View Full Version : Dex lasting shorter, any advice?

Question
08-06-17, 10:00 PM
I take 10mg doses of dexamphetamine, and it used to last about 4 hours. Now, it seems to last closer to 3. At about the three hour mark, I will usually start feeling sleepy, out of it and unable to focus.

Has anyone else had this happen to them before, where dex started working less often for no clear reason? I cant think of anything obvious that would do it. Even on days where i feel great, it seems to last shorter.

someothertime
08-07-17, 03:25 AM
First thing; A clearer picture can be made if your experience is consistent ... ( majority of weekly days for over three weeks.... or there abouts ). Assuming that's so.... I think you would have been on this dose for say...... 5-7 months? Described above is a fairly generic response..... Deviations and fluctuations point more toward external contributors.... and these factors are a tad harder to decipher....

The following is NOT absolute, but my theory.... is;
-exclude recent regular acidy foods coming into your diet
-make the choice to raise dose.... suggest asking doc for 5more only on morning dose then proceeding to 5 in afternoon too if needed after a week or more.....
and/or
-make the choice to get proactive about your neurochemistry...... which for 4 out of 5 or more people it comes down to sooner or later...... now the ONLY thing I have found that is directly related and feasable albeit a COMPROMISE is
--------excercise
--------periods off meds..... medium / long term ones will have more benefit than short.... it's personal but at the end of the day these abstinences are difficult.... but IMHO the safest practical way to "detox" or restore neurochemistry...... therefore efficacy of medication.
Another alternative down the line is changing to another med..... for periods of several months...... or permanently if they work for you....... then changing back..... with or without medfree times in between....

Another alternative to try with your doctor perhaps are more phased daily dosage schedules, this is not so accepted widely, but for a vast minority they achieve a happier medium this way.
Sadly in Australia our options with other meds are more limited than in some other parts of the world.

So many people talk about "tolerance" ( not you ), what i'm arguing is that "brain chemistry exhaustion" is what is often the cause of longer term in-efficacy....

sarahsweets
08-07-17, 04:27 AM
If its dex ir I dont think thats crazy. Those type of medications are meant to last about 4 hours, so three isnt too bad. I know for me, ir medications barely lasted 3 so I switched to a longer lasting one. When I took dex, I took spansules, but I had to take them like you would an ir medication because I have absorption issues.

Question
08-07-17, 11:39 PM
First thing; A clearer picture can be made if your experience is consistent ... ( majority of weekly days for over three weeks.... or there abouts ). Assuming that's so.... I think you would have been on this dose for say...... 5-7 months? Described above is a fairly generic response..... Deviations and fluctuations point more toward external contributors.... and these factors are a tad harder to decipher....

The following is NOT absolute, but my theory.... is; -exclude recent regular acidy foods coming into your diet
-make the choice to raise dose.... suggest asking doc for 5more only on morning dose then proceeding to 5 in afternoon too if needed after a week or more.....
and/or -make the choice to get proactive about your neurochemistry...... which for 4 out of 5 or more people it comes down to sooner or later...... now the ONLY thing I have found that is directly related and feasable albeit a COMPROMISE is
--------excercise
--------periods off meds..... medium / long term ones will have more benefit than short.... it's personal but at the end of the day these abstinences are difficult.... but IMHO the safest practical way to "detox" or restore neurochemistry...... therefore efficacy of medication.
Another alternative down the line is changing to another med..... for periods of several months...... or permanently if they work for you....... then changing back..... with or without medfree times in between....

Another alternative to try with your doctor perhaps are more phased daily dosage schedules, this is not so accepted widely, but for a vast minority they achieve a happier medium this way.
Sadly in Australia our options with other meds are more limited than in some other parts of the world.

So many people talk about "tolerance" ( not you ), what i'm arguing is that "brain chemistry exhaustion" is what is often the cause of longer term in-efficacy....

