View Full Version : Just a quick question.

Amberg330
08-19-17, 05:56 PM
I know I have posted a few times on here almost about the same thing but I am kind of freaking myself out. And really want to ask someone who maybe has been in the situation, or knows more about it. My husband just keeps telling me it's fine and to quit worrying about it lol.

I was put on adderall a month ago, almost thirty days to be exact and I go back to the dr on Tuesday. He gave me 20mg and told me I could take the whole 20 or I could break them. Well I've done both, and the 20mg works for me and the 10mg does nothing, but the 20mg wears off in 3-4 hours and I have an 8 hour job.

I want to explain this to him, (I can't really do XR because I don't have insurance and it's really expensive without insurance), so I was going to ask if there was any way I could do a second dose of 20mg in the afternoon since I know the 20mg is working for me without sounding like I'm drug seeking or just want more medicine.

He's a primary care doctor and he's in like his 60's lol he's pretty cool and laid back, I haven't had to do any kind of crazy drug test before he gave me adderall like other places did and he didn't try a non stimulant either first like other places did. But I don't know, what do y'all think I should say to him? Like I said my dr appointment is Tuesday... 08/22. Thanks :)

Lunacie
08-19-17, 06:07 PM
Instant release tablets aren't supposed to work more than 3-4 hours. That's
absolutely normal. Most people who use IR do have to take it twice or even
three times per day.

Just tell the doctor that you tried it both ways and the 20 mg works best but
you'd like for it to work more than 4 hours.

Remind him that you don't have insurance and extended release caps are more
expensive, that you'd like to try 20 mg two times a day. Or perhaps 20 mg as
a morning dose, 10 mg later, and then another 10 mg in late afternoon.

It's best to start with a low dose for a couple of weeks to make sure you don't
have any unwanted side effects. But it seems you're not having anything awful
so you should be good to go with taking it twice a day.

Amberg330
08-19-17, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your response. I think why I am so worried about it, is the first doctor I went to was a psychiatrist office which of course I didn't see the psychiatrist I saw a nurse practioner. I had a procedure done back in January that called for me to be prescribed lotitab and after the procedure I sometimes still had pain (however I don't like the way pain pills make me feel so I didn't take all of them when the procedure was done and I also only took one like every other month) when I happened to have some pain.

About 4 days before I went to the psychiatrist office I had taken a loritab because I was hurting (I had like two left) and right when I got there(the office was also a place to go to pretty much get off drugs as well as they treat ADHD... so maybe I should have known, but they got me to take a drug test right when I walked in when asked if anything was in my system I said imnnot sure I took something like 4 days ago should I write that down? And they said yes and so I did. The test came back positive for the loritab, and because of that the nurse said I was probably drug seeking and she didn't want to put me on a stimulant and gave me a non stimulant which made me feel like hell.

I talked to her for at least an hour and told her the situation and about what happened the procedure I had and how I was told by the hospital I could take if I ever had any pain down the road and had some left. It I guess since the script was expired it wasn't good in the nurses eyes. I told her I had never had any alchohol or drug problems which I haven't... but that was her take on it . I guess hats why I have been worried about asking for a second dose since I've already been called drug seeking by one dr because of something so small.

Lunacie
08-19-17, 06:39 PM
You've already seen this new doctor at least once and didn't have to take a
drug test, right? You're worrying about something that probably won't happen.

If he's not comfortable giving you a second dose during the day, ask him if he
can refer you to a psychiatrist that has experience in treating adhd.

ms ladybug
08-21-17, 11:46 AM
Make sure you tell him that you tried the 10 and it wasn't effective. It's reasonable to take IR 2/day and I think he'd understand if you tell him what insurance will and won't cover.

CharlesH
08-22-17, 01:40 AM
My layman's understanding is that 40 mg/day Adderall IR is well within prescribing norms, and the generic IR version should be relatively cheap and covered by insurance without issue. Just explain that the 20 mg only lasts a few hours, and that if you split it, it isn't effective enough when administered 10 mg at a time.

