View Full Version : Impact on immune system while on Dexamphetamine?

agdp01
08-17-17, 07:02 AM
I've been on Dexamphetamine for a few months now and do notice a slight benefit but since taking it I've had continuos cases of the common cold.
I've moved to a new area as well and it is winter but I've never had so many colds. I'd usually get 1-2 a year but this winter I've had 5 or more in the space of a couple of months.
Is this just a coincidence or is the Dexamphetamine having some kind of impact on my immune system?

sarahsweets
08-17-17, 07:32 AM
I found these:
Pubmed abstract:
Amphetamine enhances natural killer cytotoxic activity via beta-adrenergic mechanism.

Glac W1, Borman A, Badtke P, Stojek W, Orlikowska A, Tokarski J.
Author information
Abstract
Although addiction to amphetamine (AMPH) is a serious social and medical problem, the data concerning AMPH - immune interactions are still not numerous. To analyze the mechanism of AMPH-induced changes in the function of the immune system, rats were pretreated with beta-adrenergic receptor antagonist propranolol (PROP; 5 mg/kg, i.p.) prior to AMPH (1 mg/kg, i.p.) administration. Natural Killer cells cytotoxicity (NKCC) ((51)Cr-release assay), the number of LGLs (NK cells) (Timonen method), leukocytes, lymphocytes and monocytes, and plasma corticosterone level (CORT) (RIA) were evaluated in the peripheral blood and spleen. In the peripheral blood increases in NKCC (+331 Delta %), as well as in LGL (+33 Delta %) and monocyte (+65 Delta %) number observed after AMPH were partially inhibited by PROP (respectively by 30%, 19%, and 30%) in contrast to lymphopenia (-19 Delta %) and granulocytosis (+65 Delta %) which were not affected by beta-blockade. In the spleen AMPH-induced decreases in NKCC (-25 Delta %) and in all the leukocyte populations number (approximately -30 Delta %) were completely blocked by PROP. Plasma CORT level, highly elevated by AMPH (+337 Delta %), was attenuated nearly by 50% under beta-adrenergic blockade. These data indicate that AMPH-induced enhancement of cytotoxic activity of NK cell is related to beta-adrenergic mechanism.

If you want to read more I think you have to have access to pubmed by a paid membership or something.

Then there was this:
I cant link to it per the guidelines but there was a lot of anecdotal experiences that I found interesting.

Amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, etc.) does not have a strong effect on the immune system if taken every day and in responsible doses.

A single dose of amphetamine will increase cortisol, and that will slightly suppress the immune system. The effect on the immune system is really very small. The effect on blood sugar is more notable - a single dose of amphetamine will raise your blood sugar, thanks to cortisol.

An everyday constant dose of amphetamine may or may not increase cortisol, and it probably does not due to tolerance. Long-term amphetamine use for ADHD and narcolepsy is not associated with immunosuppressant side effects such as opportunistic infection.

By the same token, amphetamine is not an effective treatment for autoimmune diseases. Because it really doesn't affect the immune system very much.

Amphetamine abuse in amphetamine addicts can indeed devastate the immune system due to things like massive weight loss or (more obviously) HIV from sharing needles.
Its hard to find anything definitive on this subject.My gut tells me that when taken as prescribed, once you are stable on dex, it shoudnt have much if any effect on your immune system. Cold are viruses and a new environment with new virus's, bacterias and allergens can have more of an effect on your immune system then the dex.

Pilgrim
08-17-17, 08:00 AM
You've got the flu. Worst in a number of years. The Dex works not as well. Probably take less Dex.

aeon
08-17-17, 09:57 AM
Dex will dry out your snout.

A wet snout is a healthy snout.

Dry snouts are like castles with the moat drained and the drawbridge down.

Drink water, and wash your hands.

Cheers,
Ian