View Full Version : Any treatment for ADHD/Social Anxiety?

jasonnike97
08-27-17, 01:28 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently perusing my acting career, but I have been struggling with ADHD and Social Anxiety my whole life and wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this, I'm from Australia and I have no idea who the first person Is I should talk to a Psychologist or GP?.

Thanks for any advice,

sarahsweets
08-27-17, 06:18 AM
You actually want to see a psychiatrist. They have the training and can prescribe medication.

TheGreatKing
08-27-17, 03:21 PM
I had to go to My GP to get referred to a psychiatrist, so maybe you can try that.

concentric
10-06-17, 07:49 AM
Are you sure that you have ADHD or do you think it is the anxiety creating the problems? Cymbalta works well for anxiety, and for me, it worked within a couple of days. If you have stage fright, you could try low dose beta blockers which is very easy to get. You would need to see a GP which will refer you to a psychiatrist if you do wish to get an ADHD medication.

sarahsweets
10-08-17, 06:39 AM
Are you sure that you have ADHD or do you think it is the anxiety creating the problems? Cymbalta works well for anxiety, and for me, it worked within a couple of days. If you have stage fright, you could try low dose beta blockers which is very easy to get. You would need to see a GP which will refer you to a psychiatrist if you do wish to get an ADHD medication.

I have bipolar too but the cymbalta worked for me in about 4 days, I was inpatient by day four I was ready to get the hell out of there,

ToneTone
10-09-17, 05:37 PM
There are great medications for anxiety ... and great therapy techniques as well.

ADHD ... more likely to see success with medication ... But the right kind of therapy can help as well, at least help with the pain of repeated failure and frustration and difficulty with conforming with societal norms.

I have definitely reduced my anxiety with ongoing therapy, and yes, that helps my concentration. The reduced anxiety also shows up in catching myself when I'm prone to panic at the first sign that something is going wrong.

On the other hand, I think my ADHD medications allowed me to focus so that I could benefit from therapy and follow up with some of the strategies I've worked on with my therapist.

I'd say start with a psychiatrist or with your GP ... and get a recommendation for a psychiatrist and/or a therapist.

Strange as it seems, as paradoxical as it seems, I've have noticed that a lot of actors and great performers suffer anxiety and depression. Some go public with their conditions ... like the comedian Sarah Silverman, who recently disclosed that she took medication for panic attacks. A lot of performers seem to come up with gimmicks and tricks they use to work around the fear and frustration with constant auditioning (and rejections therefrom). A ton of actors also don't watch their films or their shows. They're afraid they won't like what they see.

Good luck.

Tone

Fraser_0762
10-09-17, 07:57 PM
I'm taking 5HTP for depression and social anxiety, over the shelf and it actually works.