View Full Version : How to make the most of my med honeymoon period.

midnightrunner
08-19-17, 09:39 AM
Hi, all, I'm newly diagnosed and new here. I look forward to participating here.

There's so much I could write because I'm still processing my new ADHD I diagnosis. I'll try to be focused. ;)

I've been put on dexamphetiine and was happy to see the amazing change in the first couple of days. Then, I learned there is a honey moon period and that people develop tolerances for this class of medication. So, no now I'm anxious about lifelong management of my symptoms which at times has been crippling innattentiveness/ lack of motivation that impacts my ability to work. :(

So, questions:

Is there hope for keeping the motivation and focus that I've had in the last couple of days?
What are the most effective things I can be working on while this honeymoon phase is here.
Is this honeymoon phase even 'a thing'?
Any favorite resources that you've found helpful?

Thanks guys. I really really want to get my life together and do better at work. I really do. Feeling kind of lost right now. Maybe I should get my hopes up about the medication.

ScatterBrainX
08-22-17, 04:24 AM
It is true that meds "feel" stronger when you first take them, and then it fades out. I'm not sure if its a placebo effect caused by the excitement of being diagnosed and on new meds, or a real "building up tolerance", but I have experienced this.

However, the effects don't "disappear" entirely after the "honeymoon". You'll still benefit from them enormously, so don't let yourself fall into the trap of anxious "omg I need to do something NOW or the opportunity will be lost for ever!".

Having said that, it's always a good time to start developing new habits and coping mechanisms. Don't do everything at once, just start with one good thing that would improve your life, and do it until it's no longer much of a struggle.

E.g. for lack of motivation, figuring out a schedule that works for you can be great. Experiment with how long at a time you can focus, what recharges your batteries faster during breaks, etc. And stick to that schedule even if you're "not in the mood", even if you just stare at your computer screen instead of working, only adjust it the next day.

sarahsweets
08-23-17, 02:59 AM
Its true that when you start or resume medication cause its new or you had a break, you can "feel" it more. That part is the honeymoon, but even when you dont feel the meds they should work. Not feeling the meds is normal, but you have to look at how well your symptoms are managed,not by how you feel.

midnightrunner
08-23-17, 08:16 PM
Thank you for your responses. I get it. Assuming the meds are working I should get relief from the bad stuff, in my case, lack of initiative/motivation. I've been working on a few habits such as sending all my to dos to a task tracker app (remember the milk)!!ive used it on and off form several years but it's Ben so easy and rewarding to use it while on meds. So, I've focusing on that and identifying the top 3 things I want to accomplish on any given day. That's a really good one because I used to try and work to do lists but it was just to overwhelming.

sarahsweets
08-24-17, 05:20 AM
Thank you for your responses. I get it. Assuming the meds are working I should get relief from the bad stuff, in my case, lack of initiative/motivation. I've been working on a few habits such as sending all my to dos to a task tracker app (remember the milk)!!ive used it on and off form several years but it's Ben so easy and rewarding to use it while on meds. So, I've focusing on that and identifying the top 3 things I want to accomplish on any given day. That's a really good one because I used to try and work to do lists but it was just to overwhelming.

Not to hijack but how is remember the milk? I am always trying to find a task helper that I stick with. How does it work? can you PM me the answers to these questions so the thread stays on topic?