View Full Version : Non Medicated

ADD.cat
08-01-17, 10:57 PM
any of you folks manage your adhd without the use of medications?

i used to take adderall but it made me very anxious and caused chest pain so i stopped taking it. i never found a replacement (mostly because i lost my health insurance after moving ) and have mostly been ignoring my symptoms until they've recently become too apparent and intrusive.

i've been having some successes by practicing yoga, meditating, self reflection and communication with my partner. though i have a lot more work to do, i am excited to see how much growth i've witnessed in myself in just a week or so.

do any of you have any non medicated methods of managing your symptoms?

Greyhound1
08-01-17, 11:26 PM
I have always found that exercising really helped. Not enough to really manage my Adhd symptoms but it does help to clear my mind a bit for a few hours. Helps me more with a racing mind, obsessive thoughts and anxiety.

Unmanagable
08-02-17, 12:30 AM
My body wasn't jiving with the meds route regarding several issues, so I flipped the script on my entire lifestyle to help manage my buffet of symptoms that include but aren't limited to adhd.

In addition to adding fun and purposeful daily movement, also known as exercise, learning to breathe properly and practice breath work techniques daily, and learning how to redirect the endless loops of harsh self-talk I was so used to, I gave up meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweeteners/flavors/colors/scents/etc., as far as what I ingest as well as what I choose to use in my external environment, as much as humanly possible.

It's the most difficult, yet most rewarding thing I've ever attempted and worked through. I didn't, by any means, gently ease into trying that lifestyle out just to see if it would work. I fought it for years and continued to believe it was a bunch of BS, but my body decided to make it necessary to give it a try, as everything else had failed to bring any sustained relief.

I was catapulted into trying it via an ER visit that, had I not made the changes I did, would have guaranteed surgical visits to follow. I'd rather hold onto the things I was born with, if at all possible, being as how each thing has a very particular reason for existing. Surgery can often remove everything but the root cause, it seems, and I had some digging to do, along with a whole lot of unlearning and re-learning.

I still suffer and still screw things up royally, but I don't kick my own a** over it like I used to. Self-care and wellness are my new f/t job. My fork and my breath are my new most powerful treatment tools. I also use many other complementary methods, but those two are at the heart of my functional foundation, it seems. Not having to work f/t outside of the home any longer and having a strong support system via my husband and some local healing practitioners helps tremendously, too.

The only way I found out all of the above stuff works so well is by totally breaking down and becoming almost fully bed ridden while trying to hold up the heavy masks of being a f/t employee while trying to hold my employer accountable for unethical happenings, trying to balance being a p/t college student, a f/t stepmom to two very active teens, and an active community volunteer, all rolled into one, after being improperly diagnosed and made worse via multiple medication trials and such. Not to mention being mis-fed and misled the rest of my life. A long strange trip, indeed. Cheers!

Lunacie
08-02-17, 12:40 PM
There have been studies that suggest that Omega 3 fish oil supplements help
some people/kids with adhd. I began taking it over a decade ago for hormonal
symptoms and was delighted that my brain fog was mostly gone and my focus
and concentration were improved.

This was about the same time I was learning about adhd, as a friend had said
that my granddaughter might have it. So do I! So I began checking out this
forum and reading studies on other treatment options as I was sans health
insurance at that time.

After a few months I ran out of Omega 3 and didn't buy another bottle right
away, and a few days later realized I was just as foggy and unfocused as ever.
I was out driving with the grandbabies and realized I was lost in a part of town
I knew fairly well. I got myself situated and stopped at the nearest Walmart to
buy another bottle. :D

aeon
08-02-17, 12:52 PM
The only non-med things that have ever had any positive effects are extreme exercise, caffeine, nicotine, cannabinoids, light-to-moderate sleep deprivation, minor self-injury, and sex.

And none of them could even hold a candle to the power, the glory, the beauty, that is dextroamphetamine sulfate.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-02-17, 12:55 PM
:goodpost: yep, it is what it is.

sarahsweets
08-03-17, 04:18 AM
IMO sleep is in the must have top 3 things in order for meds to work category.