View Full Version : Adderall dosage

Amberg330
08-07-17, 09:16 PM
Ok, quick question. I was diagnosed at 28... everything made sense. I was prescribed 20mg a day to take... doctor said I could either half the dose and take a ten two times a day or take the whole 20 once a day. I decided to start off taking a fourth of the 20... because I had never taken anything like this before and was unsure how it would effect me. I took the 5mg twice a day for about 3-4 days and saw little improvement but not much. No other side effects. I then decided to start taking it three times a day(all while staying at the 20mg prescribed or lower) I kind of felt like when the first quarter wore off I was really sleepy and the busiest time of my day was 1-3. So, I decided to take a quarter at 9, a HALF at one, and another quarter at 5. still little improvement and no side effects. So, then I went to taking half twice a day, but they only last me 4 hours so I was covered 10-2 and 2-6 which seems right for me however, the ten still not much. So one day I decided to take the whole 20... that is when I saw improvement. But once again only lasts 4 hours. I go back to my dr on the 22!d this will be my first time seeing him since I have been diagnosed and given this medication. Is it too much to tell him that I tried the ten twice a day and I didn't get any results, so then I did the 20 once a day and got great results but it only lasted 4 hours maybe incinuating that I need a second dose of 20mg a day. A 20 around 10 and another around 2 would be perfect for me I feel like... so maybe he could up my dose to 4o and I could break them in half?

I just don't wanna sound like I'm after more medicine when I feel like this is what works for me. But I've seen where people say it's trial and error... and you have to lower/increase dosages for a little while until you get the right one? I just don't want him to be like "ok no more adderall for you since you already asking for an increase 30 days after I gave you your first script"

Because this is the medicine I want to take. I do not want to try anything else. I don't want to do the XR either because I don't have insurance and it's too expensive ... thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

Swissy
08-08-17, 11:43 AM
I would recommend making a log of your experiments and show your doctor. He will see that you are trying to find your right dose, it is clear you are not trying to get more dosage, just trying to find what works best. Simply list what you took each day and log the results, it will work out for you.

wonderboy
08-09-17, 06:21 PM
It is a trial by error proposition. The maximum recommended dosage 90 milligrams per day for IR

sarahsweets
08-11-17, 07:35 AM
I thought the max does of any adderall was 40mg for adhd and 60 for narcolepsy? Not that I believe in those maximums because most studies were on children and do not reflect actual efficacy.

Snoopy10
08-11-17, 09:23 AM
I take 10mg Adderall IR 3x per day, 1 when I get up, 1 around 10am and 1 at 2pm (approx) sometimes I take 5mg instead of 10 depending on the day. When I started taking Adderall I was the same as Amberg- trial and error and afraid of taking too much. It's just a process to find out what's right for you.

Amberg330
08-11-17, 01:21 PM
The max do dose 40mg?! Well I definitely do not want to go in there asking for tha max dose!!! Which is what I need unfortunately. I thought it was much higher

CharlesH
08-11-17, 11:16 PM
I thought the max does of any adderall was 40mg for adhd and 60 for narcolepsy? Not that I believe in those maximums because most studies were on children and do not reflect actual efficacy.

According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS): "The therapeutic dosing recommendations for stimulant and related medications are based on U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved product labeling. Nevertheless, the dosing regimen is adjusted according to a patient’s individual response to pharmacotherapy."

Yes, those figures that you cited (40mg for ADHD and 60mg for narcolepsy) are indeed accurate for FDA adult guidelines, according to a stimulant dosage chart from CMS. However, as the CMS's above statement explains, it's just a recommendation, not a legal limit. And I think your assessment is accurate that those figures are based off of data from clinical trials of children, and that they might not be as relevant for adults. FWIW, my psychiatrist told me that a typical adult ADHD dosage goes up to 60 mg/day.

wonderboy
08-11-17, 11:18 PM
just confirming CharlesH's post...

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare-Medicaid-Coordination/Fraud-Prevention/Medicaid-Integrity-Education/Pharmacy-Education-Materials/Downloads/stim-adult-dosingchart11-14.pdf

wonderboy
08-11-17, 11:41 PM
Ok, quick question. I was diagnosed at 28... everything made sense. I was prescribed 20mg a day to take... doctor said I could either half the dose and take a ten two times a day or take the whole 20 once a day. I decided to start off taking a fourth of the 20... because I had never taken anything like this before and was unsure how it would effect me. I took the 5mg twice a day for about 3-4 days and saw little improvement but not much. No other side effects. I then decided to start taking it three times a day(all while staying at the 20mg prescribed or lower) I kind of felt like when the first quarter wore off I was really sleepy and the busiest time of my day was 1-3. So, I decided to take a quarter at 9, a HALF at one, and another quarter at 5. still little improvement and no side effects. So, then I went to taking half twice a day, but they only last me 4 hours so I was covered 10-2 and 2-6 which seems right for me however, the ten still not much. So one day I decided to take the whole 20... that is when I saw improvement. But once again only lasts 4 hours. I go back to my dr on the 22!d this will be my first time seeing him since I have been diagnosed and given this medication. Is it too much to tell him that I tried the ten twice a day and I didn't get any results, so then I did the 20 once a day and got great results but it only lasted 4 hours maybe incinuating that I need a second dose of 20mg a day. A 20 around 10 and another around 2 would be perfect for me I feel like... so maybe he could up my dose to 4o and I could break them in half?

I just don't wanna sound like I'm after more medicine when I feel like this is what works for me. But I've seen where people say it's trial and error... and you have to lower/increase dosages for a little while until you get the right one? I just don't want him to be like "ok no more adderall for you since you already asking for an increase 30 days after I gave you your first script"

Because this is the medicine I want to take. I do not want to try anything else. I don't want to do the XR either because I don't have insurance and it's too expensive ... thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

I do not think it was appropriate for your doctor to simply say that you should take 20 mg --once daily---. That makes no sense to me at all, because the half life requires at least two times daily or three times daily.

I would highly recommend seeking another professional to reevaluate your entire case and dosage

sarahsweets
08-12-17, 05:17 AM
According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS): "The therapeutic dosing recommendations for stimulant and related medications are based on U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved product labeling. Nevertheless, the dosing regimen is adjusted according to a patientís individual response to pharmacotherapy."

Yes, those figures that you cited (40mg for ADHD and 60mg for narcolepsy) are indeed accurate for FDA adult guidelines, according to a stimulant dosage chart from CMS. However, as the CMS's above statement explains, it's just a recommendation, not a legal limit. And I think your assessment is accurate that those figures are based off of data from clinical trials of children, and that they might not be as relevant for adults. FWIW, my psychiatrist told me that a typical adult ADHD dosage goes up to 60 mg/day.

Currently I take 75 mg a day. I think the confusion has to do with what is considered daily recommended vs max allowed for safety. recommended is just that- what the fda says should be enough, not what is actually going to work for people. People see recommended max and start thinking that beyond 60mg is dangerous when its not.

ms ladybug
08-21-17, 11:34 AM
I was told the max dosage was based on weight. 1mg per kg per day.

Amberg330
08-22-17, 09:39 PM
Well... update. Everything went great, I explained the 20mg was working for me and highly effective but it was only lasting 4 hours tops... and with my 8 hour work day that wasn't cutting it. So he prescribed me 60 20mg for the month, so now I can take 20 mg twice a day. Def wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be

sarahsweets
08-23-17, 02:30 AM
I was told the max dosage was based on weight. 1mg per kg per day.

No, adhd medications are not based on weight.