View Full Version : Guys: Are you an alpha male ?

userguide
08-03-17, 09:21 PM
No, I don't wear fedora ;)

If you don't know, then choose NO

psychopathetic
08-04-17, 06:57 AM
I'm not. Never have been. Very much so prefer to follow than to lead.

I do wear a fedora hat though :p. I don't give 1 bit of a care that I probably look like a complete dork in it lol...I like it and that's that. :D

daveddd
08-04-17, 07:04 AM
I switch often like my moods

I can very much take control at work or in situations at times. Then other times become a church �� mouse

eclectic beagle
08-04-17, 11:45 AM
I don't respond well to attempts at being controlled. I don't care about trying to control most people. The exceptions are people that I'm close to who I see as doing things that are self-destructive.

Emre22
08-04-17, 12:54 PM
When i look at my life, i dont think that i can be called alpha-male
I try so hard, i spent a lot of effort.I am doing more than i am supposed to be.

But being alpha male is completely different thing, if you arent man of success, i dont think that you cant be call alpha-male

I am just doing good, working hard. But i am not at the top at everything

aeon
08-04-17, 01:31 PM
Alpha male?

No, I’m the Omega Man.

Lulz,
Ian

Abi
08-04-17, 07:57 PM
What on earth is an "Alpha male" supposed to be, anyway?

userguide
08-04-17, 08:22 PM

Good question.

I can't describe it well, but I know when I see one.
;)

I thougth it's you Abi who chose YES :)

psychopathetic
08-05-17, 01:33 AM

The leader of the pack? The guy who in most/all(?) group situations just naturally starts taking charge. Loud, in control, not a hint of shyness.
He's definitely comfortable being the center of attention.
They're typically guys well respected by others (both males and females)...the real good ones make everyone feel better about themselves. People find they naturally strive to impress the alpha male and to 'do right by him'.

In a nutshell...alpha males are the strong leaders of groups.

Not all leaders are alpha males though. Only those leaders that make it seem so effortless...who are so confident and natural at delegating tasks and giving out orders.

Hermus
08-05-17, 02:29 AM

That's a term from the pick-up artist scene. Those people who mess insecure guys up by teaching them how to harass women in the streets, instead of teaching them social skills and how to be more kind to themselves. Originally stemming from biology as a term to describe hierarchy in the animal kingdom.

I don't identify as alpha male. I identify as being my own unique self and being happy with that.

userguide
08-05-17, 08:25 AM
The leader of the pack? The guy who in most/all(?) group situations just naturally starts taking charge. Loud, in control, not a hint of shyness.
He's definitely comfortable being the center of attention.
They're typically guys well respected by others (both males and females)...the real good ones make everyone feel better about themselves. People find they naturally strive to impress the alpha male and to 'do right by him'.

In a nutshell...alpha males are the strong leaders of groups.

Not all leaders are alpha males though. Only those leaders that make it seem so effortless...who are so confident and natural at delegating tasks and giving out orders.

Good point, I actually forgot that (bolded part) but when I think of my school days - that was very true.

That's a term from the pick-up artist scene. Those people who mess insecure guys up by teaching them how to harass women in the streets, instead of teaching them social skills and how to be more kind to themselves. Originally stemming from biology as a term to describe hierarchy in the animal kingdom.

I don't identify as alpha male. I identify as being my own unique self and being happy with that.

I always wondered if it really works. What if this is an effective coaching technique for insecure guys and it does work ?

Are there any studies ?

I read a piece about a guy who claimed to have become a millionaire by "messing" with guys this way. If the stuff works, his alpha theory is true. If he was cheating them, wasn't he a self-fulfilling alpha :confused:

psychopathetic
08-05-17, 11:31 AM
Yesterday when I thought of the question "what is an alpha male?" as applied to humans...the first thing that popped into my mind was the chief of police I was lucky enough to have as a professor in college. Now if ever there was a natural born leader in this world! He was big (physically), loud, always seemed in complete control, was HIGHLY intelligent...and I personally felt a pretty strong desire to earn his approval. I worked damned hard in his classes trying to keep him impressed...and I suspect most people in those classes were the same. He commanded respect, but also doled it out to those who earned it.
And he was so in charge!

He...is an alpha male in my mind. He's the leader of the pack. The Alpha Wolf.

But he's such a nice and peaceful example!

Thinking more of it a bit this morning, I think alpha males can be very brutal and negative people as well. There's tons of them throughout history. Lots of alpha males (at least in the way I define them to my own self) will abuse their positions and power to persuade others to do some pretty horrific things.

