View Full Version : Concerta plus Adderall

san_juan
08-24-17, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a question/idea hoping to shed some light on it.

I noticed that on 27mg concerta my concentration isn't as good as it should be. I had 18mg methylphenidate hcl (not concerta but generic brand) I used two 18mg in one day and I had great concentration. On 27mg Concerta (brand name) I notice the effects are maybe slightly better than the 18mg I was taking and there are few points in the day where I feel extremely tired. Should I make a request to my psych to take two 18mg generic ER per day?

Second question is I have some adderall as well, I was wondering within a week, if I were to take 2 days of adderall and 4 days of methylphenidate hcl do any of you see an issue with that logic/thought?

Please if any of you have insight would help tremendously.

Thank you

namazu
08-24-17, 04:11 PM
Tell your doctor how you feel when taking the 27mg Concerta as prescribed -- that it helps some, but not enough. See what the doctor suggests -- one possibility may be raising the dose to 36mg.

Most people either respond well to both amphetamine-based (Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse) and methylphenidate-based (Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin) stimulants about equally, or they do better on one or the other. I don't know of much research supporting the use of both (together, or alternating) -- I don't think there's evidence to suggest that it's better that sticking with one or the other.

If the Adderall has not been prescribed to you, or if it has not been prescribed to take on alternating days with the Concerta, then don't take it.