View Full Version : Adderall is my life line! Am I building up a immunity for it?

jkimbo
08-17-17, 02:16 PM
The first day I tried adderall I knew it was the game changer for me. That was about 2 years ago. I started at only 10mg once a day! That did not last long at all and my pdoc finally upped it to 15mg twice a day. Which seemed pretty good for about 5 months. My dosage was upped again to 15mg 3x a day, which also seemed to bring me back to life again but only lasted about 6 months or so. I am still on that. My pdoc that started me on this retired and my new pdoc who is younger (40ish) did not want to up my dosage again. He did suggest I try the extended release version of my dosage, I take instant release now and have read the extended lasts a little longer but is weaker.

So I'd like to revisit this topic. Anyone pleased with the results of extended version adderall, and what dosage are you on. Many thanks!

diagoro
08-17-17, 03:33 PM
You'll read varied experiences and opinions here. I tend to believe we build up tolerances. I've been on and off adderall the past 15 years, with mixed results. Last year I was taking 20mg XR, but also had 10mg IR in case I needed a boost. End result was major sleeplessness. I would we tired as normal, but had a long period of days where I would wake up at 2 or 3 amped up. It was like my body was saving a dosage for later.

I also had a similar experience though. Would work great for a while, than taper off. Got to the point where the side effects weren't worth the benefit (major ed, sleeplessness, major irritability).

sarahsweets
08-17-17, 05:23 PM
I take all xr. I take 20mg xr three times a day and 15mg xr once a day. To be fair, I do have absorption issues so ir meds never lasted more than 2 hours. I dose the xr as if its an ir so about every 4 hours or so. Taking it this way seems to work best for me. The consistency is key.

sarahsweets
08-18-17, 07:03 AM
The first day I tried adderall I knew it was the game changer for me. That was about 2 years ago. I started at only 10mg once a day! That did not last long at all and my pdoc finally upped it to 15mg twice a day. Which seemed pretty good for about 5 months. My dosage was upped again to 15mg 3x a day, which also seemed to bring me back to life again but only lasted about 6 months or so. I am still on that. My pdoc that started me on this retired and my new pdoc who is younger (40ish) did not want to up my dosage again. He did suggest I try the extended release version of my dosage, I take instant release now and have read the extended lasts a little longer but is weaker.

So I'd like to revisit this topic. Anyone pleased with the results of extended version adderall, and what dosage are you on. Many thanks!

Something else I wanted to note:
The recommended daily dosage of adderall for adhd is 40mg and for narcolepsy its 60mg. Most people on higher doses of adderall take 60mg or more for adhd. It useful to note that daily recommended max has nothing to do with efficacy or safety, its an arbitrary amount that the FDA has decided should work and its usually based on studies using children. I take 75mg a day.

jkimbo
08-23-17, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure what to do. Currently I'm afraid I'm use to 15mg 3 times a day IR. BUT I prefer the IR because I could if I wanted to, cut back willingly to only two or 1 in a day, at least that was the initial reason. My pdoc retired and I have a new one who is younger and I can tell he is one of those book smart know it alls who would rather weed everyone off controlled substances. Although he is respecting my previous doctors diagnosis and scripts, he made it clear that he will not up the dose but is willing to try ER. I don't think he will go over my 45mg max daily amount though.

As for diagoro reply regarding sleep, I'm afraid it makes no difference to me. By that I mean even before I started adderall I have had a chronic sleep disorder. It's very hard for me to fall asleep no matter how tired, sleepy I am or how much I yawn. It would take 3 to 5 hours for me to fall asleep and then I would wake up every hour, like clock work. About the only thing that would help me fall asleep within a hour, which is very fast for me, was Ambien. I would sleep 3-4 hours before I started waking up every hour. Unfortuneately because I am on klonopin which I hardly every take since I started adderall over a year ago, I still get my scripts for them. The pdoc that would give me Ambien the one before the one that retired died. No one else will prescribe it for me now.

Oddly, adderall helps me sleep! I kid you not. If I space my doses right, two hours or any time after my last does I could fall asleep almost immediately. sleep for 3-4 hours and wake up fully refreshed! Not sure why?! My last pdoc the one that retired suggested it could be because my brain is so unbalanced off the adderall, that the adderal actually balances it to closer to how it should be. Dunno.

I really don't know what do do. I would not mind trying EF if he also included some IR as a booster if needed, but by the sound of him, I doubt he would go for that.

Little Missy
08-23-17, 09:08 AM
What generic brand do you take? Sometimes that makes a BIG difference in efficacy.

I've taken 10 mg 3x daily for at least 11 years. If I think about it I feel like I need more. If I'm busy enough I'm fine.

Some days are good. Some days are bad. I take a dead out 15 minute nap even when I'm on it. Best nap ever! The Adderall nap!

Other than that I have no advice. Except, sometimes less is more. I know, weird.

Swissy
08-23-17, 10:00 AM
Other than that I have no advice. Except, sometimes less is more. I know, weird.[/QUOTE]

This! When I feel like you are I take 1/2 IR and space them out closer than normal. So instead of the whole 10mg 4hrs apart I will try 5mg 2 hours apart. Then I can start spacing them more and eventually I could only take that first 5mg to get me going and be good all day (usually not on a work day.) as I get into a busier work cycle i end up back at my normal dose, then start this reduced cycle again. It has been working!

sarahsweets
08-24-17, 04:52 AM
This is JMO but I think smaller more frequent doses might work better for you than larger spaced out doses. You can still stay at whatever your goofy doc says you should be under but if you were able to take something 6 times a say instead of three or take the xr three times a day and and ir booster three times a day and still stay at that cap I think it would help you.