View Full Version : Method of consuming meds - opening capsule

fathom6
08-01-17, 04:20 PM
I am wondering if there is any drawback of opening Vyvanse capsule and consuming it by mixing it in water?

Reason I ask is, cause my doc had suggested it initially, so I could vary the dosage (like on weekend take half a capsule). Though I today felt strange. Since last couple of days my voice is acting funny and I am not talking much with people, my voice pitch specially is down all day and I dont feel very good about my voice. Today when I took Vyvanse, I felt burning in my throat. I do have LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux), so my throat/vocal cords are sensitive to certain foods, and I do take precaution on what I eat. But I am wondering if consuming meds specially a med like Vyvanse could be harmful to throat since (if it dissolves in water so easily) then it must also be permeating the membranes of ones throat and esophagus and irritating it?. I hope my theory is wrong, but please chime in with your experiences, did mixing Adderall or Vyvanse in water irritate your throat? thanks.

namazu
08-01-17, 05:24 PM
For what it's worth, the manufacturer gives these instructions (http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf):
Information for VYVANSE capsules:
• Swallow VYVANSE capsules whole, or
• Open capsules, empty and mix the entire contents with yogurt, water, or orange
juice. If the contents of the capsule include any compacted powder, a spoon may
be used to break apart the powder. The contents should be mixed until
completely dispersed. Consume the entire mixture immediately. It should not be
stored. The active ingredient dissolves completely once dispersed; however, a
film containing the inactive ingredients may remain in the glass or container once
the mixture is consumed.

<strike>They do not recommend water (I don't know why)</strike>, and they also do not recommend taking less than a full dose this way or storing leftovers for future use.

If your doctor is willing to do so, and the doses are suitable, and you can afford it, it might be more convenient to get prescriptions for the 2 different strengths you use so that you aren't in a position of having to do home chemistry. If not, perhaps one of the medications that has a generic form might work for you and come in more convenient dosage forms at a more reasonable cost.

fathom6
08-01-17, 08:18 PM
Wow, they DO recommend mixing with water. You just confirmed it in the reference body. Though I am confused cause you are saying they do not?

For what it's worth, the manufacturer gives these instructions (http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf):

They do not recommend water (I don't know why), and they also do not recommend taking less than a full dose this way or storing leftovers for future use.

If your doctor is willing to do so, and the doses are suitable, and you can afford it, it might be more convenient to get prescriptions for the 2 different strengths you use so that you aren't in a position of having to do home chemistry. If not, perhaps one of the medications that has a generic form might work for you and come in more convenient dosage forms at a more reasonable cost.

namazu
08-01-17, 09:17 PM
Wow, they DO recommend mixing with water. You just confirmed it in the reference body. Though I am confused cause you are saying they do not?
Whoops! My error! :o

They suggest yogurt, water, or orange juice. (Somehow I missed the middle one.) Thanks for the correction!

fathom6
08-01-17, 11:08 PM
ok great, and thanks for finding this vyvanse reference. So would the conclusion in this case be that ... while it is safe to consume Vyvanse mixed with water, the reason I had irritation today, was perhaps due to other causes like maybe existing irritated or maybe sore-throat, and then maybe taking vyvanse exacerbated it? Or am I still too way off?

Whoops! My error! :o

They suggest yogurt, water, or orange juice. (Somehow I missed the middle one.) Thanks for the correction!

namazu
08-01-17, 11:13 PM
ok great, and thanks for finding this vyvanse reference. So would the conclusion in this case be that ... while it is safe to consume Vyvanse mixed with water, the reason I had irritation today, was perhaps due to other causes like maybe existing irritated or maybe sore-throat, and then maybe taking vyvanse exacerbated it? Or am I still too way off?
I'm not a medical doctor, but what you suggest sounds plausible. If you're already prone to reflux or esophageal irritation, then it seems reasonable to guess that the Vyvanse-water mixture (or something else you consumed) could have set it off again.

If it was the Vyvanse-water mix, it seems possible that swallowing the capsule whole (or maybe mixing it with yogurt, which might provide some soothing coating) could maybe help prevent the problem in the future. This sounds like one of those situations where you may have to experiment a bit to see what combinations of foods/beverages you tolerate best, and whether how you take the Vyvanse makes a difference.