View Full Version : Active noise cancelling Headphones

hutchie0109
08-15-17, 05:10 PM
In ear or over ear, I've heard good things about them, I need them! My search bar doesn't work

acdc01
08-16-17, 07:10 PM
Are you talking about music noise canceling headphones?

I had briefly bought one of if not the best pair out there. It works great/the best with music but if you want to use them with music turned off, the industrial grade non-musical headphones work better at blocking out sound imho.

aeon
08-17-17, 09:51 AM
A pair of headphones with a proper acoustic seal does all the noise-blocking I require.

I can’t stand how the inverted phase cancellation signal affects the frequency response and soundstage of the listening material...so no noise-blockers for me.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-17-17, 12:45 PM
For me, they just never seem to work right correctly for any reason of using them.

There is even noise when just using them to block noise. Drives me nuts.

Lunacie
08-17-17, 02:36 PM
In ear or over ear, I've heard good things about them, I need them! My search bar doesn't work

Do you have a Sainsburys near you? They have a few models listed. You could
call and ask if they have them in-store for you to check out.

hutchie0109
08-17-17, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I'll try Sainsbury's, people I've spoken with asd recommended Bose, as already mentioned as I'll be walking around I'll need some level of hearing, and noisy environments, tho for indoor use someone else i know with asd also recommended the industrial ones, a therapeutic vacuum effect, got to check that out.

acdc01
08-20-17, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I'll try Sainsbury's, people I've spoken with asd recommended Bose, as already mentioned as I'll be walking around I'll need some level of hearing, and noisy environments, tho for indoor use someone else i know with asd also recommended the industrial ones, a therapeutic vacuum effect, got to check that out.

The best out there right now is the Sony mdr-1000x unless Bose has put out a new one since then. Nearly all headphone reviewers agree though sound is really subjective sometimes so you should try both. Also, it was the best when it came out which wasn't too long ago. Not sure if Bose put out a new one.

Best buy let's you return things if you don't like it.

Aeon recommended to me a set of sony headphones with excellent sound that didn't have active noise canceling but did a decent job blocking out some noise while still letting you hear some of the noise in the background. It was so cheap, you could get both the non music industrial vacuum ones for when you are inside and use his for when you need some ambient sound. And you'd still have money to spare compared to buying quality active noise canceling headphones

Can't remember the name of his headphones though he could tell you if you wanted to try them.

That said, I found his headphones to have amazing clarity but the bass to be weaker cause I believe they are studio headphones that don't like to distort sound. If you like a thumping bass, his headphones aren't right for you imo. Also, the cord was enormous.

I ended up finding my old headphones back so being cheap, I returned all the new headphones I tried out lol.

aeon
08-21-17, 08:30 AM
Sony MDR-7506

And while sound character is subjective, fidelity is not.

For me, fidelity is the criterion with primacy.

Cheers,
Ian

acdc01
08-22-17, 12:41 PM
Sony MDR-7506

And while sound character is subjective, fidelity is not.

For me, fidelity is the criterion with primacy.

Cheers,
Ian

Eh, i realize fidelity isn't as importing to me as a thumping bass lol. Guess I'm not an audiophile.

aeon
08-22-17, 01:47 PM
Eh, i realize fidelity isn't as importing to me as a thumping bass lol. Guess I'm not an audiophile.

Thing is, if the source has bass mojo, fidelity to the source ensures you get the bass intent of the recording.

I would not say I am an audiophile, at least not the kind where I am going to spend $20K on oxygen-free copper cables that have been blessed by a high priest of the inner temple.

That said, from working in audio engineering and mixing and production, fidelity became my ideal, if it wasnít already from my time as a child exploring the radio and television stations at which my father worked.

Recently, I inherited a pair of loudspeakers from my grandfather, may he rest in peace, that are linear to 30Hz. Iíve heard them before, and the low end is something to make me smile like a Cheshire cat. They are -3dB at 20Hz. I hope I donít get carried away and get evicted, or worse yet, cause the building to crumble, lol.

But the sine-wave boom of a Roland TR-808 is like ambrosia, dontcha know. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

MindBlind
09-04-17, 08:07 PM
I recently bought a pair of Bose qc2 headphones and they're okay. They don't completely cancel all noise but they reduce enough of it to help me focus and not feel overwhelmed by too much stimuli. I tend to use them when I'm working at my desktop and they are great at blocking the sound of the fans and any annoying ambient sounds around me. They're also great for public transport.

I bought an older model of the Bose quiet comfort because, frankly, I can't afford anything better. In fact I bought mine from Gumtree for a fraction of the current retail price, so I got lucky. I heard aviation headsets are the best for noise cancellation but I reckon you're not shopping for something quite that high end. I recommend trying some noise cancelling headphones at the shops to see which ones you like best and what fits your budget. I personally think the Bose headphones are the best ones I've used but cheaper ones could still be as good if you look hard enough.

hutchie0109
09-05-17, 02:07 AM
Yes, I read the Bluetooth models are not as good as the previous models, so cheaper is better.

Was surprised to also hear they don't cancel out all noise, so will see if they are adequit.