View Full Version : atypcal netflix

daveddd
08-25-17, 09:59 AM
watched it yesterday, it was a good show

but i was curious if the autism was accurate?

im not autistic so i dont know, was it a good portrayal ?

peripatetic
08-25-17, 11:42 AM
i haven't watched it but i've read some opinion pieces on it. EDIT: oh, and i'm not on the spectrum of course, so just re read your thread start and realize this is maybe not the post you're looking for...

i guess a main tenet of the autism community is "nothing about us without us", which seems reasonable. none of the main characters, writers, producers, or directors are on the spectrum. only one minor character.

the person who originally wrote the show is not on the spectrum.

and, the worst thing about it i've heard is that it's essentially a comedy and the pitfalls the main character experiences, and the social issues...those are what are supposed to generate the laughs.

as i said, i've not watched it, but i've read perspectives on it.

i think it would be too awkward for me to watch if it is true that the character's portrayal of autistic traits is what generates laughs. it would make me feel like i'm laughing at someone inappropriately.

daveddd
08-25-17, 11:48 AM
i haven't watched it but i've read some opinion pieces on it. EDIT: oh, and i'm not on the spectrum of course, so maybe not the post you're looking for...

i guess a main tenet of the autism community is "nothing about us without us", which seems reasonable. none of the main characters, writers, producers, or directors are on the spectrum. only one minor character.

the person who originally wrote the show is not on the spectrum.

and, the worst thing about it i've heard is that it's essentially a comedy and the pitfalls the main character experiences, and the social issues...those are what are supposed to generate the laughs.

as i said, i've not watched it, but i've read perspectives on it.

i think it would be too awkward for me to watch if it is true that the character's portrayal of autistic traits is what generates laughs. it would make me feel like i'm laughing at someone inappropriately.

i binged watch all 8 episodes, it actually appeared quite empathic towards autism IMO, but im not autistic so who knows

maybe an occasional laugh like sheldon from big bang type stuff

but there were even break offs and POV from the kid after an emotional scene talking about the too much empathy thing autistic people often mention

again , IDK the accuracy, just from my POV it didnt at all seem to make autism the butt of jokes

my personal feeling was that possibly making shows like this with all kinds of people could help regular people take the shoes of some of us others

daveddd
08-25-17, 11:54 AM
ive seen a couple negative things too

i guess i was just curious if it was meaningful from actual people with autism, or just the same obnoxious social justice warriors who protest anything , even stuff they know nothing about

daveddd
08-25-17, 11:55 AM
ive seen a couple negative things too

i guess i was just curious if it was meaningful from actual people with autism, or just the same obnoxious social justice warriors who protest anything , even stuff they know nothing about

the show had to have a consultant or something

psychopathetic
08-25-17, 01:40 PM
I don't have it (though I strongly suspect having a bit of it, like asperger's)...but I have been a part of 2 awesome kid's lives as they've grown...both of them with autism...and neither of them are like the kid in atypical. Both of the kids I know are much more immature that the guy on this show and require a lot more 1 on 1 help with everything.

But do realize that my experiences with autism are VERY narrow. I think autism is a sliding spectrum disorder...where on 1 end someone with it is VERY handicapped from this disorder and it effects all aspects of their lives...this is where the 2 kids I know are at...on the otherside of the spectrum individuals can be quite high functioning.
Then there's all that space in between the 2 extremes which is where the kid in atypical seems to exist.

So my experiences with autism are all to the extreme left. I really wouldn't know what autism in the middle of the spectrum would look like.

Also.../guilty...I haven't seen atypical. Just watched a trailer and a couple of clips.

daveddd
08-25-17, 01:45 PM
I don't have it (though I strongly suspect having a bit of it, like asperger's)...but I have been a part of 2 awesome kid's lives as they've grown...both of them with autism...and neither of them are like the kid in atypical. Both of the kids I know are much more immature that the guy on this show and require a lot more 1 on 1 help with everything.

But do realize that my experiences with autism are VERY narrow. I think autism is a sliding spectrum disorder...where on 1 end someone with it is VERY handicapped from this disorder and it effects all aspects of their lives...this is where the 2 kids I know are at...on the otherside of the spectrum individuals can be quite high functioning.
Then there's all that space in between the 2 extremes which is where the kid in atypical seems to exist.

So my experiences with autism are all to the extreme left. I really wouldn't know what autism in the middle of the spectrum would look like.

Also.../guilty...I haven't seen atypical. Just watched a trailer and a couple of clips.

yea, part of the show is a support group which mentions the kid is on the higher level of functioning

sometimes i wonder in all of these disorders is the higher level of functioning that great

would i be better off if i didnt know how different i was

the difference part tends to drive my depression even deeper

psychopathetic
08-25-17, 01:51 PM
would i be better off if i didnt know how different i was

the difference part tends to drive my depression even deeper

wow, that's interesting to me. The 2 kids I get to hang with (they're like brothers to me) don't seem to really know anything is different about them...and they're happy as can be...and I'm glad for that. They've got way too much to deal with...I'm so glad neither of them have social anxieties or anything like that.

TygerSan
09-03-17, 08:50 PM
I've watched the first 3 episodes. One of the criticisms I read about the show is that it encourages folks to laugh at rather than with the main character. Personally, I really didn't get that vibe at all but I guess I could see how others might laugh at cringeworthy situations.

I really dislike the mother. Haven't really found any redeeming qualities so far and that's unfortunate.

daveddd
09-03-17, 08:59 PM
"One of the criticisms I read about the show is that it encourages folks to laugh at rather than with the main character. Personally, I really didn't get that vibe at all"

same with me, it's why i wondered if it was people jumping to conclusions , or maybe they went in with the mindset of its laughing at autism and wont change their mind

honestly i thought it did a good job of taking the kids/young adult (i think he's 18) perspective and maybe helping people to see things from his perspective

in the old days (think saved by the bell) their nerds, or geeks were always smart and very socially ackward (im not retroactively diagnosing TV characters, just example) and the point was to laugh at them and make fun of them