View Full Version : Tired of being tired all the damn time!

eap1014
08-01-17, 05:52 PM
Somewhat recently diagnosed, only taking Lexapro (20mg) at the moment. I tried Adderall and Ritalin, neither seemed to help my focus. But now I'm thinking that maybe I wasn't able to focus because I was too tired?

What meds have others tried that helped with the constant fatigue?

I do have a lot of good days where I'm not yawning all day long, but it seems to be getting worse as I'm getting older. I'm almost 40 and I'm a nanny and I work at a child care center and I'm an art student. I need my energy!!!

I sleep decently, and get 8-ish hours most nights...getting out of bed is really hard no matter how much sleep I got that night though.

My dr doesn't seem to be of much help in knowing what could combat the fatigue, and I'm on Medicaid, so I can't just switch drs...

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions from others who have been there and I'll go to my next apt armed with more info.

Thanks!

sarahsweets
08-02-17, 04:57 AM
IME making sure that I 100% have a good sleep routine is what works best for fatigue. And I dont mean something like "I go to bed at 11" I mean a routine that you use every single day no matter what, something that is predicatable and doable.

Unmanagable
08-02-17, 10:13 AM
I can no longer take meds due to side effects outweighing benefits in my particular biological make-up, but remember that I, too, used to be quite lethargic, had no energy, couldn't even force momentum, and had reached a point of misery where I was almost bed ridden.

I was also morbidly obese at the time, tipping the scales at over 300 lbs., but had been told repeatedly that all my blood work, etc. was "okay" and they couldn't find anything wrong other than a few chronic illnesses like fibromyalgia, severe osteoarthritis, and other inflammatory digestive issues, like IBS, acid reflux, etc. that I'd just have to get used to and take meds for the rest of my life to manage them, as they simply come with age. (along with anxiety, insomnia, depression, adhd, etc., etc.)

Then I drastically changed my consumption habits, thanks to an ER visit that was suggesting surgery as my next move. I gave up all meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, and alcohol along with artificially sweetened/flavored/colored/scented anything, have since lost over 100 lbs. and have had energy and vitality restored that I thought I'd never see again.

Apparently much of the dis-ease we live with comes from the foods we eat and the things we choose to drink, not simply from getting older, as most of the docs I encountered say. Genetics aren't the only things that run in families, so do the consumption habits.

Some think what I did was way too extreme to even think about trying, however, I personally felt that allowing them to cut me open and remove organs and such was even more extreme.

I also added purposeful daily movement that wasn't a regular part of my days before, and made it fun and easily accessible so I can look forward to it rather than dreading it. I get most of my daily hydration in during the morning hours, too, whereas before, I used to space it out throughout the entire day. But then again, back then, I would also count sodas, sweet tea, coffee, and alcohol as hydrating liquids. Not a wise move.

Prior to the changes I made, I had also been a life long shift worker and my sleep habits were to stay up until the wee hours of the morning and sleep until almost noon-ish the next day. A couple years after having resigned from my job that required such a crazy schedule, I still suffered from major sleep disturbance.

However, a few months into my consumption changes, my sleep cycles started changing, too. Now it's rare that I'm up past midnight and I'm up by 8ish each day, if not earlier, especially during garden season. Never thought I'd sleep like "normal" folks do, or do anything else that closely resembles anything "normal". Ever.

So after all that rambling, what I found to work the best for me, overall, is to pay close attention to all of my consumption habits to ensure I'm fueling and surrounding my body with the cleanest choices possible in regards to what it can healthily work with. It seems to do a much better job in looking after itself once it can relax and perform as it was meant to in a more user-friendly environment vs. the toxic cesspool I'd created for it before. Everyone's mileage will vary. Best wishes in finding your healthiest grooves.