Here's a question for you guys (and gals)...
What would you call a woman who fits what I consider an 'alpha male'?

psychopathetic
08-05-17, 11:45 AM
Also...I could be very wrong about my definition I'm giving. I'm just throwing out my own ideas on what personally comes to my own mind when thinking about "What is an alpha male?".

I think in truth it's a far deeper question that I'm trying to over simplify...but then again, it's not something I feel a great need to over think either haha :p.

sarahsweets
08-06-17, 07:39 AM
I am so alpha that I melt diamonds with my manliness.

Abi
08-28-17, 05:26 PM
that's a term from the pick-up artist scene. Those people who mess insecure guys up by teaching them how to harass women in the streets, instead of teaching them social skills and how to be more kind to themselves. Originally stemming from biology as a term to describe hierarchy in the animal kingdom.

^^^ this

Greyhound1
08-28-17, 06:16 PM
I am an Alpha male only with myself. I am the furthest thing from a follower and prefer to blaze my own path whether it's right or wrong. I am not much of a leader with others.

I'm only in charge and a leader of one, myself.

10-25-17, 05:05 PM
If I don't know I guess the answer is "no". Too bad...

Bacon & Eggs
10-30-17, 05:33 PM
Nope, I have little time for keeping up some sort of ego driven p***ing contest lol

Bacon & Eggs
10-30-17, 06:04 PM
I am so alpha that I melt diamonds with my manliness.

Wait your a dude? 😮 lol

Fraser_0762
10-30-17, 06:09 PM
I'm an alpha male..... in front of the bathroom mirror.

Unfortunately, women aren't bathroom mirrors.

Fuzzy12
10-30-17, 06:55 PM
I'm an alpha male..... in front of the bathroom mirror.

Unfortunately, women aren't bathroom mirrors.

Women are a lot less judgmental and critical than bathroom.mirrors!!

I doubt I'd be an alpha male even if I was male.

Little Missy
10-30-17, 06:59 PM
Women are a lot less judgmental and critical than bathroom.mirrors!!

I doubt I'd be an alpha male even if I was male.

I LOVE guys that dance in front of the mirror.

Fraser_0762
10-30-17, 07:02 PM
I LOVE guys that dance in front of the mirror.

Yeah, well.... you haven't seen me dance in front of a mirror. :D

Little Missy
10-31-17, 09:19 AM
Yeah, well.... you haven't seen me dance in front of a mirror. :D

Even the most taciturn can let loose and dance for the mirror.

aeon
10-31-17, 09:52 AM
I don’t even need a mirror! :D

Cheers,
Ian

WhiteOwl
10-31-17, 10:33 AM
When I think of Alpha Male, I think of guys that are kind of hot-headed, full of themselves, argumentative, etc. It's hard to really describe these types of guys, but I can't stand them and we have a lot of guys like that where I live, unfortunately. I may have the wrong idea of what an Alpha Male is, but that's what I think of.

Fraser_0762
10-31-17, 10:44 AM
When I think of Alpha Male, I think of guys that are kind of hot-headed, full of themselves, argumentative, etc. It's hard to really describe these types of guys, but I can't stand them and we have a lot of guys like that where I live, unfortunately. I may have the wrong idea of what an Alpha Male is, but that's what I think of.

Every woman i've came across says the exact same thing. :)

While actively dismissing guys that are any different.

WhiteOwl
10-31-17, 11:02 AM
Every woman i've came across says the exact same thing. :)

While actively dismissing guys that are any different.

I know what you mean, a lot of women go for that type, for some reason. Most of the ones I know of that are like this, have wives and I feel bad for them because I feel like they must be abusive or something. I never dismissed guys who were different than that, I refuse to even talk to these abrasive guys.

aeon
10-31-17, 03:18 PM
If there is such a thing as an alpha male, I donít think it would be defined by adherence to gender-based cultural roles and norms.

But a man who is his own person, knows himself, accepts himself and others as they are, where they are...a man who cultivates happiness in himself and in others...he celebrates successes, both his own and those of others...he is loving, kind, and compassionate, because he realizes that each and every is involved in a heroic struggle, and that he is not separate from the world, and those around him...he acknowledges the interdependence of all living things, such that his deepest value is relationships...he is emotionally open to both his own experience as well as receiving another without judgement...he knows how to listen as an active skill, and uses it regularly...he recognizes that he will misstep, and sometimes trespass, owing to his own limits of awareness...but he owns those things, apologizes when he gives reason to feel hurt to others, and when he is able, make amends. He is patient, and he is humble...he is neither self-deprecating nor proud...he remains open to that which is new, such that he may learn, or change to better live the life he chooses. In this way, he will always be a student...and at times, when he shares of himself, he may be a teacher. He always does the best he can, given the limits of his resources and situation, just like everyone else. He knows what he needs, and he accepts his responsibility in meeting those needs. He is a reasonable man, because he knows it is the surest path to equanimity.

