

When I went in to get evaluated for ADHD, my therapist communicated with my psychiatrist. She took notes during our sessions on how I was responding to the Ritalin the psychiatrist had prescribed for me (both benefits and side effects) and passed those on to the psychiatrist to help him reach the proper dose for me.

Danbui2780
08-01-17, 05:26 PM
That's what I thought...

I went in to my appointment today and it was a whole different therapist. Apparently the one I was seeing up and quit... ����*♀️ And the one I'm seeing is only there short term so I'll eventually see a different one soon... it all seems kind of disorganized if you ask me...

ADD.cat
08-01-17, 10:44 PM
That's what I thought...

I went in to my appointment today and it was a whole different therapist. Apparently the one I was seeing up and quit... ����*♀️ And the one I'm seeing is only there short term so I'll eventually see a different one soon... it all seems kind of disorganized if you ask me...

that sounds pretty messy. is finding a new therapist any option?

Danbui2780
08-01-17, 11:45 PM
I live in a small town with not a lot of options and I had to wait over 3 months to start at the place I am at.

I can see if I can find something else but chances are I'll continue here while waiting for the other place. And it'll probably be able the same amount of waiting time, if they're even accepting new patients. Last time I tried to find someone no one in town was so I feel lucky to even be getting any kind of progress right now.

I do agree that ADHD is my biggest problem but last time I was prescribed stimulates it increased my anxiety ALOT so maybe getting my anxiety under control first is a good idea.