View Full Version : Recently diagnosed - very tired on meds - help!

Shylove
08-29-17, 02:28 AM
Hello all!

This is my first post here, and I'm very excited to talk to others who understand, and hoping to find others with the same issues or input about the two medications I've tried so far. I have never been in any kind of forum in my life and generally just like to lurk and soak in the info, but I am really feeling the need to connect and desperate to get some input!

So I was officially diagnosed a few months ago, at the age of 38 with inattentive type ADHD. I have also struggled with anxiety and depression nearly my whole life, which I can now see was actually stemming from my inability to focus, be on time, remember important things (basically I've always said I "sucked at life" for lack of a better explanation, and have felt like a failure).

I am a very creative type, and finally pushed past my insecurities to realize a life-long dream - starting a photography business. It blossomed faster than I could imagine and what what once seemed so promising after a life filled with failure, ended up going down the same path due to my disorganization, poor planning, inability to keep up with the monotonous editing of the photos that weren't interesting to me, showing up late to sessions, etc. I felt utterly devastated, and more mad and frustrated with myself than ever before. Which led me to look for a proper diagnosis/medication for the first time in years, as I had given up on antidepressants in my 20's.

Long story longer, I ended up being given Concerta, which surprised me considering my previous addictions (I turned to alcohol and cocaine in my 20's to self-medicate and was honest with her about that) but since I have been clean and sober for almost 7 years, she felt okay with the extended-release types of ADHD meds, as they are less abusable. Either way, I started at 27mgs, read all about the insomnia and was terrified, but instead fell asleep for a full afternoon my first day on it and ended up being a total zombie every day after for 1 month. I really like my psychiatrist, but you could tell she didn't believe me. Said she had never heard of such a thing. Upped dose to 54mgs. Still felt sleepy, coupled with feeling spaced out, no improvement in focus.

I read about methylphenidate working for some, and amphetamines working for others, so I asked if Vyvanse would be an option. She started me on 20mgs - not as sleepy, but felt almost TOO calm, and completely content doing absolutely nothing, which is not like me. Zero motivation, minimal improvement in focus. Upped the dose to 40 - felt sleepy, heavy limbs, basically ready for a nap all day, same amount of focus - minimal. Psychiatrist looks at me like I'm lying, but I'm not. Not a great feeling.

So I may have gone a bit overboard with extra info there, I do tend to do that lol. Basically, has anyone experienced sleepiness rather than focus/stimulation from these meds? I feel very disheartened as I really had my hopes up that maybe there was something that could actually give me a little help and that maybe I could save my business. Maybe if these meds didn't make me so tired I could focus better, but I find it hard to focus and remember things when all I feel like doing is going to sleep. I am also a single mother of 2 young boys, so the sleepiness makes caring for them twice as hard.

Sorry for the novel, guess I needed to vent! Any input would be appreciated!!

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 07:22 AM
Hello all!

This is my first post here, and I'm very excited to talk to others who understand, and hoping to find others with the same issues or input about the two medications I've tried so far. I have never been in any kind of forum in my life and generally just like to lurk and soak in the info, but I am really feeling the need to connect and desperate to get some input!

So I was officially diagnosed a few months ago, at the age of 38 with inattentive type ADHD. I have also struggled with anxiety and depression nearly my whole life, which I can now see was actually stemming from my inability to focus, be on time, remember important things (basically I've always said I "sucked at life" for lack of a better explanation, and have felt like a failure).

I am a very creative type, and finally pushed past my insecurities to realize a life-long dream - starting a photography business. It blossomed faster than I could imagine and what what once seemed so promising after a life filled with failure, ended up going down the same path due to my disorganization, poor planning, inability to keep up with the monotonous editing of the photos that weren't interesting to me, showing up late to sessions, etc. I felt utterly devastated, and more mad and frustrated with myself than ever before. Which led me to look for a proper diagnosis/medication for the first time in years, as I had given up on antidepressants in my 20's.

Long story longer, I ended up being given Concerta, which surprised me considering my previous addictions (I turned to alcohol and cocaine in my 20's to self-medicate and was honest with her about that) but since I have been clean and sober for almost 7 years, she felt okay with the extended-release types of ADHD meds, as they are less abusable. Either way, I started at 27mgs, read all about the insomnia and was terrified, but instead fell asleep for a full afternoon my first day on it and ended up being a total zombie every day after for 1 month. I really like my psychiatrist, but you could tell she didn't believe me. Said she had never heard of such a thing. Upped dose to 54mgs. Still felt sleepy, coupled with feeling spaced out, no improvement in focus.

I read about methylphenidate working for some, and amphetamines working for others, so I asked if Vyvanse would be an option. She started me on 20mgs - not as sleepy, but felt almost TOO calm, and completely content doing absolutely nothing, which is not like me. Zero motivation, minimal improvement in focus. Upped the dose to 40 - felt sleepy, heavy limbs, basically ready for a nap all day, same amount of focus - minimal. Psychiatrist looks at me like I'm lying, but I'm not. Not a great feeling.

So I may have gone a bit overboard with extra info there, I do tend to do that lol. Basically, has anyone experienced sleepiness rather than focus/stimulation from these meds? I feel very disheartened as I really had my hopes up that maybe there was something that could actually give me a little help and that maybe I could save my business. Maybe if these meds didn't make me so tired I could focus better, but I find it hard to focus and remember things when all I feel like doing is going to sleep. I am also a single mother of 2 young boys, so the sleepiness makes caring for them twice as hard.

Sorry for the novel, guess I needed to vent! Any input would be appreciated!!

Sometimes too high of a dose can cause sleepiness.