View Full Version : First grade teacher asked for an evaluation on day 3: really? on day 3?

tana13us
08-21-17, 12:36 AM
My son started first grade at a public school last week.

he comes from a kinder of 12 kids who knew each other and the teacher from preschool. So as you can imagine, starting first grade was moving to a whole new experience. He is going from 12 kids to 24 or 26 kids in the class and from a school of 100 kids to one of 500 with obviously a huge building. I put him in camp at the school where he is now for one week before starting kinder as a way of getting familiar with the place.

On day 3, at pick up line, I asked the teacher a question about food policies because my son had mentioned many times that he is not allowed to get his own food when breakfast is being served. So I was not defending him but I wanted to make sure he knew the policies. The teacher got all defensive and she said :"have you thought about having him evaluated"?

I said :"his hearing and vision are great"

She said" no, evaluate his brain, his brain, his attention.

This happened in front of my son,the other kids and parents.

I went home and I knew the office was still opened so I called and asked for a conference.

The teacher is pushing it until After Labor weekend. I believe she said September 6th. She emailed me this weekend. First I agreed and then I emailed her back and I want to hear what she has to say now and then meet again in a month

I am not mad at a possible diagnosis but this kid did well before and he is just adjusting by day 3 so I am not what to make out of this

I have seen tests online but they all seem too advanced and not for a 6 year old.
does anyone have a good resource on what I should look for to see if he suffers from attention disorders.

I want to educate myself on the difference between being immature and suffering from an attention disorder

any tips? any ideas on how I address this with the teacher when we meet?
thanks

Caco3girl
08-21-17, 10:59 AM
WOW, you have a special one there. I have a 10th grader and a third grader in GA, and if this had happened to me I would have demanded a meeting with the person over students, likely the vice principle. The teacher had no right to say that in front of other people, I'm guessing she is new.

My 8 year old is confirmed ADHD as of last year, but it took her teachers ALL year to finally request a meeting with me about her inability to stay in her seat. On day 3 the kid is still testing boundaries, and the teacher can't possibly tell anything. My daughter is suspected of having Dyslexia, and I was told flat out to wait on testing her because the more she understands the written word the more telling the tests will be. My 10th grader wasn't evaluated until 8th grade and the tests were long, boring, and very helpful in the end, but at age 5 or 6 they can't read well enough to really take those school types of tests. Not that there aren't other ways to determine ADHD, but right now I think you have a bigger problem with the teacher than you kid.

Any teacher calling out an issue on day 3 doesn't know what they are doing. Any teacher that calls it out in front of other people needs to be censured by the school for doing so, so she doesn't do it again.

Lunacie
08-21-17, 11:58 AM
:eek: She didn't answer your question just jumped to the conclusion that there
is something wrong with your child? Is she going to go ahead and treat your
child differently based on her assumptions if you wait till he's been in school
for at least a month? After all, she talked about it front of your child. :mad:
If you think that's a possibility, have a meeting with the principal or vice-p.

You've never noticed anything that gave you any concern. His pre-school
teachers and aides never noticed anything that made them talk with you.
His pediatrician never noticed anything that made her suggest an evaluation.
Admittedly my granddaughter had severe adhd but I noticed lots of things
before she even started school.

This sample evaluation for parents might help you decide whether there is
actually anything to warrant a professional evaluation.

Questionnaire for Parents of 6- to 9-year-olds

Answer these questions keeping in mind that you want to compare your child
with what you feel the average child his or her age is experiencing.
For example, on the question, "Is your child inattentive or easily distracted,"
think about how your son or daughter would compare to peers in his or her
age group. Also consider the duration of the symptoms. If the symptoms
have been taking place for less than 6 months this could be a sign of another
problem such as depression, anxiety or just stress in general. Please consider
these factors as you rate your child.

Answer each question with a rating of 1-4
1 Does not apply to my child
2 Occasionally true in describing my child
3 This often describes my child's behavior or trait
4 This is a darn good description for my kid

1. Is always on the go, acts as if driven by a motor
_1 _2 _3 _4

2. Difficult to control in shopping situations
_1 _2 _3 _4

3. Runs or climbs excessively in situations where it is clearly inappropriate
_1 _2 _3 _4

4. Could be described as restless or squirmy
_1 _2 _3 _4

5. Has difficulty waiting his/her turn for games or group situations
_1 _2 _3 _4

6. Has difficulty playing quietly
_1 _2 _3 _4

7. Leaves classroom or situation in which staying seated is expected
_1 _2 _3 _4

8. Easily frustrated in situations that require sustained effort
_1 _2 _3 _4

9. Short attention span
_1 _2 _3 _4

10. Only attends to a task if he/she is very interested
_1 _2 _3 _4

Scoring:

20 and below = Your child does not appear to have the symptoms of ADHD,
but if you're concerned keep in touch with your child's teachers, counselors
and coaches to see how you can create a team approach to help your child
achieve his/her best.

