View Full Version : The risk of losing $500 on ADD test.

putacabra2017
08-16-17, 11:32 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently had a visit with a psychiatrist at a community clinic. I told him about my symptoms and everything and he gave me the impression that he would not prescribe any kind of stimulant, and that these stimulants are highly addictive like meth. I kind of don't blame him considering the people that come in and out of community clinic, but this does not solve my problems. He told me I can go for a second opinion and I get an ADD test from another doctor. He did prescribe me Welbutrin, but I honestly can't tell any difference.

Unfortunately, I have medicaid and the ones that I've asked do not accept medicaid. Now I'm confidant that I have ADD since as a kid, but I never had any hyperactivity when I was a kid. Therefore I was never diagnosed with ADHD. Do you guys think that clinicians will view my case as if I'm some druggie trying to score stimulants? Even if I can get enough money for the exam, there is a risk that the clinician will say I don't qualify having the disorder and then I'm stuck with a $500 bill for nothing. If anyone was in my situation then please leave some advices on whether I should go on with this test or not.

Thank You

sarahsweets
08-17-17, 04:41 AM
Hello everyone,
I recently had a visit with a psychiatrist at a community clinic. I told him about my symptoms and everything and he gave me the impression that he would not prescribe any kind of stimulant, and that these stimulants are highly addictive like meth. I kind of don't blame him considering the people that come in and out of community clinic, but this does not solve my problems. He told me I can go for a second opinion and I get an ADD test from another doctor. He did prescribe me Welbutrin, but I honestly can't tell any difference.

There's your answer as far as using the doctor at the clinic. If They tell you right away that they will not treat you with the one thing that has buttloads of research behind it, you dont want them to be your doctor anyway. How ignorant.

Unfortunately, I have medicaid and the ones that I've asked do not accept medicaid. Now I'm confidant that I have ADD since as a kid, but I never had any hyperactivity when I was a kid. Therefore I was never diagnosed with ADHD. Do you guys think that clinicians will view my case as if I'm some druggie trying to score stimulants? Even if I can get enough money for the exam, there is a risk that the clinician will say I don't qualify having the disorder and then I'm stuck with a $500 bill for nothing. If anyone was in my situation then please leave some advices on whether I should go on with this test or not.

Thank You

Thats a tough call. What are your impairments? What were your impairments as a child?
Its hard to say what to do. Most docs will charge that type of fee, and then charge you some more while you get stable on meds before they allow you to only be seen for medication management so I dont believe it would be the only fee you would have to pay. Have you asked outright why the clinic doctor is against a treatment that has tons of research supporting its efficacy?

putacabra2017
08-17-17, 06:51 PM
Thats a tough call. What are your impairments? What were your impairments as a child?
I came to America when I was 7 so english was my second language. After 1st year I communicated with my teacher and classmates fine. However I was stuck in certain classes that were reserved for ESL(english as second language) students because my reading score was really low. Then one day I was reading in class and the teacher recognize that I could read but the problem was I couldn't remember anything I was reading. When I read thoughts come in and out of my head that I can't control and I forget what I was reading. So after that point they pulled me out of the slow classes. Besides the reading comprehension problems I did not learn a much in school from the teacher because I couldn't listen in a sense that I couldn't concentrate even if I wanted to. Eventually my english caught up with me and I was able to learn on my own just from books only.

I've always had common problems with organizations, never have a sense of time, was always late. I always write a schedule, objectives, and goals in life but I could never follow any of it. I'm very impulsive with a lot of things. I have a bad problem of jumping from one task to another. When I talk to someone I would blank out and stare straight at them without hearing anything they are saying.

Have you asked outright why the clinic doctor is against a treatment that has tons of research supporting its efficacy?

The doctor basicly told me that ADD should have been picked up when I was a kid and that there is insufficient evidence to prove that Adderall can help an adult. Then he also added that adderrall is too addictive and is compareable to meth. I think a cultural background of a doctor can have an influence on how he diagnose certain types of disorder. My parents' cultural background is such that they honestly don't give a crap about if you are depressed, have ADD, or whatever reason besides physical injuries, you better produce in school and in life or else you are just a lazy person.

Swissy
08-18-17, 04:27 AM
You can also see a neurologist who treats adult ADD. I would suggest looking for one who accepts your insurance.

sarahsweets
08-18-17, 04:49 AM
That doctor is full of crap.

sarahsweets
08-18-17, 06:39 AM
That doctor is full of crap.

The doctor basicly told me that ADD should have been picked up when I was a kid and that there is insufficient evidence to prove that Adderall can help an adult. Then he also added that adderrall is too addictive and is compareable to meth. I think a cultural background of a doctor can have an influence on how he diagnose certain types of disorder. My parents' cultural background is such that they honestly don't give a crap about if you are depressed, have ADD, or whatever reason besides physical injuries, you better produce in school and in life or else you are just a lazy person.

I should have added more than that one liner.
You need to show him the evidence yourself. Google "does adderall help/work for adhd"
Read about addiction risks and steer clear of articles and blogs that are clearly biased about adderall. If its an ad or promotion for an addiction center or program they will be biased. If its an anti-med/scientology site it will be biased. In actualtiy, treating adhd lowers the chance of addiction and addictive behaviors because untreated adhd people are more prone to self medicate to alleviate their symptoms. Adderall is NOT meth and I cant stand when people say that it is.

Lunacie
08-18-17, 09:40 AM
Try doing a web search for "medicaid + psychiatrist + richmond" and maybe
you'll find a few different places to call. First thing to ask is whether they treat
adhd in adults.

It's absolutely ridiculous in my opinion that some doctors still don't think adhd
is a real thing, or that adults ever have adhd. But then, my doctor doesn't
think fibromyalgia is a real thing and that's also ridiculous. Thankfully the PA
at his office knows it's real.