View Full Version : Dissolving adderall XR in water

jsachg
08-11-17, 11:51 PM
I have 10mg adderall XR, but it's way too strong. Is it possible to dissolve it in a water bottle and drink half of it, then drink the other half later?

CharlesH
08-12-17, 01:37 AM
What is your rationale behind this? You'll have difficulty finding medical professionals who would condone this, as XR medication is meant to be taken a certain way. As I understand it, Adderall XR is designed so that half of the beads dissolve right away, and half of them are delayed release beads that only dissolve at certain pH (acidity) levels. My guess is that you'd end up with a water bottle filled with undissolved beads at the bottom, and I don't see how this would offer any clinical benefits, and it'd also be a waste of money.

jsachg
08-12-17, 02:05 AM
Dissolve in water bottle + shake it up and drink half of it, as a way to take half the pill instead of the entire thing at once

I'd rather do that than try to manually eye the beads and divide it in half each time

I guess what I'm asking is if the drug still retains effectiveness while in water throughout the day? Or does water degrade it somehow

namazu
08-12-17, 02:08 AM
The manufacturer specifically states not to do what you're asking about.

You might be better off talking to your doctor about a lower dose. I think Adderall XR comes in a 5mg capsule as well.

ms ladybug
08-21-17, 11:36 AM
You'll never get exactly half that way. Sometimes it could be WAY off too. Ask for a lower dose.

CharlesH
08-22-17, 01:30 AM
Dissolve in water bottle + shake it up and drink half of it, as a way to take half the pill instead of the entire thing at once

I'd rather do that than try to manually eye the beads and divide it in half each time

I guess what I'm asking is if the drug still retains effectiveness while in water throughout the day? Or does water degrade it somehow

To answer your specific question, my very amateur opinion is that the water does not degrade the active chemical. However, I still don't think you do that method (both for legal reasons, and for practical reasons that others here have outlined). Just keep an open line of communication with your prescriber. He/she can give you a lower dose, and sometimes they can add a med (like a beta blocker, or a alpha agonist) to help reduce side effects. Best of luck!

sarahsweets
08-23-17, 03:10 AM
Rather than wasting all the medication and time and effort using water (which is against medication guidelines anyway) just talk with your doctor and get a different dose.