21-25 = Somewhat likely to have ADHD.

26-30 = Likely to have ADHD, could benefit from further evaluation and
testing.

30 and up =Very likely to have ADHD-you could be doing your child a
disservice by not attending to this matter.

(this is copied from a site with advertising so I will not post the link)

tana13us
08-21-17, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the questionnaire Lunacie

I did it and he fits into the first group, therefore, no diagnosis
I requested a conference with the teacher and the principal. The teacher's email did not state if the Principal was going to be there but she CCed the principal.
Our pediatrician is informed already
I am just mad at the way

Lunacie
08-21-17, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the questionnaire Lunacie

I did it and he fits into the first group, therefore, no diagnosis
I requested a conference with the teacher and the principal. The teacher's email did not state if the Principal was going to be there but she CCed the principal.
Our pediatrician is informed already
I am just mad at the way

Please don't rule it out entirely until you hear the reason(s) the teacher made
her suggestion.

With my granddaughter, shopping was a pain as my granddaughter would go
on ahead, around corners where we couldn't see her. She would run ahead in
parking lots and such so we had to pay really close attention. She had trouble
waiting her turn to talk or in playing games until she was in high school.

I don't think she actually left the classroom but had trouble staying seated.
She got frustrated if things didn't work right the first time, or she didn't 'get'
something quickly enough. My score from memory (she's 19 now) only put
her in the high twenties. Early intervention and help could have prevented
a lot of trauma that really got crazy in 5th grade.

Amid all that her teachers always said she was doing fine when we asked at
parent/teacher conferences ... until the 5th grade. If your son's teacher really
is seeing symptoms now, early intervention is better than waiting. Although
it may simply be that they rub each other the wrong way and nothing is
actually wrong.

Caco3girl
08-22-17, 08:35 AM
My 8 year old ADHD daughter has moments where she isn't disruptive and moments where she is. She doesn't climb, but she does cartwheels. She doesn't have a problem staying her seat....she just asks to go to the nurse, bathroom, get a drink of water, get a band aid, tell the teacher something important, sharpen her pencil...etc.

My ADHD 10th grader was just an active boy, I didn't see anything odd until around 5th grade. Then it was more inattentive than hyperactive. It is entirely possible that he is just testing her. My daughter LOVES to test new teachers, then she calms it down about a week into school, but man that first week she is just doing her own thing until she recognizes the teachers authority. Some teachers are good at laying down the law and others are trying to be their friends and get run over. It may be HER and not your kid.

tana13us
08-22-17, 09:45 PM
His pediatrician said that if I am not too concern, he would prefer to wait until November or December to evaluate him to give him time to adjust .
I'm not afraid of a possible diagnosis but it makes sense to wait
I just don't know if I will wait until November
The funny thing is that on mondays and Tuesday's , my son stayed in childcare for an hour and when I went to pick him up, both days , I saw him nicely and quietly sitting and doing his homework .
Last year in kinder , parents could go and enter the class anytime after 2:40 to pick them up and I could always see him doing what he was supposed do. I also volunteered in his class and I know he was on tasks. Yes he might needed redirection at some point but nothing alarming
I still haven't talked to his teacher though .
Her remarks was from last week and she emailed me to propose Thursday for a conference
I asked if the principal or anyone from
Special ed would be there but she hasn't responded

sarahsweets
08-23-17, 02:27 AM
That seems a bit much for the third day of school.

Caco3girl
08-23-17, 10:58 AM
His pediatrician said that if I am not too concern, he would prefer to wait until November or December to evaluate him to give him time to adjust .
I'm not afraid of a possible diagnosis but it makes sense to wait
I just don't know if I will wait until November
The funny thing is that on mondays and Tuesday's , my son stayed in childcare for an hour and when I went to pick him up, both days , I saw him nicely and quietly sitting and doing his homework .
Last year in kinder , parents could go and enter the class anytime after 2:40 to pick them up and I could always see him doing what he was supposed do. I also volunteered in his class and I know he was on tasks. Yes he might needed redirection at some point but nothing alarming
I still haven't talked to his teacher though .
Her remarks was from last week and she emailed me to propose Thursday for a conference
I asked if the principal or anyone from
Special ed would be there but she hasn't responded