I agree with one of the previous posters that you shouldn't worry about the nurse practitioner. The doctor is already prescribing you the medication even after the incident, so it seems like this is a non-issue.

Amberg330
08-22-17, 04:43 PM
Yeah worried for nothing. I didn't even really have to say anything besides the fact that it only lasted 4 hours he said well that was to be expected I just wanted to put you on a low dose at first since you had never taken a stimulant before. But no problem, I'll now write you 20mg twice a day, so I got a script for 60 20 mg for the month and if he said this works and I come back in 30 days and everything is good then we are good to go and established and I can start not coming each month:) very happy and freaked myself out over nothing thanks everyone for your replies :)

Lunacie
08-22-17, 04:48 PM
Yeah worried for nothing. I didn't even really have to say anything besides the fact that it only lasted 4 hours he said well that was to be expected I just wanted to put you on a low dose at first since you had never taken a stimulant before. But no problem, I'll now write you 20mg twice a day, so I got a script for 60 20 mg for the month and if he said this works and I come back in 30 days and everything is good then we are good to go and established and I can start not coming each month:) very happy and freaked myself out over nothing thanks everyone for your replies :)

But you didn't know it was nothing since this is the first time you've taken
these meds. So glad the meds are working and your doc is working with you.
:grouphug:

Snoopy10
09-05-17, 09:05 AM
I feel this way every time I go in for my refills at my primary care doctor, like I'm a druggie or something. But I guess I understand with people abusing it. Which I'm obviously not since my butt is just as big as when I started taking it, ha ha! But seriously, the whole prescription thing is just awkward and anxiety producing.

Swissy
09-05-17, 09:39 AM
I have this complex where I always feel like people don't believe me. Like I have to explain myself. For example, if I call out of work sick (which over 20 years I have only done 2- 3 times) I feel like I really have to convince/ justify my illness. I know it has to do with how I was treated as a child, but I feel like this could also be an ADD trait. Maybe because one of our symptoms is messing up and having to try and explain ourselves when we can't clearly put into words what happened.

I think this feeling (I call it "bad dog syndrome") carries on to many parts of my life, which is one of the reasons it was so hard for me to seek help and get my ADD diagnosis. It was equally hard for me to ask for the IR twice/ day due to insurance coverage and also so I could control my dosing. Twice I had to walk back into the office and ask the doctor to remove the "XR" from the script, LOL. But in the end I am not seen as a drug seeker, nor am I seen as a faker (by the people who actually matter).

I feel like doctors who have been in practice long enough and have the experience to read people can tell when people are seeking drugs for the wrong reasons. Yes, there are doctors who suspect all ADD patients, but we are in charge of hiring the right professionals to help us. When you have this "bad dog complex" it is really hard to stand up for yourself. Forums like this one are great to reinforce our confidence and help us find he help we need to thrive in life.

So just take a deep breath and tell the doctor the 20mg IR works wonderful, but for your 8 hour work day you feel you would benefit most from 2 doses/ day. And if you have a good doc as I do, you will walk out of the office with a script for 60 IR pills. :)

Amberg330
09-12-17, 10:29 PM
Yes, I was able to get 20 mg prescribed twice a day. I take 10mg four times a day now and that's what works for me :) a lot easier than I thought! And I am the exact same way!!! Ever time I cal in to work I always screen shot him the reason(my daughter's school was closed I screen shotted him the website, my tire blew I screen shotted him the tire) haha maybe it's just a add thing!:)

Greyhound1
09-12-17, 10:57 PM
Yes, I was able to get 20 mg prescribed twice a day. I take 10mg four times a day now and that's what works for me :) a lot easier than I thought! And I am the exact same way!!! Ever time I cal in to work I always screen shot him the reason(my daughter's school was closed I screen shotted him the website, my tire blew I screen shotted him the tire) haha maybe it's just a add thing!:)

Glad you got the medication coverage you needed!

I am also on 20mg IR 2X a day. My Dr. said that is the most prescribed dosage and well in the normal range.