Thatís how I think about what alpha means.

And now, if you havenít done so already, reread what I wrote and replace he and his with she and hers...because it is just as applicable.

It has nothing to do with sex, or gender, but it has everything to do with what it is to be human and to live a human life.

Blessťd Be,
Ian

WhiteOwl
10-31-17, 03:53 PM
If there is such a thing as an alpha male, I donít think it would be defined by adherence to gender-based cultural roles and norms.

But a man who is his own person, knows himself, accepts himself and others as they are, where they are...a man who cultivates happiness in himself and in others...he celebrates successes, both his own and those of others...he is loving, kind, and compassionate, because he realizes that each and every is involved in a heroic struggle, and that he is not separate from the world, and those around him...he acknowledges the interdependence of all living things, such that his deepest value is relationships...he is emotionally open to both his own experience as well as receiving another without judgement...he knows how to listen as an active skill, and uses it regularly...he recognizes that he will misstep, and sometimes trespass, owing to his own limits of awareness...but he owns those things, apologizes when he gives reason to feel hurt to others, and when he is able, make amends. He is patient, and he is humble...he is neither self-deprecating nor proud...he remains open to that which is new, such that he may learn, or change to better live the life he chooses. In this way, he will always be a student...and at times, when he shares of himself, he may be a teacher. He always does the best he can, given the limits of his resources and situation, just like everyone else. He knows what he needs, and he accepts his responsibility in meeting those needs. He is a reasonable man, because he knows it is the surest path to equanimity.

Thatís how I think about what alpha means.

And now, if you havenít done so already, reread what I wrote and replace he and his with she and hers...because it is just as applicable.

It has nothing to do with sex, or gender, but it has everything to do with what it is to be human and to live a human life.

Blessťd Be,
Ian

I like your definition much better than mine. I love hearing your perspective in things! Although, I wonder if a person with ADHD and comorbid disorders can live up to your definition of Alpha male/female? ;)

Fraser_0762
10-31-17, 04:39 PM
I'm the very definition of an alpha fail.

Fuzzy12
10-31-17, 05:04 PM

I dont know. I really like you. I think at some point you'll find your feet. At least I hope you will. I think treatment would make a big diffetence. You are so bright, you just need a bit of help...like all of us.

aeon
10-31-17, 05:58 PM
I like your definition much better than mine. I love hearing your perspective in things! Although, I wonder if a person with ADHD and comorbid disorders can live up to your definition of Alpha male/female? ;)

Thanks.

Iím not sure anyone could, and if they did, I suppose I might say they were enlightened.

But no matter...we are all works in progress.

Ideals are there to inspire us, not to serve as a standard by which we are judged and deemed lacking.

Cheers,
Ian

WhiteOwl
10-31-17, 06:27 PM

You certainly don't fail at being a likeable person and you're pretty skilled at sarcasm. Those are two very important things in life.

Greyhound1
10-31-17, 07:18 PM
I found this article which mentions some alpha male characteristics we've not discussed. Anyone agree or disagree with any of them?

The title ****** me off, though "Characteristics of a real man".:rolleyes:

25 Characteristics of an Alpha Male
November 1, 2012 By Chad Howse

Characteristics of a Real Man

The Alpha Male, the real man, a manís man, a warrior, a stand-up guy. It doesnít matter what you call him, heís a leader, the guy others look to for motivation, inspiration, and often with a hint of jealousy. Heís the man women want, without inention the center of attention.

Heís the guy, the man.

Hereís 25 characteristics that make a man the alpha.

1. The alpha male is persistent. Thereís no quit in this man. Heís the tortose not the hare. Heís the last man standing.

2. The alpha male can defend himself and his family. He can handle himself with his fists, to put it another way.

3. The alpha male is in peak physical shape. Heís strong and athletic as well as aesthetically pleasing to the opposite sex.

4. The alpha male is courageous. He doesnít lack fear, rather, he accepts that it exists and faces it at every opportunity.

5. The alpha male can entertain. He has a sense of humor and can have a group of people hanging on his every word Ė heís a good story teller.

6. The alpha male has stories to tell. Heís lived Ė and is living Ė a unique life. Heís made mistakes, but heís able to find humor in them. Heís had adventures that everyone wants to hear about.

