View Full Version : Overwhelmed by Music

Swissy
08-13-17, 08:51 AM
Anyone feel overwhelmed by certain songs, even ones you have no history with? Recently a song triggered something in me, like extreme longing for something I lost and I don't know what it is. There have been times I have had to avoid certain music all together because I can barely handle what it does to me. I can't even pinpoint the exact feelings or emotions... like that word that gets stuck at the tip of your tongue. Almost as if I remember a past life and people I didn't want to leave and I miss it. Which is weird because I don't miss people in this life when we are apart. It puts me in a funk for days. Is this a thing or am I just strange?

Greyhound1
08-13-17, 11:21 AM
Music can also have an overwhelming effect on me. Some music can trigger OCD thoughts, worries and concerns and is very depressing to me.

Other types of music can make me so overly excited or stimulated, I can feel my adrenaline pounding to the beat. It makes me feel so overly confident and I am much more prone to taking risks. Driving is when this usually becomes a problem now.

Little Missy
08-13-17, 11:51 AM
ohh, music. The highest of highs, the lowest of lows. Feeling so full I could burst and feeling there is nothing left.

I LOVE it.

Greyhound1
08-13-17, 11:56 AM
ohh, music. The highest of highs, the lowest of lows. Feeling so full I could burst and feeling there is nothing left.

I LOVE it.

:goodpost: My experience exactly!

Little Missy
08-13-17, 12:13 PM
I don't even care if the lows and the emptiness of nothing left are extreme. I'll take more. Because it is music. It feeds my soul.

Thank God LOL has the XM blasting here all day. LOUD.

Swissy
08-13-17, 01:34 PM
I am with you, music saved my life when I was young (cliche, I know). the highs are definitely worth the lows. But this recent experience was strange in that the song was not tied to any point of my life and had no significance to me. I am still not quite right from my reaction and it has been a couple days. I feel like I was up crying all night (I was not), fatigued, foggy, sort of out of phase with the world. I don't think I like this, not even a little bit.

Little Missy
08-13-17, 04:01 PM
I am with you, music saved my life when I was young (cliche, I know). the highs are definitely worth the lows. But this recent experience was strange in that the song was not tied to any point of my life and had no significance to me. I am still not quite right from my reaction and it has been a couple days. I feel like I was up crying all night (I was not), fatigued, foggy, sort of out of phase with the world. I don't think I like this, not even a little bit.

Could be that it hit a chord deep within you. It happens to me even with no significance, etc. A sort of musically induced fugue of sorts perhaps. I don't really know.

I hope you feel better :)

Swissy
08-15-17, 09:36 AM
I checked with family and this music wasn't played by anyone I was around as a baby. Maybe it's a sort of synesthesia... I paint weird pictures by listening to music and painting the images the sounds evoke.