Ive been on the same dose for several years actually (20-30 mg a day). I was under the impression that 30mg is the limit before your doctor has to get special approval for it.

Not sure what you mean by acidy foods? I usually eat really simple stuff. Does it make a difference in your experience?

In your experience do "days off" really make a difference? Most of the posts ive seen basically say that you shouldnt build tolerance unless you abuse it.

Ive tried Ritalin twice...the second time was a disaster, i feel great for the first two hours and then it crashes really hard.

What do you mean by brain chemistry exhaustion exactly and how do you describe it? Is it a feeling?

Question
08-07-17, 11:40 PM
If its dex ir I dont think thats crazy. Those type of medications are meant to last about 4 hours, so three isnt too bad. I know for me, ir medications barely lasted 3 so I switched to a longer lasting one. When I took dex, I took spansules, but I had to take them like you would an ir medication because I have absorption issues.

Still, having a 12 hour period cut down to 9 hours or so is a lot less "effective time".

someothertime
08-08-17, 05:34 AM
Ive been on the same dose for several years actually (20-30 mg a day)

That's good.... very healthy to receive consistent response over such a long period.... says your body is healthy / amicable.

I was under the impression that 30mg is the limit before your doctor has to get special approval for it.

Yup, sounds right.

Not sure what you mean by acidy foods? I usually eat really simple stuff. Does it make a difference in your experience?

Sure does.... although it's more of a spikey / daily response thing.... in your case I was raising the legitimate possibility that a consistent new intake was lowering aborbtion consistently (i.e. you started drinking orange juice with morning tea at work )

In your experience do "days off" really make a difference? Most of the posts ive seen basically say that you shouldnt build tolerance unless you abuse it.

It's a very, very personal thing. I personally don't do it ( Doctor advises me to take it EVERY day ).... and it shakes up my response for days..... BUT if I need to be on this med for long term.... AND I start losing effectiveness or overly getting bouts ( from 20mins to a few hours ) of *sleepy/groogy/moody* feelings when it's wearing off or absent.... Then having flat medless weekends would be something high on my list to help with balancing response when it counts. If that's a problem..... something like 3 months off / 12 months on would be closer in my mind to the kind of systems stabilisation i'm talking about. I have experience of this, and while it felt like total carp, some months off then returning to meds has helped ALOT. FWIW exercise is a much better and effective way to counter. Although, I think ultimately it cannot resolve all long term issues... at least in my and many others IMO.

Ive tried Ritalin twice...the second time was a disaster, i feel great for the first two hours and then it crashes really hard.

What do you mean by brain chemistry exhaustion exactly and how do you describe it? Is it a feeling?

It's a pet theory / description of mine, so it doesn't apply across the board and it's very loose and inaccurate specifically with the underlying brain chemistry evolution. ( i.e. what's temporary, what's permanent, what's bodily fluctuation, what external compound pressure )

Personally;

-increased anxiety
-brief bouts of fogginess
-lowered response to medication
-irritability

someothertime
08-08-17, 05:41 AM
Still, having a 12 hour period cut down to 9 hours or so is a lot less "effective time".

It should be 8 hours. Two doses of 10mg I thought from your original post.

I think you just nailed the root issue.... while a dose increase still might be required...... giving your body time to exhaust the meds in your system and restabilise is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!

What exactly is the timeline for your doses over the last few years.... are you talking about 10x3 when you mention 12 hours???

Question
08-09-17, 07:34 AM
Depending on my schedule, i take either 2 doses of 10 mg, or 3 doses of 10mg a day. Thats what i meant by a 12 hour coverage.

Ive read about the orange juice thing and im confused by it. Is it just orange juice for some reason, or any acidy foods? Has any scientific research been done by this? When i brought up the issue of extended release dex not working well for me, my doctor didnt bring up orange juice at all, only whether i was gluten intolerant (which im not, as far as i know anyway, never gotten any symptons just from eating bread).