7. The alpha male can laugh at himself. This is an over-looked characteristic of an alpha male, but a necessary one. You canít make fun of the alpha male because heíll join in, no one can make fun of him better than he can.

8. The alpha male is humble. Some of this comes from his ability to laugh at himself. No matter what he accomplishes, his head will never balloon, and if it does, he has the ware-with-all to come back down to earth before it gets out of hand.

9. The alpha male is learned, educated. A degree isnít a prerequisite, but a thirst for knowledge is. He wants to learn, and he does. This helps him relate to people from every social and economic standing. He can converse intelligently with the business man and the preacher. The history buff and the sports nut.

10. The alpha male is a manís man. Heís a hard guy not to like or want to have a beer with. Heís tough, often quiet, composed, but can joke and shoot the **** with anyone.

11. The alpha male knows the value of every word, he doesnít talk simply to hear the sound of his own voice. His words are chosen carefully. He respects their power. Whether heís writing or speaking, he doesnít speak to be hear, he speaks when he has something of value to say. Heís never the loudest one in the room.

12. The alpha male has a purpose. This may be his most defining trait. Where many wander through life trying to find their Self, the alpha male is too busy creating his Self. Every day he does something to bring himself closer to his goal. He isnít a wanderer, heís going places; itís so obvious that everyone around him can see it.

13. The alpha male is a hard worker. He knows that nothing great is accomplished without hard work and a definite purpose.

14. The alpha male is a warrior not a worrier. He understands that cetain things arenít under his control. He does everything he can to control what hecan, but doesnít worry about what he canít. Heís not worried about tomorrow, heís too busy working for today.

15. The alpha male doesnít pick a fight, but he ends it if heís in one. He isnít a bully. He isnít an emotional wreck that looks for a fight at every corner. But, if the logical thing to do is to fight because the situation calls for it, he will. Heíll also never hit a man when heís down. He isnít fighting to destroy, but to defend.

16. The alpha male has style. He takes pride in how he looks and people respect him for that. He also knows how to dress like a man. Youíd never call the alpha male a metrosexual.

17. The alpha male knows who he is, his values govern his life. He doesnít stray from these values, in fact he stands up for them. Even when he stands alone in what he believes is right, he digs his heels in and fights.

18. The alpha male knows how to treat a lady. He respects women, often because heís had some great oneís in his life. Heís chivalrous.
He helps his lady at every chance. He helps her reach her dreams, all-the-while moving closer to attaining his own.

19. The alpha male isnít a sucker. He isnít a clinger. He doesnít go out of his way to please everyone because thatís a futile endeavor. He wonít let a woman run his life. Heís his own man. Though he worships the ground his lady walks on, he knows how to pick íem. He wonít be with a control-freak or a jealous woman. He has the social intelligence to see that storm before it peeks itís nasty little head.

20. The alpha male is a man of value. ďTry not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.Ē Einstein knew that success is reached if youíre valuable to others. The alpha male is a man of value and values. He makes the lives of others better by being a part of them.

21. The alpha male helps others, heís generous. He has his purpose, but he knows that life isnít merely about accomplishments, but about leaving a legacy. That legacy is how he made others feel, and how he helps others accomplish their dreams.

22. The alpha male is a leader who leads by example. He doesnít tell people how to live, but lives in the manner he sees as best to live.

23. Alpha males throughout history, Achilles, William Wallace, and Napoleon, saw opportunity where others saw failure. The alpha male will fail, but he wonít see failure as the end. Heís sees it as a necessary part of the experience, a stepping-stone. Knowing this allows him to try things others wonít, and to work harder when others usually quit.

24. The alpha male is stubborn. When he starts something heís passionate about, no one can stop him or pull back on the reigns. Heís in it until the end. Heís also open-minded and willing to listen to other points of view. He knows heís flawed and stubborn, so he gives way and learns from people who are better than him.

25. The alpha male doesnít try to be an alpha male. Thatís where so many fail. He is interested in life, in living. Heís fascinated by the world around him, in becoming the best man he can possibly become. He genuinely cares about people. He passionately works hard. Heís excited by life, by the opportunity that each day presents. Heís genuine in every facet of who he is. Each of the characteristics are possessed by him naturally, or will be as he grows as a man. Bred from curiosity, a genuine kindness, and a warriorís heart, he is who he is, and all others follow him wherever he will lead them.

Fraser_0762
10-31-17, 07:39 PM
You certainly don't fail at being a likeable person and you're pretty skilled at sarcasm. Those are two very important things in life.

Skilled?.... It's entirely a̶c̶c̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶a̶l̶ natural.