Typically in schools it isn't the principle who is over students it is a vice principle. I would email the guidance counselor and ask that he/she attend. In most states there is a system in place for kids who may need special help. In GA it is called the RTI, or response to intervention. There are 3 Tiers. Everyone is on Tier I, if they see a problem either behavioral or academic they move the kid to Tier II and ask for a meeting, they have to try interventions, if that doesn't work the kid is moved to Tier III and drastic interventions are tried. In my daughters case Tier III was that she was removed from class for 2 hours a day for intensive small group reading. After Tier III doesn't work they have a meeting to determine if the child qualifies for special education.

There are about a dozen steps between teacher sees a problem and special education. I battled for almost 2 years to get my son INTO special education and they didn't want to do it. They had to go through several data collections, interviews, teacher statements, a full battery of tests, behavior sign off sheets, point systems just for him where he could earn rewards...etc...they don't ever just jump into special education for ADHD.

Now, it is possible this teacher saw a behavior that has nothing to do with ADHD, Asperger's syndrome comes to mind. It isn't something that a parent would necessarily pick up on. If she opens with that I say good for her for trying to identify it early, if she opens up with "he's disruptive" I would hope someone is there to hear a first grade teacher talk about disruptive students, ESPECIALLY if she is new. Some people can't teach younger kids, they don't know how to control the room.

tana13us
08-23-17, 07:23 PM
So I am having the conference tomorrow Thursday .
Late afternoon
Any ideas on what to ask for and what do be looking for ?
I will ask if I can record it. I don't know if they will allow me though

Lunacie
08-23-17, 09:12 PM
So I am having the conference tomorrow Thursday .
Late afternoon
Any ideas on what to ask for and what do be looking for ?
I will ask if I can record it. I don't know if they will allow me though

Ask the question about the food policies that the teacher wouldn't answer.

What experience does the teacher have in spotting learning disabilities or mental health issues?
What were the things she was seeing that made her concerned about your son?
Does the teacher have any suggestions for helping your son adjust to a bigger class?

sarahsweets
08-24-17, 04:26 AM
Ask if its school protocol to say a child needs to be evaluated on the third day of school. Also ask if the teacher is psychic and reads tarot cards on the side to determine if kids need to be evaluated. ;)

Caco3girl
08-24-17, 10:03 AM
LOL, okay may want to skip the psychic question...although I agree Sarah!

Do your best to play dumb blonde, do NOT be confrontational. I never pull it off, but I do try. I usually get some answers early on until they put up the wall. Try with simple questions..."I can't imagine what you saw already that you want him to be evaluated, isn't everyone adjusting to first grade?"...it's passive aggressive but still non confrontational. "It's so weird that I asked about food procedure in the line and you asked me if I thought about him being evaluated, is that usually how this goes, the teacher just puts it out there, no email, just out there where everyone could hear?"...that's a bit confrontational, but still if you say it while chuckling it won't come across as confrontational, and the higher ups NEED to know she did that.

Good luck!

Caco3girl
08-25-17, 10:55 AM
Update?

tana13us
08-25-17, 02:43 PM
Teacher denied saying "brain" and "have him evaluated "
She said "unless you have a recording , you can't prove it
According to the teacher , it takes him a little longer to do certain things in class but she
Said that she doesn't think he needs an evaluation
She appreciated learning about where he's coming from (group of 12 kids and the
Fact that they owner had to line up at the end of the day and etc )

sarahsweets
08-27-17, 06:37 AM
Teacher denied saying "brain" and "have him evaluated "
She said "unless you have a recording , you can't prove it
WHOA! Waaaiitt a minute! Did you have a third party with you like the principle or vice principle? This is so out of line and you HAVE to report it to the higher ups. Even if you are satisfied with the rest of the meeting this is basically a threat, although veiled, How do you think she is going to keep treating your son if his mother called her out in the first week of school? Now you are going to have to monitor and watch everything like a hawk, and do not rely on your son to tell you things or be responsible for letting you know if anything is not right. A VP or P needs to know that she said this. Thats ridiculous and defensive. IME people that get that defensive that quickly usually have some guilt.

Lunacie
08-27-17, 11:40 AM
In her mind she didn't tell you to get your son evaluated, she asked if you had
ever thought about having him evaluated. That's how some people twist things
in their favor.

:mad: Ask her if you really have to record every conversation you have with her.