View Full Version : magnetic resonance

TK1991
08-18-17, 04:10 AM
Hi, I can not find two answer on this forum therefore I create the new thread. I apologize if it is here already.
1. Is it rules that people with adhd has different test results of cortex cerebri? I mean test of magnetic resonance.

2. I am 25 years old and I have adhd, is there a chance that I will cure? What is pribability? I heard a story about a woman that is 35 years old and she is healthy now. Can be it true?

3. Where is research and medicine? Will there be effective add-on drugs in the near future?

Thank you so much for reply and a informations

namazu
08-18-17, 04:38 AM
No, it is not true that ADHD can be reliably diagnosed by imaging the cerebral cortex with MRI. MRIs are not recommended for diagnosis of ADHD, but they can be used to evaluate other conditions that could be causing some symptoms.

If you have ADHD at age 25, it is very unlikely that it will ever go away. There is no known cure for ADHD. However, ADHD can be managed, usually with a combination of medication, healthy lifestyle, technology, and therapy, as well as strategies for time management, organization, and other areas of difficulty.

There is a very large and growing body of research on ADHD and its treatment. I don't know what medications are currently in development. However, if you visit clinicaltrials.gov (https://clinicaltrials.gov/) and type in "ADHD", you will find some of the (mostly US-based) active studies of medications and other types of therapy for ADHD. You can also visit PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) to search for published scientific research about ADHD.

sarahsweets
08-18-17, 06:32 AM
I have to have an MRI of the brain on September 1. I wonder if they will see anything even if thats not what they are looking for?

TK1991
08-18-17, 06:54 AM
No, it is not true that ADHD can be reliably diagnosed by imaging the cerebral cortex with MRI. MRIs are not recommended for diagnosis of ADHD, but they can be used to evaluate other conditions that could be causing some symptoms.

my psychatrist tells something other: adhd causes cortico subcortical atrophy, where is the thruth?

If you have ADHD at age 25, it is very unlikely that it will ever go away. There is no known cure for ADHD. However, ADHD can be managed, usually with a combination of medication, healthy lifestyle, technology, and therapy, as well as strategies for time management, organization, and other areas of difficulty.

technology? what do you mean? could you be specific? my psychiatrist told me nothing about this option.

therapy? do you mean psychological therapy or anything else?

I have to have an MRI of the brain on September 1. I wonder if they will see anything even if thats not what they are looking for?

can you tell me how it happened? if it is not personal.

Thank you

sarahsweets
08-18-17, 07:05 AM
can you tell me how it happened? if it is not personal.

Thank you

Do you mean how come it was ordered for me? I havent had it yet so I dont have any results. I am having it due to an autoimmune disease and to check for things like brain masses, nerve damage, MS and other stuff.

TK1991
08-19-17, 05:26 AM
@namazu us technology do you mean something like biofeedback/neurofeedback?

jdpjr969
08-19-17, 07:53 PM
I had an MRI of my brain. Was for cluster headaches. As far as ADHD goes, the only thing the MRI helped with was giving definitive proof to my wife that I really did have a brain!! Shut her up real quick. Was worth every damn penny!! But didn't say crap about cluster headaches either... Clinical interview and diagnostic assessment by mental health professional and MD or by psychiatrist is the only way my friend. Unfortunately there is no cure either. Just effective treatments which is a lot. ADHD has been around for a long time and isn't going away soon. Believe me, there are much worse things out there than ADHD. I was diagnosed at the tender young of 31 in 1996. Been on meds and the latest and greatest CBT's ever since and thank God for all of them. Many were not worth crap, others were life savers. Weeding through all of the crap (and there was a lot of it) to find the life savers is well worth it. You want to effectively manage ADHD over your lifetime? Here's how... Remember these words... "You do what it takes, for as long as it takes, when its necessary". That was the best advice I ever got from a psychiatrist. Was back in 1998. I miss that guy.

namazu
08-19-17, 09:08 PM
my psychatrist tells something other: adhd causes cortico subcortical atrophy, where is the thruth?
There are parts of the brain that are, on average, smaller in people with ADHD than in people without ADHD.

But there is enough overlap between people with and without ADHD that the size of different parts of the brain cannot be used for diagnosis in individuals.

technology? what do you mean? could you be specific? my psychiatrist told me nothing about this option.
[...]
@namazu us technology do you mean something like biofeedback/neurofeedback?
I do not mean biofeedback/neurofeedback.

I mean a combination of high-tech and low-tech ways to compensate for our difficulties. For me, these include things like:
- post-it notes to remind myself of important taks
- digital calendar with alarms to remind me of appointments and deadlines
- paying bills automatically online
- alarms to help me manage my time
- noise-cancelling headphones to help me block out noises when I'm working
- etc.

therapy? do you mean psychological therapy or anything else?
Yes, psychological therapy. It is generally more helpful for anxiety and other problems that come along with ADHD than for ADHD itself. But a therapist familiar with ADHD may be able to help you work out strategies to manage ADHD-related difficulties as well.

There are also some cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) programs for ADHD that have recently shown some promise, but it may be hard to find someone who can implement such a program. I do not have personal experience with CBT specifically for ADHD.

TK1991
08-20-17, 04:22 AM
There are parts of the brain that are, on average, smaller in people with ADHD than in people without ADHD.

But there is enough overlap between people with and without ADHD that the size of different parts of the brain cannot be used for diagnosis in individuals.

Is not that bad diagnosis? did you read book "ADHD Does Not Exist, Writes Dr. Richard Saul"? what do you think about this?

I do not mean biofeedback/neurofeedback.

I mean a combination of high-tech and low-tech ways to compensate for our difficulties. For me, these include things like:
- post-it notes to remind myself of important taks
- digital calendar with alarms to remind me of appointments and deadlines
- paying bills automatically online
- alarms to help me manage my time
- noise-cancelling headphones to help me block out noises when I'm working
- etc.

Do I understand well if I think your job is mental?
What is you job?
Did you study Univerzity?
I ask beacause I interesting about education/school/knowledge so much and I was not able finish one semester at college. I apologite if it is personal questions.

Do you may show me link with some headphones?