View Full Version : Getting stuff done with anxiety?

MindBlind
08-16-17, 06:26 AM
One of the most frustrating things about anxiety is how it turns your worries into self fulfilling prophecies. For instance, I'm worried about uni and I have a lot of stuff to get done before the end of the month. All that pressure is triggering anxiety symptoms such as feeling faint, feeling smothered, tightness in my throats and chest, etc. Those symptoms make it harder for me to work on the stuff I need to do, compounding my fears about deadlines which then exacerbates the anxiety even more and the cycle just keeps going.

I'm trying to break that pattern but I'm still having trouble. I take beta blockers and they help a little bit but I want to know what helps other people break that cycle. The biggest barrier is the tension I feel in my chest and throat. Deep breathing is only leading me towards hyperventilating so I need to do something else to quell that feeling.

I am seeing my psych team soon so we can discuss the specifics of treatment and support. Still, anything I can do in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

sarahsweets
08-16-17, 08:00 AM
I can tell you that proper sleep and eating regularly goes a long way towards managing anxiety. Its not something that helps in the short term with panic attacks but it helps over the long term. I take buspar which takes awhile to build up but its helped me be less anxious overall. Then there are always benzos for panic attacks but it you have had addiction issues in the past I dont recommend those.