View Full Version : [CANADA] Question with switching meds

hoyyya
08-02-17, 05:39 PM
Hey y'all, new poster here. I have been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 21. For the last 6 months i have been trying to get my medication sorted out. I started with 30mg vyvanse once daily. I found that it was not quite enough and after two months, increased dosage to 40mg daily. This was quite good, but I mentioned a few minor side effects to my physician, which prompted him to give me Concerta 27mg once daily.

I tried taking the 27mg once daily for 4-5 days and it did not help in the slightest. I consequently tried taking 1.5 pills for a day, and 2 pills for a few days, even 3 pills a couple times to no avail. The only thing it does is cause anxiety and racing thoughts at doses above 40mg, with no observed benefit. I am discontinuing today, and plan to switch back to vyvanse. my question is this:

If i go back to my doc after only a week of taking the concerta, will they be able to switch my meds back? I know that taking more than suggested is not suggested (read: illegal), but will they check this? I'm assuming that i would just bring the remainder of the concerta to the pharmacy for disposal, but I'm worried that they might question me as to why there are extra missing.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance for the help.

sarahsweets
08-03-17, 04:06 AM
Well I dont know if they check how many pills are left or not. My doc doesnt have a requirement of pills being returned but during a period when I was switching brands and dosages a lot she asked that I return them to her for her lab service to dispose of. She peeked in the bottles but didnt count them or anything. I value her ability to be able t write me scripts for CII medication so I didnt mind, And I get why, many people could just come back and say something didnt work, get a new script and her prescribing habits could be looked at if theu appear abnormal I guess.
You can try to talk to your doc about it but if your doc doesnt require you to turn it in, you can just take it to a safe drop or get one of those disposal kits and move on.