View Full Version : I just joined an esteemed list...

MickeMouseFan
08-25-17, 07:51 AM
of university dropouts. :D

Four weeks into my Masters of Engineering and I feel like I am just flailing around. Was proactive at the start about not falling behind. Used calendars, scheduling and to do lists, all to no avail.

Just not understanding, focusing and remembering stuff nearly as well as students less than half my age, who also juggle a job, boyfriend/girlfriend and social lives on the side, with minimal sleep. Normal people are so capable! More power to them!

Already just completed a 3 year double major in Engineering Science and Chinese, and graduated 3 weeks ago. Very happy with that!

Best wishes for all the adults studying!

Batman55
08-26-17, 01:34 AM
Just not understanding, focusing and remembering stuff nearly as well as students less than half my age, who also juggle a job, boyfriend/girlfriend and social lives on the side, with minimal sleep. Normal people are so capable! More power to them!

That's not normal people you are talking about. Apparently you lack perspective on this. Most people do not even get any college degree. Another thing you are confused about is that many college students do not work while pursuing their major; at least not if they are lucky enough to get support.

Already just completed a 3 year double major in Engineering Science and Chinese, and graduated 3 weeks ago. Very happy with that!

And that is not even close to normal either.

I want to know why you are complaining.

And given your skewed perspective, what do you think about me? I was not able to handle the local community college. I wonder if this changes the meaning of what you said in my thread a little while ago.

userguide
08-26-17, 08:14 AM

Best wishes for all the adults studying!

This is very impressive!

I'd like to learn both Chinese and Engineering. Maybe you could give me some advice what to start with ?

TheGreatKing
08-26-17, 04:31 PM
Well good job to you sir! keep going and don't look back...... isnt that what they say, man i am super duper SMART... but i ve also dropped of 4 to 5 different colleges :P

MickeMouseFan
09-24-17, 09:19 PM
I'd like to learn both Chinese and Engineering. Maybe you could give me some advice what to start with ?

For Chinese, a really good series of books is titled "New Practical Chinese Reader". This was the textbook that my Chinese major used for 3 years. This textbook is used all over the world, and is printed by Beijing University. It comes with an audio CD. However, ADD, SCT, slow auditory processing may well be a serious impediment to your progression. But if you are passionate about learning a new language, absolutely nothing will stop you!

Engineering is not something to jump into without serious consideration. If you can do chemistry, calculus and physics without breaking into a sweat, then you won't find it too challenging. If you have no maths, chemistry or physics background, then a highschool, college or even your university will have these subjects at highschool level, which is a prerequisite for an engineering course at university level.

I was fully prepared to back to highschool in my late 30's to do these prerequisite subjects, but luckily my university had these subjects available for me to do before I began the engineering course - I ended up taking a whole semester to do these prerequisite units, whereas fresh highschool graduates who had already studied them did not lose a whole semester.

Be aware that studying at university with ADD will most probably lead to
a lot of stress, burnout and a lack of a social life. That has been my experience.

Good luck!