View Full Version : Mysterious illness

KaapoT
08-22-17, 06:04 AM
Hi all!

I'm about 40 year old man from Finland.
Nearly whole my life has been like living in a fog. Sometimes stronger, when brains do not function at all. Sometimes (couple weeks a year) seem a bit clearer.
I have been treated with antidepressants and antianxiety meds:
(Depression and GAD are "diagnosed" ;) )

- Citalopram 40mg - couple of years, no help to the original foggy feeling
Swithed 20 mg on fly to:
- Escitalopram 10mg - no help, actually every time dosage was dropped, feeled better (until the bad withdrawal)

(Here was a half year break of medication)

- Paroxetine 6 weeks (very bad reaction, anxtiety, chest pain, sleep problems, tiredness, had to quit very quickly), no help
- Valdoxan 3 months (agomelatine) turned into tears, no help
- Wellbutrin(Voxra in Finland) 2 months. Maybe some help, but did not feel myself.
- Sertraline up to 100mg, could not stand more, reduced to 25 mg after half a year. After year at 25mg, reduced to 12,5 mg (Not actual help, seem to hard to quit at this point, after about 2 year usage)

Other tested:
- Valium(Diapam), Xanor (nohelp, brains got more stuck)
- Lyrica (Brains "shut down" even at 25mg dosage after couple of days)
- Olanzapine for sleep (bad bad...no help)
- Seroquel for sleep (worst I have ever tried, made me total zombie next day)

Some key markers:
- Worse in autumn (like SAD)
- Feeling changes nearly at one week cycles...better...worse...better...worse
- The only external thing that seems to affect is barometric pressure???
- Sometimes brains function well, but generally quite foggy
- Feels like difficult to feel the environment
- Has UC. Was treated with Cortisol last autumn and during that 6 week cure did have about 2 week feeling, that "hey, I'm alive" and could even enjoy about things. Never felt like that before(however cortisone withdrawal was not nice).
- Had some operation 5 years ago, they used some Cocaine based anesthetic and then I had a very "clear" moment some minutes ?

Next step is seems to be ADD medication...
But does anybody have similar symptoms?

I'm still unsure, is this in my head or something else ;)

Sorry for a long story. Getting desperate...

finallyfound10
08-22-17, 03:00 PM
Welcome!!! This is a great place for support!

We aren't doctors and don't give medical advice. From your description it sounds like ADHD and Depression but also very different than either one with the barometric pressure issue.

Interesting that when you were on cortisol you felt better. Have you ever had your adrenal glands tested as they produce cortisol. Maybe you aren't producing enough of it and when you received synthetic cortisol, you felt "good" which is really normal. I suggest seeing an Endocrinologist.

From a very reputable site about cortisol and testing:
"Cortisol Levels Blood Test" (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cortisol-14668?print=true)

He may be a quack but I do like that he's an MD:
Look up "Cortisol Deficiency ("adrenal fatigue", "adrenal insufficiency")" by Henry Lindner, MD.

There are more people out there who deal with depression and barometric pressure! Try an internet search and you'll find others who've posted about the same thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

sarahsweets
08-23-17, 04:26 AM
what are you taking now?

Lewesis
08-23-17, 04:03 PM
Your symptoms sound like "Sluggish cognitive Tempo"

KaapoT
08-25-17, 09:12 AM
what are you taking now?

At the moment 12,5 mg sertraline. Lowered it on February.

However, jus now, about 2 weeks I have been very down. It began with some virus(caused vomiting and fever for whole family).
My temperature and tiredness did not stop after that. Still about 37,5 Celsius, that is abit raised for me (normally 36,6)
Feels like I'm becaming mad. Can not work...( 2 weeks home now)
One weird thing, that feelings often get worse on holiday.

KaapoT
09-16-17, 01:17 AM
Just took my first Concerta. A bit nervous, because my bad reactions to many medications.
I'll update in couple of days ;)

KaapoT
09-16-17, 01:24 AM
Welcome!!! This is a great place for support!

We aren't doctors and don't give medical advice. From your description it sounds like ADHD and Depression but also very different than either one with the barometric pressure issue.

Interesting that when you were on cortisol you felt better. Have you ever had your adrenal glands tested as they produce cortisol. Maybe you aren't producing enough of it and when you received synthetic cortisol, you felt "good" which is really normal. I suggest seeing an Endocrinologist.

From a very reputable site about cortisol and testing:
"Cortisol Levels Blood Test" (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cortisol-14668?print=true)

He may be a quack but I do like that he's an MD:
Look up "Cortisol Deficiency ("adrenal fatigue", "adrenal insufficiency")" by Henry Lindner, MD.

There are more people out there who deal with depression and barometric pressure! Try an internet search and you'll find others who've posted about the same thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Thank You for great links!
My morning cortisol levels are normal. No other cortisol tests done.
I have noticed, that often I could be very tired on day, but get better towards bed time.
-K

KaapoT
09-18-17, 12:59 AM
Two first days:
Took concerta at 7:30.
No clear difference. Tiredness comes after about 3 hours. A bit tightness in chest.
At about 20:00 feels better, like I come alive. And its time to go sleeping soon after that.
Sleep does not come easy. Used melatonine at 21:00 and very tiny piece of mirtazapine(about 1 mg). Morning anxiety has gone... Maybe need couple of days to get used to it...???

KaapoT
09-28-17, 06:37 AM
Hmm.. used one week generic Concerta (Sandoz). Feeling was very unstable. Felt, that in mornings was a bit too much medicated, mild anxiety and chest tightness. After about 3 hours feeled very tired and that lasted couple of hours. Late evenings were better.

Changed to Original Concerta today. Huge difference. Can concentrate much better, no anxiety feelings, more stable feeling...like I'm finally alive. Not tired all the day... And only 18 mg (I'm quite sensitive to medications)
Finally getting the right diagnose and treatment...(???) ADD

finallyfound10
09-28-17, 09:42 AM
That is great that the original Concerta is working for you! This may be what you are looking for but if not you will know it and there are other meds out there.