View Full Version : I Can't Stop Playing with my Hair!

Maggs1113
08-18-17, 01:43 PM
Really, I can't!! I have always been a fidgety person. When I was in elementary school, I played with my ears. In middle school I bit my nails (stopped when I got braces and it hurt too much!) I then started playing with my hair in high school after getting my first layered haircut and the layers felt weird. Weird but soft and I guess comforting? I haven't been able to redirect to anything else less noticeable or just get over it. I didn't even think of this habit being related to ADHD until my counselor I was seeing for being overwhelmed and "burnt out" with everything suggested me looking into ADD and talking to my primary doctor. She hit the nail on the head!

Now that I'm aware of it, I feel that I constantly have my hands in my hair when trying to think at work, when I'm bored at work or just thinking. I tried using a fidget ring with my hand on my lap to substitute my hair twirling, but then find my other hand going up to twirl without even thinking! I just started Concerta 36mg up from 27mg, and I'm not sure it's helping more than focusing eyes to be able to read written and printed text easier.

I tried Adderall XR 15mg, and it put me to sleep. Couldn't function during the day at all even though I could focus on reading easier (when I wasn't falling asleep). Still can't stay on task with either Concerta or Adderall or stop playing with my stinkin' hair! :confused:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated to at least ease my mind a bit or give me ideas of what to bring up to my p doc. Thanks!! :D

peripatetic
08-18-17, 03:54 PM
i play with my hair/run my hands through it constancy. no suggestions, but i appreciate where you're coming from.

and welcome to the forums. xx

concentric
10-06-17, 07:58 AM
I do the same thing too! I find if I tie my hair up in a bun it helps tremendously.