View Full Version : Dex : Does it work better with or without food?

Question
08-09-17, 07:41 AM
Referring to instant release dex.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25061

Some posts in that thread suggest that dex works better on an empty stomach due to the stomach acid affecting the medicine, ive also seen similar posts elsewhere.

Is this backed up by scientific research? I find it strange that when I discussed this with my doctor, he actually said that dex works better WITH food. If there was actual research showing the opposite...that wouldn't make sense.

Off the top of my head, i think websites like webmd also advise you to take it with food.

Personally, i definately feel that it works better when i take it on an empty stomach, the problem is of course, that if you take it on an empty stomach, you lose appetite. So I typically take my first dose with a meal, but I do feel that my first dose is less effective than my second.

But if i take my first dose on an empty stomach, I can't eat properly, so that's problematic too.

How does it work for you?

emperorpenguin
08-10-17, 05:59 PM
Acidic foods and beverages will reduce the effective dose and duration; you’ll absorb less of it and excrete it faster. Alkaline things have the opposite effect.

I personally prefer to take it with food; I feel it buffers the initial ‘spike’ and results on a more therapeutic, gradual onset. If I take dex and drink coffee without food, I tend to feel a bit overstimulated and crash later.

You can eat either just before or just after you take your dose, before your appetite is suppressed.

In any case, it’s not advisable to skip breakfast for a variety of health reasons and it won’t help ADHD symptoms either. Eat breakfast :)

sarahsweets
08-11-17, 05:30 AM
I think taking meds with or without food is always the question of the day. I know with meds like vyvanse it helps. I know that I have always had to force myself to eat even if I didnt feel hungry to create a habit. Even if you do not feel like eating you have to eat something. 6 small meals or eating 6 times a day helps me a lot.

Question
09-07-17, 03:02 PM
Well yes, but if i take dex after a meal the effects seem very diminished, which is bad for obvious reasons...even if i dont eat/drink anything acidic.

Does the same happen to anyone else here?

CharlesH
09-12-17, 01:54 AM
I think medicines work better when you're more healthy overall. Your brain needs food to operate, so I think the simplest thing would be to eat and be healthy so that the medicine has the best chance possible to work well. In terms of the dosing, just stick with a consistent meal pattern (i.e. eat good breakfasts every day!), and your doctor can work with you to find an appropriate dose.

Question
10-01-17, 03:40 AM
CharlesH : The question was whether it was better to take dex before or after food.

I have noticed that sometimes when i take dex before food, my stomach seems to get confused and not feel full even after eating a meal later. I will feel ravenous even though i just ate a full meal.

E.G. Take dex an hour before eating, but still feel starving after eating a full meal and eating more doesn't seem to help.

Does this happen to anyone else?

CharlesH
10-03-17, 12:40 PM
My bad. I was just going off of the title.

Your experience seems pretty uncommon, but maybe there's someone on this forum who shares your experience. Stimulants tend to decrease appetite, and I'm not aware of any theory that might explain why or how the opposite effect might occur.

I think the advise that your doctor gave is good, at least for most people. Your brain needs neurotransmitters to operate optimally, and your brain needs nutrients (such as a from a hearty breakfast!) to replenish the neurotransmitters. The kinetics of the absorption of the drug from the stomach into the bloodstream might be affected by food intake, but I don't know if it's a positive or negative effect, either way.

Long story short: you generally should take it with food, but YMMV.